Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Opel has the original purchase papers (window sticker, cancelled check, invoice, books, and marketing colatteral). The body and interior is nearly perfect with only 48k miles. It ran, however it needed a lower end rebuild to get it back to sound condition. I decided to put a 2.4L and 5 spd in it instead of rebuilding the 1.9L.

At this point I do not plan to put the original engine back in it, but should I keep all of the original parts in for someone to restore back to original? Or is there basically nobody out there who cares enough to make it worth keeping? It seems that most people are just having fun with theirs and not concerned about keeping a pristine example for show.

Any opinions welcome.

Thanks,

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
in my opnoin....

in my opnoin any running opel is a good opel.... therefore if it makes you happy and it runs then go for it. just don't reck it please!!! my 2 cents

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
nobody cares

I for one do not like to see them altered that they can never be put back. The bigger motor is ok but I think that for future generations you should keep all the original equipment. I see all the modifieds and in the back of my head I think that those cars are now and forever permanently tied to the builder. There is one for sale pretty close that says it had a V6 in it. I wouldn't even go look at it. I think that when you start modifying an old car you should take into consideration the generations that follow. Where would most of us be if there were no original models to restore or look to for parts? I understand that everyone has there own tastes and opinions, these are just mine. It's like an xke with a 350 in it. I see the logic but it still makes me sick.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Origi-digi!

Putting a 2.4l and 5-speed in is not going to need any radical surgery to body work so go for it.

As for keeping the original 1.9 and 4-speed; it will just deteriorate sitting in a shed unused and Opel never coded the engines to the chassis number. Though it is possible to find out which engine originally came in a car by contacting Opel's Public Relations people in Germany.

What I am trying to say is it may be better to let someone else who needs a low milage motor and/or box use them rather than abandon them to a fate of slow deterioration, unloved, in a garage. Even if it does need a bottom end rebuild the rest should be pretty good at 48K - unless someone ran it out of oil or water:(

·
Opeler
4 Posts
all original Opel GT

I am looking for an original OPEL GT with good interior, no rust, window sticker and documentation. Rebuilding the original engine would be ok with me (and worth more than different motor and transmission).
My $.02 worth
RobertH
Want to sell your car?

·
Opel Junkie
113 Posts
reading some of these posts almost makes me weep with joy!! i was hoping that there were others out there who wanted to keep their cars original like i do. i plan on putting in a new ignition and running a weber, but other than that, there are no modifications planned for me!!

i like the 1.9...the car was designed for it, after all. it is definitely not the fastest car on the street, but it is very nimble and a blast to drive. besides, the "cool" factor around here is in original, unmolested cars...not hacked up, wildly modified strip cars. i have more respect for a guy (or girl) that can put together and maintain a bone stock original gt the way it came from the factory.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with mjewell. After all, weren't we originally attracted to the GT based on it's own merit? I too enjoy seeing a GT restored or maintained in it's original condition, or at least close to it. The only mod on my '71 is a weber and future mods will include a ported intake and new seatbelts, but other than that it will stay pretty much original. Although I do like some of the mods that I have seen others do, and there free to do so, I personally just think that to keep the car as original as possible is in a small way honoring the GT's heritage.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
6 of one....

With few exceptions, my upbringing in the Mopar community introduced me to two basic types that "drive" old cars. One type likes it all origional and puts 300 miles a year on the car. The other type drives the snot out of it and updates everything possible to make the driving of it better and safer, leaving very little of the origionality.

That first group pay homage to the origional car by keeping it the way the designers designed it and by showing it off 3 or 4 times a year. In the Mopar circles this would be the $45,000 Hemi Superbee, or the $5000 perfect GT.

The latter group pays homage to the origional car by sharing at least most of it with everyone every day. This would include the $500 Dodge Dart, or the $5000 GT you can drive home to TX from Seattle.

With the 2.4 and 5-speed, your car is now one of the latter types of cars. The only real reason to keep the origional motor would be to sell it to someone who wants it to be the former type of car. Since the "value" of the car probably doesn't change much with what you've done, it all comes down to storage space.

I don't mean to start anything here, this is just one opinion, I like beautiful trailered Opels too, I may be way off base, my #'s are probably wrong, I am on pain killers right now, I drive my Kadett every day, my GT is a trailer queen, I own the $500 Dart too, and I can't shop at Wal-Mart anymore without planning in an extra 20 min to talk to the total stranger that WILL be waiting next to my car to talk to me about it when I try to go home.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
I agree with Old Opel Guy. My GT is stock. The only mods I am going to perform are the Weber, Petronix upgrade, AM-FM radio and LED Tail Lights. It is set up that I can change everything back to stock in about 1 hour.

The car is a classic. This one is staying that way.

My brother has a 63 Sunbeam Alpine(titled 63, but it is really a 62), but he is having the entire drivetrain removed and refitted with a ford V6 and a 5 speed. I told him not to discard the old drivetrain in case he wants to go back to original, but I don't think he will listen. It will become a shell of a british car. He wants to have a dependable car. I told him to buy a Miata, but I just got a funny look.

Just my 0.02. On the other hand if you want to modify your car, it is your right. Do what you enjoy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you have a good running all orignal opel why mess with it!
An opel 1900 if taken care of is bullet proof!
An engine takes months and lowers the value of your car.
I tried Trick I knew to unseize the 1900 in my GT be for I started my swap. And sense then I've learned afew others I wish I would have tryed.
All that said the real choice is yours.
:)

Lee

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Different Strokes ....

How many of us would not be SERIOUSLY tempted by a brand new, no miles, 1900, in the show room now, $30,000 GT????:D

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Re: 6 of one....

oldopelguy said:
With few exceptions, . . .

. . .

The latter group pays homage to the origional car by sharing at least most of it with everyone every day. This would include the $500 Dodge Dart, or the $5000 GT you can drive home to TX from Seattle.

With the 2.4 and 5-speed, your car is now one of the latter types of cars. . . .

I don't mean to start anything here, this is just one opinion, I like beautiful trailered Opels too, . . . I drive my Kadett every day, my GT is a trailer queen, . . . and I can't shop at Wal-Mart anymore without planning in an extra 20 min to talk to the total stranger that WILL be waiting next to my car to talk to me about it when I try to go home.
Were you perhaps referring to my $1400 Kadett LS 1.9 A/T with just over 26K original miles (now 30K) that made that memorable sojourn a few months back?!

My '69 Kadett LS 1.9 AT

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
maybe

That's where those particular end points came from, but that's not particularly important to the point.

The point I was trying to make is that there really isn't much dollar value difference between a "perfect" 1.9 4-speed and a well done 2.4 5-speed Opel GT. Some will argue each way, but when it comes to selling the car, were they both sitting on the lot next to each other with the same price tag there would be no way to tell which would go first as it would all depend on the buyer. With that in mind, if the car is already a 2.4 5-speed and the question is "do I have any reason to keep the junk 1.9 I already replaced?" (which is how I read the first post) then I say "do it if you have the room, but don't stress over it."

I don't particularly like a lot of things about stock Opels. I don't like fireballs out of the junk alternators, I don't like 2-piece seat belts, I don't like crappy manual fuel pumps that like to die in Perry, Oklahoma, twice, I don't like front drum brakes, and I'm still undecided on Solex carbs. If I only drove my car 1000 miles a year, all that stuff would be OK, but I drive the everlasting daylights out of my Opels and I think car shows are usually way too stuffy. I still like the all origional cars, but they're just not me.

After all, if you spent $10K on a nice painting, would you hang it in the garage? If not, then why leave your car there? Art that no one ever sees is just stuff.

·
2,054 Posts
Original Form or Custom

I love seeing cars in their original form. But its also cool to see some of the things people do to their cars to customize them.

Personally, my GT is staying pretty stock looking, but with upgraded (updated) carburation, ignition, sound system, and upholstery. I absolutely love the design & looks.

But looking at posted pics on this forum I see some really good customizing, like that car from Germany with the white interior and very modern high-tech engine.

The nice thing about the Opel is it has very little monetary value, but the "cool" factor is high. And face it, if any of us were in it for the money we would be restoring 300 Gullwing Mercedes or old Jags. So the Opel is a good choice for a little (or a lot) of customizing. Its also a good candidate for the younger guys to cut their teeth on, again, because of the cost. With little investment they can find out what works, and what doesn't work. They can screw it up, and go on to the next project until eventually end up with something really good.

Again, for me, the Opel GT will stay pretty original looking. For now. It reminds me of when my wife (girl-friend back then) were in college and she bought her GT. And I bought the MG Midget. What a time we had. We took her car on trips down the winding Pacific Coast Highway from San Francisco to Los Angeles. (we used her car for road trips because it was the "big car" and could stow a couple of over-night bags)

But I gotta tell ya, some punk pulls up in his rice-rocket with a little tuning, and I would live to have anything over 150 hp in the Opel. Oh, and how about a rotory engine? Wouldn't that be sweet?

Balance - ain't it a bi-ch to figure out?

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
My brother has a 63 Sunbeam Alpine(titled 63, but it is really a 62), but he is having the entire drivetrain removed and refitted with a ford V6 and a 5 speed
to jlthunder why not get your brother to make it a tiger instead:D

he could start the max smart branch of the club:D

Attachments

·
299 Posts
someone once told me that nomatter what all cars are junk
meaning why worry bout whats going to happen to it , its destiny lies in a junk yard or new honda

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sounds fatalistic...

72opelguy said:
someone once told me that nomatter what all cars are junk
meaning why worry bout whats going to happen to it , its destiny lies in a junk yard or new honda
...we're all gonna die too, except me.

I say, do whatever you want, as long as you have the time and resources to complete it. Or quoting a Hot Rod legend, "Build it right the first time and drive the son of a bitch."

It takes a lot of work when you move off of stock (so does stock sometimes). So make sure you really want it and can really get it done. Half done projects are depressing and a waste.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
My GT looks very stock inside and out. It's not. A have a 5 speed in it modified 1.9 motor and suspension. If my five speed blows up, I will go out to the shed and get the 4 speed. If something happens to my motor I will put in the stock motor I have. The same goes for the suspension. I will not part with the spares that I have. They are stock items and are kept because I know how hard parts are to get. I can keep the car going while I make decisions about another 600 dollar tranny or whatever I broke. The concept that all cars will be junk sucks. I've also heard that eventually the sun will burn out. I'm not planning the demise of my GT or buying candles. If you have the space to keep spares, do it. When it rusts down to nothing, keeping them that long probably gave you peace of mind. Or if you are like me, it will give you options down the road. I personally like that idea. When or if my car rusts down to nothing I can rest easy knowing I didn't cause it or allow it to happen in my lifetime. Sorry to ramble on but to even mention all cars are junk fires me right up.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
baz said:
to jlthunder why not get your brother to make it a tiger instead:D

he could start the max smart branch of the club:D
I tried to talk him into this option, but he doesn't want to kill himself with all of that power so he is going for the midrange between the 4 and 8 cyl.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts