Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on my front suspension this winter. I removed it from the car, disassembled it without any problems except for the shock tower mounts where the new, large poly bushing resides. I could not get the two pieces to come apart. I had every thing sandblasted and then painted all the pieces. I saw in one thread where someone cut the poly bushing to get it into the retainer cup. I can do that but then what is the trick to getting the assembly to then slide over the shock tower? It seems the bushing is just too large!

Is this one of those pieces like the "donut" that must be microwaved to fit? These are the last pieces to be reinstalled, what is up with that?

Paul in Mi

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If you can't pry them apart you may need to soak them in rust dissolver over night or two then you should be able to get them apart.
Have these already been sand blasted and painted?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can't pry them apart you may need to soak them in rust dissolver over night or two then you should be able to get them apart.
Have these already been sand blasted and painted?
Yes, they have been sand blasted and painted. I am not below soaking them and repainting, but not sure how that will allow me to mount them to the shock tower? It is my understanding the bushing just fits in the bottom cup. Is the bushing and the bottom cup drawn up into the lower cup once all three pieces are separately on the shock tower/

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Yes once you pull the 2 cups apart then you can get the old one out to cleanup and repaint then you just put the new bushing in the lower cup and sandwich it with the upper cup and slide it over the tower
Once you mount it it will snug up for you so you don't have to apply any pressure really to put them back together HTH

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Yes once you pull the 2 cups apart then you can get the old one out to cleanup and repaint then you just put the new bushing in the lower cup and sandwich it with the upper cup and slide it over the tower
Once you mount it it will snug up for you so you don't have to apply any pressure really to put them back together HTH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts