Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My opel came with a shift knob and there are no threads in it, it is plastic is there a trick to do it? it almost seems like it needs to be tapped.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No i got the old one off (it was a pita) and now im trying to put the new one on.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still havent been able to put the new shift knob on, do i have to hear up the threaded shift lever and then screw the new knob on really quick?

·
Registered
136 Posts
There should be two set screws to look for. 1 is for the reverse cable and is inside the actually noob. The second one is in one the front of the shaft and stops the noob from moving around. Hope this helps...if you still cant find what I'm talking about maybe I can find time when its still light out side to snap a few pics for you.

....BTW are you using a stock shifter noob or something more exoitc....good luck!

·
Super Moderator
6,025 Posts
I haven't done this yet, but I have a new knob from OGTS, so I guess I will soon. The Factory Service Manual says to just remove the old knob by knocking it off, which breaks the old knob. It says that since "...the gearshift lever end tube is provided with transverse grooves for which reason the old button (knob) cannot be reused". I would take the whole shifter off (which isn't that much work), and just immerse the old knob in boiling water until it is REALLY hot, and then try to slide it off. Can't hurt to try.

To install a new knob, heat it to 176 degrees F in boiling water (I'm not making this up!) and slide it on before it cools, maintaining a space of 0.3 inch between the bottom of the knob and the top of the reverse lockout ring. And make sure it is pointing the right direction (for the shift pattern) since it is now permanently attached

Any other suggestions or experiences?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Intersting...I guess mine isint stock. I have a screw in the front that keeps my knob in place. I just had to take out the screw and the noob pulled right off. The actaully knob looks to be stock and I really dont think they changed the shaft....maybe the bored out the inside of the noob to slide on and off...either way it is kind of odd. Has anyone seen a knob like mine where it just pulls on and off?

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the old knob had the PO's initials on it and it had 2 set screws on that the new one is nos and it is black plasticy rubber with no set screws.

·
Opeler
29 Posts
kmon said:
I have a screw in the front that keeps my knob in place. I just had to take out the screw and the noob pulled right off. The actaully knob looks to be stock and I really dont think they changed the shaft....maybe the bored out the inside of the noob to slide on and off...either way it is kind of odd. Has anyone seen a knob like mine where it just pulls on and off?
Yes i have one like yours, it isn't stock though, mine is a hurst shift knob.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts