Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahh.. backed out of the garage this afternoon for a cruise and heard a horrible "thunk" when I applied the breaks.

Jacked up the front end and popped off the wheels for a better look.

I found that one of the stabilizer bolts was loose on the front passenger side but a closer look showed a "gap" between the dampening ring and the outer ring retainer (above the top of the shock absorber) and that the shock tower itself had come loose from the front crossmember.

The drivers side shock tower (shock holdy thingy) is very obviously "spot" welded to the front crossmember while this weld has completly let go on the other side.

You don't really notice that the weld is gone until you take the weight off the front end and the gap appears.

I figure I will just get this welded back into place but thought that maybe someone else has had this happen?

And it was such a beautiful day for a drive too... :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
uh oh

Well, it looks like the front crossmember itself has broken.

Sooo. If anyone knows where I get another for a '71 Opel GT I am all ears.

In the interim I may as well pull the front clip out. If I can't find a replacment I will find a local welder to patch up the piece I have (ick).

·
371 Posts
ouch

can u have one made there is two gt in srcap yard over heremay be i can get one for you

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Opel GT source sells them for $120 (boy was I pleasantly surprised).

I am going to see what all the ball joints/bushings add up to and may just get a new front end completely.

I wish parts for my mundane car where as cheap :)

Thanks for scouting out the other parts!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Progress..

The front clip does indeed drop right out after removing the four corner bolts and the little one in the center.

The only two little problems:

-The Upper shock tower "ring container" on the one side bound a little and I had to unbolt the two bolts there

-The steering rod was a little sticky comming out of the steering mast universal joint. I had to pry it open a little with a screw driver, add plenty of WD-40 and jack the front clip up and down a few times (watch that you don't bind the rod in the firewall hole too much)

Old news to many, all new to me :)

My question.. my manual doesn't really list "all" the bushings and little rubber bits. I want to replace all of those things (and likely the ball joints as well) but OpelGTSource wanted a list of parts...

Any idea where I can get a detailed blow up of all the front end components? My 71-75 Chilton's manual just names the "big" pieces.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I can't say for sure that "all" the parts are accounted for a quick tour the "OpelGTSource" parts store totalled 1900 USD.

That includes the sport sway bars, springs, bushings, and KONI shocks (both front and rear).

I am actually thinking that there *may be other shocks that work with the stiffer and lower suspension for less than the 500 USD KONIS listed there... If there is I may just replace the whole lot.

Are there other shocks that will work with the lowered suspension? I won't be racing this car for years (if ever).

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
Koni Shocks

While Koni Shocks may "Cost" more, you get sosmething from them that most others don't provide, REBUILDABILITY & CUSTOMABILITY. Meaning.... Its the last set you will ever need to buy, because they can be sent back to Koni of America and have them rebuilt. Actually, at the same time you can get them custom valved and adjusted for ride height changes and many of their shocks can be converted to "Adjustable". The most versitle shock you can own is Rebound Adjustable. You won't believe the difference in handling these shocks make!

There maybe several lower cost shocks out there that will work for the GT, but will be listed under a different application. Some of the racer folks may have that info.

In my case, 75 Manta, I bought a set of Blistien shocks back in 1978. It cost me less (this year) to get get them rebuilt and custom valved than they cost new. What a Deal !!!

GL
Paul

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
And Another thing

As a cost point of reference............

I spent 1000 USD for a set of rebound adjustable Koni struts for my NEON R/T. (Same strut as the NEON ACR uses). So 500 USD for Koni's on a GT sounds like a GREAT Deal to me!!

Paul

·
Super Moderator
13,577 Posts
Very true Paul.

To put it into perspective......
Struts for a WRC (World Rally Car) are approximately $4000 EACH.
They are replaced at every event.

OEM struts for many newer cars are in the $400 to $500 per unit range.

Bob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol... OK. So maybe I was just a little sticker "shocked".

I will be sure to post back when I get the new parts installed.

Thanks for the input and persuassion (you know I really wanted the KONIS anyway <deg>)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts