Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Vendor
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting my old garage cleaned and organized in anticipation of setting up my new garage/workshop (if it ever gets finished!). I had a bunch of old metal tool boxes-most of which I gave away before I moved. I kept a few, but I particularly treasure these old wooden tool boxes. The first is from my father in law's father in law and is probably ~ 90 years old. I believe he made it as an apprentice project when he was training to be a carpenter. I love the patina-it was later used by my father in law for storing a lot of small hand tools. Still in great shape except for the old leather handle, which rotted off decades ago.
P1050909.JPG P1050912.JPG P1050913.JPG P1050917.JPG
The second box was made by my father in law about 60 years ago. I believe he used the first box as a pattern, but made some interesting changes, including a slide out tray for covering the drawers with a clever locking device. He also used this box ( a machinist by trade) for a variety of small tools and drafting supplies. I've actually moved many of these to my tool chests over the years, as I put them back in service.
P1050923.JPG P1050925.JPG P1050926.JPG P1050929.JPG
The last box is one I made about 20 years ago. Much simpler in design, but a fun project nonetheless. I may try making a more elaborate version once I get my shop together.
P1050919.JPG P1050921.JPG
Three generations of old wooden toolboxes, which all still get used pretty regularly.
Cheers,
Ron in FL

·
Vendor
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will you have room for this in your new garage/workshop?(y);)

Zoinks! When I bought the car I was the third owner in 32 years. Now it appears there will be 4 more owners in 1 year.
If I wait long enough, it will probably come home like a stray cat. :rolleyes:

·
Vendor
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zoinks! When I bought the car I was the third owner in 32 years. Now it appears there will be 4 more owners in 1 year.
If I wait long enough, it will probably come home like a stray cat. :rolleyes:
Also, I just checked the mileage from when I last drove it to the one listed in the auction. A grand total of 63 miles clocked by the last 3 owners. :(
Too bad, since it was such a good driving car. I never hesitated taking it anywhere. If anyone here is interested in potentially buying this car, I can probably answer
your questions better than the current sellers.
Cheers,
Ron in FL

·
Opeler
985 Posts
Also, I just checked the mileage from when I last drove it to the one listed in the auction. A grand total of 63 miles clocked by the last 3 owners. :(
Too bad, since it was such a good driving car. I never hesitated taking it anywhere. If anyone here is interested in potentially buying this car, I can probably answer
your questions better than the current sellers.
Cheers,
Ron in FL
That’s a shame Ron. Go rescue your old girl!

·
Opel Key Master
5,071 Posts
You can still buy those wooden boxes. Gerstner boxes...not cheap for the real deal. I bought a cheap one to hold all my keys cutting equipment in. Had a friend paint an Opel Keys logo on the back by hand. My big Snap-On Epiq box just turned 3 last week

·
Registered
164 Posts
That seems to be a GREAT price. It annoys me when I see cars like this and PJ's. Beautiful cars! Where were they when I was shopping.....
But the way I rip cars apart, I suppose I like modifying them as much as I like driving them. Haha

Ron, those tool boxes are beautiful. Hopefully they will be enjoyed by your family for generations to come.

Mine matches your old car, but hardly an heirloom. Haha

·
Vendor
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can still buy those wooden boxes. Gerstner boxes...not cheap for the real deal. I bought a cheap one to hold all my keys cutting equipment in. Had a friend paint an Opel Keys logo on the back by hand. My big Snap-On Epiq box just turned 3 last week
Cool! I never knew that they were commercially available. One on their site looks really similar to the second box in my post, and I wouldn't be surprised if my father in law borrowed heavily from that design. I am pretty convinced that his was hand-made from looking at the construction, and the lack of any manufacturer's marks. He was a pretty serious woodworker, and actually made some beautiful furniture, so the chest was well within his abilities.

·
Vendor
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gordo,
That's pretty much how I would have imagined your workspace!
When you retire, you should see about taking the chest with you.
I recognize quite a few of those stickers and headlines. When I was a kid, 94-WYSP
was the go to station for prog rock-long before they got the Eagles games and morphed into a sports talk format.

My tool box at work.....

View attachment 427512

·
RunOpel
1,274 Posts
Ron that is such a beautiful Opel GT :) wish you could get it back (y)

·
1,706 Posts
I've been getting my old garage cleaned and organized in anticipation of setting up my new garage/workshop (if it ever gets finished!). I had a bunch of old metal tool boxes-most of which I gave away before I moved. I kept a few, but I particularly treasure these old wooden tool boxes. The first is from my father in law's father in law and is probably ~ 90 years old. I believe he made it as an apprentice project when he was training to be a carpenter. I love the patina-it was later used by my father in law for storing a lot of small hand tools. Still in great shape except for the old leather handle, which rotted off decades ago.
View attachment 427485 View attachment 427486 View attachment 427487 View attachment 427488
The second box was made by my father in law about 60 years ago. I believe he used the first box as a pattern, but made some interesting changes, including a slide out tray for covering the drawers with a clever locking device. He also used this box ( a machinist by trade) for a variety of small tools and drafting supplies. I've actually moved many of these to my tool chests over the years, as I put them back in service.
View attachment 427491 View attachment 427495 View attachment 427493 View attachment 427497
The last box is one I made about 20 years ago. Much simpler in design, but a fun project nonetheless. I may try making a more elaborate version once I get my shop together.
View attachment 427498 View attachment 427499
Three generations of old wooden toolboxes, which all still get used pretty regularly.
Cheers,
Ron in FL
Ron
As someone who retired out of the Carpenters I can tell you, in most cases apprentices were required to build a tool box early on. The box you show would likely have belonged to cabinet maker or trim carpenter. A jobsite carpenters box would have been a long open design that could be carried on the shoulder. In the old days in some locals an apprentice was required to carry both his own box and that of his Journeyman's on and off the job site. I think they still build the jobsite box in some areas but most guys just use a five gallon plastic bucket to carry their tools. Very nice to see how the old work has held up .

·
Vendor
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ron
As someone who retired out of the Carpenters I can tell you, in most cases apprentices were required to build a tool box early on. The box you show would likely have belonged to cabinet maker or trim carpenter. A jobsite carpenters box would have been a long open design that could be carried on the shoulder. In the old days in some locals an apprentice was required to carry both his own box and that of his Journeyman's on and off the job site. I think they still build the jobsite box in some areas but most guys just use a five gallon plastic bucket to carry their tools. Very nice to see how the old work has held up .
John,
Thanks for the insights. As with most family stories, it is often hard to separate the facts from the folklore. (a few episodes of "Antiques Roadshow" will quickly illustrate that point.)
I never knew my FIL's FIL, and don't know much about him other than than his occupation, and the name that goes with the "CWS" stamped above the center clasp. I can definitely vouch for the quality of my FIL's cabinetry and woodworking skills. Although not a professional, he made some really beautiful pieces, which sadly were sold or given away when my MIL sold their house after his death. I'm glad I was able to keep a few of his things in the family. He was a great guy (decorated WWII vet) and I think about him when I use his stuff.

·
Vendor
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ron that is such a beautiful Opel GT :) wish you could get it back (y)
If I bought it back at his asking price, I would essentially be paying ~$3000 for the two dealer tags. :p
As far as I can tell, the car is unchanged from when I sold it. He has more pics on their website, and I'm unable to see any differences.
It probably still has the same gas I put in it before I sold it. It definitely still has the transmission leak, as seen on the undercarriage pics.
BTW, his asking price is not crazy. I'm guessing he got it for ~$10K and is doing a quick flip to make a few Gs.
Cheers,
Ron in FL

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I've put up with a cheap tool box I bought in 1992 when I first started racing SCCA. Finally got tired of not having enough space for my tools and went and bought a decent one. It's still Harbor Freight, but the quality is surprisingly good-- as good as any I looked at-- and with their 20% coupon the price was somewhat of a bargain. I already had the Craftsman top section. Now if I just had a garage big enough for a four post lift...

IMG_20191212_213153267.jpg

Reactions: JudokaJohn

·
Vendor
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've put up with a cheap tool box I bought in 1992 when I first started racing SCCA. Finally got tired of not having enough space for my tools and went and bought a decent one. It's still Harbor Freight, but the quality is surprisingly good-- as good as any I looked at-- and with their 20% coupon the price was somewhat of a bargain. I already had the Craftsman top section. Now if I just had a garage big enough for a four post lift...

View attachment 427525
Glad to hear that you like the HF chests. I have two Craftsman ones, but I have been looking at the HF ones for the new workshop.

·
Super Moderator
13,561 Posts
Late to the party here...

I actually don’t have that many hand tools considering I’ve worked on cars since I was 12 years old. I do have a lot of fabrication tools though. Currently I only have 3 toolboxes in use.

I have my largest box which I got as a high school graduation gift in 1984. Part of a 2700-piece Craftsman tool set. I suspect I primarily use about 50-60 tools over and over again. There are plenty of tools in the box I’ve never used!

I have a smaller upper/ lower box which I had at my old shop I rented.

And I have the Harbor Freight box I got last month for my detailing supplies.

I’ll probably buy another big tool box in a year or two and put most of my tools into it. Put the old larger upper/lower box in my engine assembly room. Then put the smaller upper/lower in my shop basement.

·
Vendor
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also have a couple Craftsman chests from the 90's (back when Sears had stand-alone Craftsman tool stores) where I keep most of my hand tools and small parts and supplies.
They are appropriately decorated, thanks to John and the Mother Road folks. One of the few portable metal boxes that I kept is also a Craftsman, which is built like a vault (very heavy, even when empty)
. P1050932.JPG P1050934.JPG P1050935.JPG P1050937.JPG P1050938.JPG

·
Opeler
516 Posts
I have been cleaning and reorganizing my garage. That includes the toolboxes. I had to buy another box to get a bit more storage. I should have photos soon. FWIW- Craftsman doesn't make as many boxes/cabinets as they used to. I found a 5 drawer chest at Lowe's for $139. It is as close to my other top chest which has 8 drawers. They don't make that anymore. I looked at US General at HF, and I like the quality and price, but they were too deep to set on my rolling cabinet.

·
Über Genius
9,023 Posts
My garage IS my toolbox

Reactions: JudokaJohn
1 - 20 of 42 Posts