Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
shift knob

i am working on my design for a custom aluminim cast shift knob
for my gt but would like to no what brand or from were i have seen of these wood shift knobs on gt's if i rember they were on
the kadetts i think. any help would be apreciated.pictures of other
aftermarket knobs tat have been used on gt's would also be apreciated.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
I have 2 of the original AMCO opel aftermarket shift knobs. One is wood, the other is leather. They both have the "Blitz" emblem on them. I will post pics tonight when I get home.

·
Opel Key Master
5,230 Posts
shift knobs

How would you make a custom aluminum shift knob and makeit attach. Those threads on the shifter shaft are not really threads. The originals were I belive put in really hot water to allow to swell out and then put on the shaft. Would you use set screws on the sides? Just wondering if you knew about the originals or not.
Keith

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shift knob

yes my idea is still to make my custom shift knob havent gotten around to make the mold yet or even finilizing the knob. but yes i was planning either on a set screw or maybe if i think of something creative that would working using that, still working on it though will post more info when i get farther along.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,790 Posts
If you are going to make your own, try designing it with a rubber or teflon inner sleeve so that you can just push it down over the threads. careful selection of materials will result in a nice tight fit that doesn't come off or rotate (much).

I bought a simple round aluminum ball shift knob at Autozone (I think) for about $15. A little weird to put on (had to modify it a little), but it works just fine. Looks good, too. Now that I think about it, it would be easy to modify it for a little inset logo or something.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Come to think of it, I bought a custom GT shift knob about 17 years ago. Its black leather with the yellow GT emblem in the middle of it. I think I paid something stupid, like $12.

You can sorta see it in this pic.

Attachments

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shift knob

hey voodoou is that a cb radio over by the dash on the passenger side????? just wondering in my little suburb of palos verdes im trying to revive the CB radio........

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
That would be a no on the CB. It is an Alpine 10 channel equalizer/amp for my stereo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts