Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Opeler
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a diagram of the shifter mechanism for a 4spd 73' GT?

Mine is frozen up and I need to get it unfrozen so I can use reverse again. :eek: Just don't want to wind up taking something apart that shouldn't be or wind up breaking something.

Thanks,

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
Do you need a shifter? Is the locking ring stuck or broken? I may have a spare you can have.

·
Opeler
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it was all working when it went into storage ~6 years ago so I'm thinking that it's just froze up.

By fiddling with the allen screw at the top I've gotten the reverse "handle" to move so I know it's not that or the cable inside. I've never taken it apart or looked at it before because it was working, so I don't know 100% how it works. It appears that the metal part that is "keyed" to the rest of the linkage is supposed to slide up inside the "bell" shaped part above it. That's not happening. I was thinking of possibly hammering out the locking "wrist" pins at the bottom and work at it from that way but without a diagram I'm afraid of breaking something.

Nothing seems broken, I think it's just rusted and needs lots and lots of WD-40.

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
Yes,

The part that is keyed is to slide up and down. I never took mine apart. If you can work it loose with WD-40, then you should be fine. If you have a Factory Manual, I recall a cross sectional picture in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.