Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little dream project that I would like to explore. The chromed Steinmetz single side draft set up I had on my GT was a beautiful work of art and I miss it. I have now wet my feet with entry level Motronic fuel injection and am starting to get a better understanding of FI. The Motronic is nice and reliable, but it's a little primitive due to it's air flow meter(AFM) and limited range of things it's computer can adjust to.

So, there are Weber DCOE look-a-like throttle bodies you can buy, such as this from Borla:

https://www.borlainduction.com/2900-series.html

I guess I would then need an FI operating system and a few other gadgets to get it all going. I don't really care about power and going fast, my car is made for Show and not so much for Go. It also serves as a platform for me to do interesting projects to that keep my mind busy. So I would like to hear people's thoughts and ideas about this, as well as, other ways I could adapt my Steinmetz SSD manifold to work with FI.

·
Opeler
876 Posts
You just got your car running!! You want to change it all now after saying this is the happiest you’ve been with an Opel motor?!?!?

Retirement is gonna be a struggle....

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
You just got your car running!! You want to change it all now after saying this is the happiest you’ve been with an Opel motor?!?!?

Retirement is gonna be a struggle....
Lol

Agreed

Reactions: GTeglman

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have a little dream project that I would like to explore. The chromed Steinmetz single side draft set up I had on my GT was a beautiful work of art and I miss it. I have now wet my feet with entry level Motronic fuel injection and am starting to get a better understanding of FI. The Motronic is nice and reliable, but it's a little primitive due to it's air flow meter(AFM) and limited range of things it's computer can adjust to.

So, there are Weber DCOE look-a-like throttle bodies you can buy, such as this from Borla:

https://www.borlainduction.com/2900-series.html

I guess I would then need an FI operating system and a few other gadgets to get it all going. I don't really care about power and going fast, my car is made for Show and not so much for Go. It also serves as a platform for me to do interesting projects to that keep my mind busy. So I would like to hear people's thoughts and ideas about this, as well as, other ways I could adapt my Steinmetz SSD manifold to work with FI.
Just dive in at the deep end and cobble together a self-adjusting system from the Borla TB and the electronics from a Holley Sniper.
:)

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RallyBob made a post that said I need one injector per cylinder and that I would need to mod the manifold to install an injector at each port. I hadn't given this much thought before I posted. It's not a practical idea. Concept cancelled.

The background goal was to modernize my FI set up for more adjustability and adaptability and efficiency, as well as, make use of my Steinmetz SSD. I could do that to the Motronic system I have much more efficiently and effectively. I'm guessing that I could find a way to add a MAP sensor in place of the AFM and then replace the Motronic operating system with a more modern adjustable and adaptable one much easier, plus maybe some other gizmo swap outs as required, yet still keep the 2.2 manifold.

As said, my car serves me as a platform to do mechanical and esthetic projects to, the driving part is way at the bottom of the list. Yeah, I'm weeks from retirement. My eyes are getting so bad I may not be able to drive in 5 years. I'm just trying to keep my brain and hands busy in the meantime.

·
Opel Key Master
5,016 Posts
Or I can sell you my Weber FI setup. It has computer and harness with these throttle bodies. They are a 45mm

I don’t have the tach adapter, but your modern gauges shouldn’t need it. You could run this off the crank trigger if you wish. I am asking $1000 for this setup

·
Registered
138 Posts
The chromed Steinmetz single side draft...
I've also been thinking about doing an SSD FI conversion. I've seen posts in this forum before re. Jenvey heritage:
What seems nice to me is that I absolutely know these will drop in place of the DCOE I have in the car now without hauling out the big hammer, and with no fussing with the linkage, etc.

What I also found was that a US distributor was:
And I spoke with Fran Olson at Fox for a bit, and he seemed pretty reasonable. So you might want to get in touch with him, and see what you think.

Parts of the solution he suggested were:
Frame/not-tank mounted fuel pump
Microsquirt controller
MAP sensor
Use of current Inductive discharge Ignition and distributor

I'll probably want to see how well things work with the carb, before moving to FI, so it may be a while before I do anything along that line; but I wanted to see what the options were. BTW: I think that solution was going to be a lower cost option than a lot of FI conversions I've seen, but I did not get to the point of getting a final price point.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keith's Weber FI system doesn't seem to be a good option for me, as per this discussion I had with RallyBob. The better option that he seems to suggesting is that I get a Microsquirt controller with an added MAP sensor. This would enable me to keep the big Motronic manifold and timing gear, but be able to get rid of the seriously annoyingly huge primitive AFM and shorten or delete all that cold air intake tubing I'm using and the serious amount of congestion in front of the radiator where I presently have the AFM mounted. The Motronic manifold has the long runners that he says would give the low end power I prefer and a Microsquirt or Holley or some other modern control system would be able to adjust for the larger throttle body that I think the system needs. The large Nissan aftermarket throttle body is too much for the Motronic computer to deal with(Charlie has run all sorts of tests with different stock Opel computers and combinations of Opel 3.0/2.4 hardware and he just can't get things to work right under all conditions). When I had the large Nissan TB on my car it gave ferocious performance at mid to high rpms(in my garage), but transition from idle was horrible. I modern control system could presumably handle it. I could also mod on an Opel 3.0 TB, which is just about the same size as the Nissan one(I have a suspicion that the aftermarket Nissan throttle body is air-leaky crapp).

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've also been thinking about doing an SSD FI conversion. I've seen posts in this forum before re. Jenvey heritage:
What seems nice to me is that I absolutely know these will drop in place of the DCOE I have in the car now without hauling out the big hammer, and with no fussing with the linkage, etc.

What I also found was that a US distributor was:
And I spoke with Fran Olson at Fox for a bit, and he seemed pretty reasonable. So you might want to get in touch with him, and see what you think.

Parts of the solution he suggested were:
Frame/not-tank mounted fuel pump
Microsquirt controller
MAP sensor
Use of current Inductive discharge Ignition and distributor

I'll probably want to see how well things work with the carb, before moving to FI, so it may be a while before I do anything along that line; but I wanted to see what the options were. BTW: I think that solution was going to be a lower cost option than a lot of FI conversions I've seen, but I did not get to the point of getting a final price point.
I LOVED my SSD set up. It was ferocious, started like an FI engine, and looked good. If it wasn't for my engine having been rebuilt poorly I'd still be driving it and I wouldn't even consider FI. I was one step away from throwing in the towel on the FI set up I now have and putting the SSD back on. But I'm on the FI road now and I might as well run with it. I wish you luck with your SSD, it should perform as good as mine did, once you get it tuned. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,458 Posts
Gordon, the EFI (computer) system that Keith has could certainly be made to work with your manifold.

What I meant was, the twin DCOE style induction system would not compliment your engine’s powerband and the way you drive it.

Your long runner/ plenum style intake is better suited for your car’s powerband.

Maybe you buy the entire system from Keith then sell off what you are not using?

·
Opeler
876 Posts
Gordo.....

Have you forgot this post and your response to it from just a few months ago?! I’m starting to wonder if you need to get checked for a concussion or something!

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This whole thread started because of me wanting to find a use for my Steinmetz and a desire to get some future projects started. I really didn't think much beyond that. It's evolution from there wasn't on my radar at all.

I found out pretty quick that repurposing the Steinmetz wasn't a good idea, but I did find out that upgrading my Motronic system was possible.

:)

·
Senior Contributor
4,971 Posts
All you need is a Micro or MegaSquirt, an oxygen sensor and controller (PLX is what I recommend) and then a custom wiring harness that is made using a wiring kit you can get along with the computer from DIYautotune. Everything else you have is usable.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hard to beat ITB's for simplicity, performance and just looking cool.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,618 Posts
Looking at the Weber info on the Redline site, their electronics and programming looks to be a bit 'long in the tooth'. If I read the right software page, the newest operating system listed is Windows XP...Not saying it will not work fine, but it is not the most up to date.

Yes, the AFM is a known restriction and you can't much work around the fixed programming of the Motronic. I have learned my Jetronic pretty well, have adjusted it all I can (without reproducing the schematic and starting to change resistors in the controller!) and it is the limiting factor on my engine/system. So I am moving on too.

BTW, I read you comment on your eyes, Gordo. I hope that is all manageable over the long term and not as bad as it sounds; I'll be pulling for you on that matter.

·
Senior Contributor
4,971 Posts
Looking at the Weber info on the Redline site, their electronics and programming looks to be a bit 'long in the tooth'. If I read the right software page, the newest operating system listed is Windows XP...Not saying it will not work fine, but it is not the most up to date.

Yes, the AFM is a known restriction and you can't much work around the fixed programming of the Motronic. I have learned my Jetronic pretty well, have adjusted it all I can (without reproducing the schematic and starting to change resistors in the controller!) and it is the limiting factor on my engine/system. So I am moving on too.

BTW, I read you comment on your eyes, Gordo. I hope that is all manageable over the long term and not as bad as it sounds; I'll be pulling for you on that matter.
I don't know why you quoted my post. Weber and Redline are not associated with diyautotune.com which is the source for all things MegaSquirt.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts