Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres the thing. right now i have a 1990 jeep cherokee which i just bought at the beginning of this year, i got a really good deal on it, but i've always wanted an opel gt. i have a 1971 gt, but its a peice of crap and basically a parts car right now. a couple days ago i found a 73 gt for sale, $1150. the guy says it runs well, but the cosmetics of the interior and some cracks in paint job is why its cheap. now the paintjob isn't too bad, but the interior is pretty beat up. this doesn't concern me though because basically anything wrong cosmetically with his car i can fix with my POS. now heres the tough part. i need to know the pratical part of having an opel gt as my only car. i'm 17 soon to be 18, so i can't really afford two cars. so i need to know if i should keep my jeep or if i should buy the opel and use that as my only car. are opels reliable, eventhough they are 30 yrs old? how much would i most likely have to put into this car to make it a car that i can drive everyday, too work, too school, just around town kinda thing. now, my jeep will last me a long time because it only has about 83k miles, the opel i want has around 150k miles.
i know this is kinda rambled, but all i really need to know is if i could trust an opel to be my only car and if it would hopefully last me through college. i am willing to put some money into it because my jeep is worth around $2000-2500. please help, thnx.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
if you live up north or in the east, i'd say dont get it for the only vehicle. Opels are light and dont like snow as well as a 4x4 jeep. if you like the opel and you can afford to get it going without cobeling everything up, i'd say take the opel. you'll hate only being able to haul 2 people legally, but 3 and 4 is possable. i know from firsthand experience. i can't speak for my opel, but most everybody on here seems to have a fairly reliable car after they work their bugs out.

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
The most important thing is your location like Greensmurf said. The Cherokee is a much better choice if snow is a factor at all. I have had several jeeps, and I would have to say that the Jeep will be easier to get parts for, but parts are more complicated and potentially MORE expensive due to the complexity. For example, many members here have entirely rebuilt their GT's (with many performance mods) for less than $10,000 (some of those cars started off as "parts cars" or worse). In the Cherokee, $5,000 + gets you a new transmission and a transfer case, maybe. The next step is how mechanically inclined are you? Both the GT and the Cherokee have an equal potential to leave you on the side of the road (even though the Cherokee has a twenty year advantage). The difference is, if you are not mechanically inclined, you have to find someone to fix the car for you. Much easier to find a jeep mechanic than a Opel mechanic.

Being a recent college graduate, I sympathize with your situation. I had an opportunity to sell my '84 Grand Wagoneer and buy a '65 Mustang in my first year at school. My dad talked me out of it, with the argument that I should focus on school and then I can I have as many hobby cars as I can afford when I graduate. A year after I graduated, I have Opel GT, a new Regal GS, a '66 mustang (an inherited abandonded project), and an integra (bought for $50, might rally it, might use it for a beater).

If I were in your situation, I would, A) become an active, participating member of OpelGT.com to learn as much as possible in your four to five years at school (I took six), B) Search the past forums here for ideas and concepts C)Chip away at your POS if you have a little time and/or money on weekends and summers home from school, in four years you might have a fully restored car that is *yours* D) watch the classifieds section of this website, and ebay for good deals on parts. E) IF you can afford the $1,000 for the other GT, go for it, but don't do it as a replacement to the Cherokee.

Sorry so long, but I feel like I have been there before, Hope it helped.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
keep the jeep

In all fairness, I've had an Opel as a daily driver almost constantly for almost 15 years. In that time I've never once called for a tow while driving one.

I have however changed transmissions at a rest area, rebuilt carbs on the side of the road, put out an engine compartment fire, rebuilt master cylinders in a parts store parking lot (twice), adjusted valve lash on the side of the turnpike (14 times in one trip), installed a GM alternator at a Walmart at 3am without any power tools, and driven 200 miles with a gas can strapped to the roof gravity draining into the carb due to a dead fuel pump.

I need new front brakes on my DD Kadett right now. By the time I get done upgrading the brakes and rebuilding the front suspension, I'll probably have spent $800 in just parts. I can buy 1 or 2 complete Jeep Cherokees for parts for that much. So could you, so why would any problem cost more than that?

Keep the Jeep, get good grades, and tinker around with the "POS" GT you have if you really want to.

My $.02.

·
299 Posts
keep the jeep i boght my other opel because i sold another car but i always have extras to drive(not no more)
anyway the jeep will run forever and is a nice vehice for college dreams your drems for you opel in colege and spend what money you have after student loans on the car
plus how are you going to take a months worth of laundry home in a gt

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
My 2-cents: Keep the Jeep. Buy the Opel IF you can and set it some where for later. Fix it when you can after you get your self set up some what. If you go camping/partying, you got the Jeep. When you can, the ladies will love to ride in the Opel cause they are cool. Just figure you budget, go from there.
I got a Jeep, LaBaron, 69 & 71 Opel and a 850 Norton cycle in a box. Toys accumulate!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks

thanks to everyone who replied to my question. i have already thought of buying the opel just to play with, but i have a problem, no garage, i live in an apartment. so, i guess for now, i will have to stay with my jeep and buy an opel when i get out of school, or maybe just into a place where i have a garage. at least i have my little POS in the mean time. thanks for everyones help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts