Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh well, I guess it was just a matter of time before the virus would hit near me. A worker at my Post Office plant was confirmed positive yesterday around noon. Of course they didn't tell us until we were almost through our shift TODAY at around noon. And someone in the nursing home 3 blocks from my house died, plus 3 other folks in town have passed on. Sigh.... 😩

·
Vendor
2,565 Posts
We've had about 35 cases and 4 deaths in the little town I live in.
As a ROF (retired old fart) I can pretty much hunker down at home. We've only made
the occasional trip to the market. It sucks to be "essential" these days.
Stay safe, and stay out of the line of fire, as much as possible. This sh*t-show is far from over.
Cheers,
Ron in FL

·
Detritus Maximus
2,185 Posts
Sorry to hear that Gordon. It seems like it suddenly becomes real when it's someone you know. I think it's going to be 'when' not 'if' for a lot of us as far as catching it.

·
Opeler
2,995 Posts
Been staying away from people as much as possible.

As Ted Danso said on his TV show, (John) Becker.
"I don't mind crowds, it is people that I can't stand."
Hint: In a crowd, nobody knows you.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My daughter, an immigration lawyer, in New York has been quarantined for six of the last seven weeks. After testing positive (the first time) she was sent home from the hospital after almost a week because of the bed shortage. She was quarantined until Good Friday. The following Monday rushed back to the hospital with what the doctors believed to be a second bout. She finally broke the fever last week and was allowed to be reunited with her husband and three babies. Two days ago the fever returned. Two of her babies have displayed the rash and are being watched closely.

·
Über Genius
8,918 Posts
We have someone in my company awaiting results. It's not rampant here though.
If their test comes back positive then all bets are off.

·
Registered
492 Posts
After testing positive (the first time) she was sent home from the hospital after almost a week because of the bed shortage. She was quarantined until Good Friday. The following Monday rushed back to the hospital with what the doctors believed to be a second bout. She finally broke the fever last week and was allowed to be reunited with her husband and three babies. Two days ago the fever returned.
Last I checked, over a month ago, there were already 40+ strains of it. Immunity against all is not a guarantee, not against even a single strain. Look at Herpes for example, you have it for life.

People keep saying we should all get it and "get it over with", but, there's no reason to think it'll be something we get over. Permanent lung scarring for example, even for those that survive. The goal should be suppression, but, too much BS about it being a hoax at the start, or the attitude of "I'll react to it when it happens", now it's all just mitigation.

You union Gordo? Can you stay home?

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My daughter, an immigration lawyer, in New York has been quarantined for six of the last seven weeks. After testing positive (the first time) she was sent home from the hospital after almost a week because of the bed shortage. She was quarantined until Good Friday. The following Monday rushed back to the hospital with what the doctors believed to be a second bout. She finally broke the fever last week and was allowed to be reunited with her husband and three babies. Two days ago the fever returned. Two of her babies have displayed the rash and are being watched closely.

Oh my Paul! What an ordeal for your daughter and you. She must be physically exhausted from her repeated battles. I'm sure we all give our best wishes to you both.

Last I checked, over a month ago, there were already 40+ strains of it. Immunity against all is not a guarantee, not against even a single strain. Look at Herpes for example, you have it for life.

People keep saying we should all get it and "get it over with", but, there's no reason to think it'll be something we get over. Permanent lung scarring for example, even for those that survive. The goal should be suppression, but, too much BS about it being a hoax at the start, or the attitude of "I'll react to it when it happens", now it's all just mitigation.

You union Gordo? Can you stay home?

Yup, all that stuff apparently true, plus so many other things they've discovered.

Right now with lock downs and such we're buying ourselves some time while we frantically scramble to find drug therapies or the faint possibility of a vaccine and get the whole mask usage and social distancing lifestyle
implemented.

·
Opeler
755 Posts
My wife is severely immune compromised, and I am essentially shielding her from the outside world. There's no "catch it and get through it" for her. We are both in our early 60's, and we have multiple friends and relatives, who are thumbing their noses at this virus. They are throwing parties at their homes, playing horseshoes at the beach, and going to, now open, bars. F'n Texas. I don't understand their ignorance, and disbelief of the facts. It's just a matter of time. with this kind of behavior.

·
Vendor
2,565 Posts
Wow Paul,
So sorry to hear about your daughter and her family. The more we learn about this virus, the more insidious it becomes.
Best wishes to her for a complete recovery.
Ron in FL

·
Senior Contributor
1,510 Posts
i TRY not to watch the news too much here in New York... The virus is bad, everywhere ..Some states aren't even postng daily reports, not to scare anyone.
My county has over 8,000 confirm cases.. the nursing home 4 miles from my Home 8 deaths, 20 cases
county 350 FDeaths.. We need more testing, Done on a Fed level.,, nobody gone anywhere HERE and the price of gas here is $1.56.gal Everybody here wearing masks to try stay protected get to grocers store and the essentials Live. It's gonna change the way we live, for sure , It won;'t be too long before it travels to your area too...It would be nice if the Fed's were more transparent
and tell the America's the Truth... Facts... instead of sugar coated news.. and lies 🥵

·
Can Opeler
3,282 Posts
Not much has changed in Oklahoma. Traffic is still pretty crazy, maybe worse than usual in the city. Less on the highways though. I’m thankfully not in any risk group, so I haven’t HAD to be careful. I have chose to be careful though because my sister is having a baby this month and I would like see my family without infecting them. I haven’t visited family since Christmas.
I’m not scared of this virus, but I’m respectful to those who have more reason to be. I’m just thankful I haven’t been laid off from my new engineering job, and I’m also glad I decided to graduate a semester early! My first day of work was February 3rd. I couldn’t have timed things better.

·
1,690 Posts
Oh my Paul! What an ordeal for your daughter and you. She must be physically exhausted from her repeated battles. I'm sure we all give our best wishes to you both.

Yup, all that stuff apparently true, plus so many other things they've discovered.

Right now with lock downs and such we're buying ourselves some time while we frantically scramble to find drug therapies or the faint possibility of a vaccine and get the whole mask usage and social distancing lifestyle
implemented.
My wife works for the State, in a position considered essential and not able to be performed at home. Part of her job involves handling mail. The building she works in has had one confirmed case of the virus. They closed it down for a weekend "deep cleaning" and were back at it the following week. We need the benefits of the job so she takes a chance. The county we live in has had somewhere north of 200 confirmed cases with I think a little better than 20 deaths. About 100 of those cases and around 13 deaths are at a nursing home complex about 5 mi north of our home. We don't go out a lot and use face coverings to do shopping and such. Our Opel Gt and motorcycle have been pretty safe ways to get away from the house for short periods.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's amazing how you pick up your game when something like this hits near you. We were fairly lackadaisical here in southern New Jersey, just about 100 miles from the heavily hit NJ epicenter in northern NJ, and especially here at my PO job. Then we get a positive case. BOOM! Every thing went into overdrive in regards to mask wearing and endless wiping of everything. Then you start thinking.........jeesus gawd......Every letter that has hand wiriting on it or a stamp was touched by someone in New Jersey(mail like that from other States has already been sorted, so we rarely have to directly interact with outta State mail)........that letter might have been coughed or sneezed on by someone infected.......Oh schitt!.........But the mail must go through, so we grab it and sort it. My plant sorts 1.5 MILLION letters a day. Mail and magazine volume is WAYYYY down due to all the businesses being closed, but.......HOLY CRAPP!.......it's like Christmas EVERY DAY for the past 3 MONTHS in the package processing part of my building! There's big containers of packages squirreled away everywhere there's room. The machine that processes them needs 6-8 hours of maintenance downtime every day. It's been running non-stop, 24 hours a day, for 3 months. This is our slow time of year when we start to take our vacations. Ain't happening.

More positive cases reported overnight here at the plant.

Wheeeeeeeeee!

:(

·
Senior Contributor
1,510 Posts
It's amazing how you pick up your game when something like this hits near you. We were fairly lackadaisical here in southern New Jersey, just about 100 miles from the heavily hit NJ epicenter in northern NJ, and especially here at my PO job. Then we get a positive case. BOOM! Every thing went into overdrive in regards to mask wearing and endless wiping of everything. Then you start thinking.........jeesus gawd......Every letter that has hand wiriting on it or a stamp was touched by someone in New Jersey(mail like that from other States has already been sorted, so we rarely have to directly interact with outta State mail)........that letter might have been coughed or sneezed on by someone infected.......Oh schitt!.........But the mail must go through, so we grab it and sort it. My plant sorts 1.5 MILLION letters a day. Mail and magazine volume is WAYYYY down due to all the businesses being closed, but.......HOLY CRAPP!.......it's like Christmas EVERY DAY for the past 3 MONTHS in the package processing part of my building! There's big containers of packages squirreled away everywhere there's room. The machine that processes them needs 6-8 hours of maintenance downtime every day. It's been running non-stop, 24 hours a day, for 3 months. This is our slow time of year when we start to take our vacations. Ain't happening.

More positive cases reported overnight here at the plant.

Wheeeeeeeeee!

:(

Stay Safe And Healthy Gordon, I don't think the virus lasts on the mail too much,,it's just travelling too dam fast..lol It's from your boss breathing over your shoulder, I think it's person to person contact.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
wow Gordon I thought of you when a report came up here in Florida about several postal workers testing pos for it 90 I think. I provide a/c & heating services here so I guess I'm considered an essential worker. How ever this time of year would normally be my ramping up season where I get all my spring annual servicing out of the way before summer hits. out of an abundant s of caution I have temporarily suspended this service until things calm down ( I HOPE).So for now I'm only providing service to those without a/c. We also are under the stay at home order which I accept. But here in Oviedo I'm shocked at how many ignorant people are still frolicking around as if nothing has changed the traffic is an indicator of the amount of people still out and about whom aren't essential workers or out for essentials. Example, the local plant nursery is packed every day, the local box stores and others are busy as heck some folks wearing face protection and some not.WHAT PART OF STAY AT HOME DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND PEOPLE? For me I have alot of elderly customers so I can't only think for my self and my family but them as well. I would imagine if 1 customer is infected I'm sure that schnitt is floating around in there a/c unit which I then would be in very close contact with. OK fine I washed my hands and I was wearing face covering what about the rest of me once I leave there and head to the next customer to service there a/c. If it's this contagious one would think the second I stand in the path of entering or leaving air in there system it has now left my clothing and entered there air stream. I may be over cautious but we don't know enough about this to not be

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
PAUL I hope the best for your daughter and her family, As one mentioned I'm sure there all exhausted ,not just from the affects of this to the body but the emotional toll it's takes maybe just as hard

·
Detritus Maximus
2,185 Posts
It's odd, I guess, the difference in attitude between the comments in this thread and the comments in a similar thread on a Mustang forum I am on.

·
Opeler
1,158 Posts
We are all gonna be exposed to the virus sooner or later. The precautions are just slowing it down. How it affects you and me are yet to be seen. But we will all be exposed to it.

Karl

1 - 20 of 51 Posts