Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Opeler
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done something creative as a shock tower cap? I would settle for the OGTS aluminum ones, and apply a vinyl logo, and I had an Opel logo wheel cap, but my painter lost it. So, what else is out there?
Wes

·
Can Opeler
3,468 Posts
I shaved down some Opel logo center caps from eBay and superglued them on to the original caps.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,203 Posts
Many people have used Opel center caps. I use the OGTS ones, but I had them chromed. There are tons of aftermarket Opel wheel center caps, like Knorm is using, on Ebay from China. Just pic a type that is the right diameter in mm's. They tend to degrade over time when exposed to heat and sunlight, but then should last a decent enough time in the engine compartment. Buy a set of 4 so that you have spares to replace them if they degrade over time. Their glue often sucks and dries out, so I suggest adding 3M emblem tape to the back.

·
Opeler
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, I have been trying to get the OGTS aluminum ones, but they are continuously out of stock. The plastic ones from Chinas are partially open sided, with retainer rings, and don't look like they will fit like the OEM Opel caps do, as a tower cap. Looking at eBay now, the only OEM examples available look like they beaten into place with the claw side of a hammer.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,203 Posts
I don't know what you're looking at, but if you want his look you buy this type.

I think this one is just the stick on blitzes:

I think this one is the stick on blitzes applied to generic, blank, plastic center caps:

You have to measure the ID of the shock tower opening, convert to mm, and then search for "Opel wheel center caps ???mm" and enter the mm size you need. Then pick amongst the ones that come up.

·
Opeler
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I found a single cap on eBay that looked a little nicked up where the logo is, but the chrome around the cap looks good. So I will grind the center field of the cap flush, and then glue down the appropriately sized stick-on Blitz. Hopefully, I can get it to look like Knorm65's!

·
Can Opeler
3,468 Posts
The second link of Gordos are identical to my center caps I used. As I recall I sanded down the tabs on the center caps. The back side is flat after do that.

The shock tower caps are domed so you then have to shave the dome off and make it into a ring. That leaves you a nice flat ring to glue the center cap onto.

Reactions: The Scifi Guy
1 - 8 of 8 Posts