Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
It's odd, I guess, the difference in attitude between the comments in this thread and the comments in a similar thread on a Mustang forum I am on.
All communities are a mixture of people with a mixture of opinions, here too. There's a big difference between this thread and, for example, what happened in this thread: Car Shows and The Virus

Back then I didn't know that something so science-based was political in some places. I didn't know it was being literally mocked at a federal level as a hoax, on broadcast television. And somewhat still is today, with people claiming the hospitals in affected states are lying and misreporting COVID cases so they can claim more funding. Denial, obedience, and cheerleading are a powerful drugs.

Still seeing some of it today, "Look at the numbers, it's not nearly as bad as the predictions said it would be! I was right!", which is kind of like saying "There's a really bad storm between here and there, don't sail that way, most of you will sink!", and after a few ships leave and indeed, encounter the storm, most of the rest are smart enough not to. And then someone says "Look at the numbers, hardly any ships have sunk, I told you there was no storm!" I.E. The reason the numbers are lower than the prediction, is because the prediction changed the ships' behavior and most of them just stayed in the harbor. Ships not sinking in the harbor is not evidence that the storm doesn't exist. Ugh.

·
Registered
822 Posts
It's amazing how you pick up your game when something like this hits near you. We were fairly lackadaisical here in southern New Jersey, just about 100 miles from the heavily hit NJ epicenter in northern NJ, and especially here at my PO job. Then we get a positive case. BOOM! Every thing went into overdrive in regards to mask wearing and endless wiping of everything. Then you start thinking.........jeesus gawd......Every letter that has hand wiriting on it or a stamp was touched by someone in New Jersey(mail like that from other States has already been sorted, so we rarely have to directly interact with outta State mail)........that letter might have been coughed or sneezed on by someone infected.......Oh schitt!.........But the mail must go through, so we grab it and sort it. My plant sorts 1.5 MILLION letters a day. Mail and magazine volume is WAYYYY down due to all the businesses being closed, but.......HOLY CRAPP!.......it's like Christmas EVERY DAY for the past 3 MONTHS in the package processing part of my building! There's big containers of packages squirreled away everywhere there's room. The machine that processes them needs 6-8 hours of maintenance downtime every day. It's been running non-stop, 24 hours a day, for 3 months. This is our slow time of year when we start to take our vacations. Ain't happening.

More positive cases reported overnight here at the plant.

Wheeeeeeeeee!

:(
We'll that might explain my last package. Mailed from Otisville, NY on 4/7, it left the local PO and then was in-transit until it showed up in Jersey City, NJ on 4/26. it then stayed there until 4/30. I finally got the package on 5/1. Your comment about packages would explain what happened. I thought it would be all mangled up having gotten stuck in a machine along the way but it arrived in perfect shape. I think the pony express would have gotten it here quicker.

·
Über Genius
8,918 Posts
I've been having packages delayed a lot also, if they're domestic. I ordered something from California (next state to me) and it literally took over a month to get here.

My Charmin is still "in transit". Gordo, are you squeezing all the Charmin?

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I had an interesting conversation with my neighbor yesterday while we practiced/participated in social distancing. I don't remember what he said that reminded me of a story that came across the news back in I think October or November. I'm not one who takes a whole lot of interest in any kind of conspiracy theories or things of the nature. But I remembered a report about the tariffs that were being presented to china and them stating something to the effect of the U.S. would be getting a surprise Christmas gift if things (went well). Or something to that nature. My first thought when this report was presented was war or an attack on us from China. Interesting I can't find that report anywhere as if I just dreamed it but I know what I heard because it stuck with me. I can't help but wonder if this was the surprise referenced? Is it a coincidence that this started showing up in the time frame that was discussed as the gift? I mean isn't it always some strange strain of some disease that's almost always coming from China whether it's sars or what ever? I kinda get the feeling that this was a targeted infection that went the wrong way or didn't quite go as planned. Sorry I don't believe that this some how came from bats or a cross contaminated china food market. REALLY either they think were all stupid or we must incredibly ignorant. JM2CTS

·
Über Genius
8,918 Posts
I had an interesting conversation with my neighbor yesterday while we practiced/participated in social distancing. I don't remember what he said that reminded me of a story that came across the news back in I think October or November. I'm not one who takes a whole lot of interest in any kind of conspiracy theories or things of the nature. But I remembered a report about the tariffs that were being presented to china and them stating something to the effect of the U.S. would be getting a surprise Christmas gift if things (went well). Or something to that nature. My first thought when this report was presented was war or an attack on us from China. Interesting I can't find that report anywhere as if I just dreamed it but I know what I heard because it stuck with me. I can't help but wonder if this was the surprise referenced? Is it a coincidence that this started showing up in the time frame that was discussed as the gift? I mean isn't it always some strange strain of some disease that's almost always coming from China whether it's sars or what ever? I kinda get the feeling that this was a targeted infection that went the wrong way or didn't quite go as planned. Sorry I don't believe that this some how came from bats or a cross contaminated china food market. REALLY either they think were all stupid or we must incredibly ignorant. JM2CTS
I think it was North Korea that promised the Xmas gift.

Now the Simpsons, on the other hand

·
Vendor
2,565 Posts
Sorry I don't believe that this some how came from bats or a cross contaminated china food market. REALLY either they think were all stupid or we must incredibly ignorant. JM2CTS
Terry,
I'm curious why you don't believe that the coronavirus may have jumped from an animal host. Cross species virus transmission is a pretty well documented and common phenomenon. Occasionally it leads to a virus that is capable of human to human transmission. Covid-19, SARS, Ebola, and the Avian Flu are just a few of the latest examples. I'm not an expert in this field, but from what I've read (from the people that spend their careers studying this stuff) there is virtually no chance that this is an engineered virus, and the original host was almost certainly a bat. Trust the science, my friend.
Ron in FL

·
Registered
677 Posts
There is no conspiration behind it, the main reasons for the wide spread of the disease are a dense population and/or a culture where people are in close contact to each other, be it at home or in public places or transports. We Finns are lucky in that aspect because we live relatively scattered and that close personal body contact when meeting people is not a part of our culture. And the fact that people obey the rules is of course essential.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Cross species virus transmission is a pretty well documented and common phenomenon. Occasionally it leads to a virus that is capable of human to human transmission. Covid-19, SARS, Ebola, and the Avian Flu are just a few of the latest examples
Mother Nature has never been proven to be so cruel without interference

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Trump seemed unfazed by the potential threat, though. "We'll find out what the surprise is and we'll deal with it very successfully,” he said. “Everybody's got surprises for me, but let's see what happens. I handle them as they come along." "China should be thankful for what we've let them to do to our country and now there attacking the world"

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
If you check out the world history of pandemics, going back several thousand years, most have originated in Asia. The area seems to be a hot bed for virus mutation.

Syphilis is very interesting. It's from the Americas and was/is a common disease that generally affected people in their youth with no serious complications other than maybe some skin scarring. When the disease was contracted by ADULT Europeans, however, it manifested in it's more virulent and deadly form that we know today.

A very interesting plague was called the Sweating Sickness. They still have no idea what caused it. It seemed to only affect people from Britain, even if they were stationed in an outpost in France or elsewhere, the locals wouldn't get it. I think it came and went for about 150 years and I think it's last outbreak struck in Denmark, not amongst the Brits. This disease has caught the attention of people during Covid 19 because it has a few similar characteristics. Reports say that some people just dropped dead walking down the street. This is similar to the sudden cardiac arrest amongst young people who have gotten Covid 19. It seemed to be a very quick escalating "virus"(They think it was a virus, they don't know) that could be over and done with in a day in some cases.

I think it highly unlikely that China would make a virus ON PURPOSE that would wipe out the world economy and theirs in particular. I could believe that the research institute that was studying corona virus' in general had an accidental release of a strain under study.

Let us not forget that the common cold is a corona virus and there's no cure for that either. Coronas have been with us for 1000's of years and they pop up with regularity every couple of hundred years. It makes almost no difference at all whether it originated in China on purpose or by accident, what matters is how we deal with it. We're dealing with it poorly in parts of this country and better in others. The thing to keep in mind is that it's ridiculously highly infectious compared to other corona virus' and it's assault on the elderly in nursing homes and the non-white poor living in high population density situations is astounding, that's what's kicking our azz. It's really hard to suppress in the populace without taking extraordinary steps to prevent infection spread.

All the researchers and medical professionals agree that this disease is likely to be with us FOREVER, just like all the other corona virus'. We need to be smart and deal with the lingering effects of this latest threat as a species.

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THIS DISCUSSION POLITICAL.

Please stick to your personal experience dealing with this latest pandemic.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
hehehehehehe where's my blowin smoke or yankin your chain emoji LOL it is what it is and where or how it's origination came about is no doubt a waste of time and energy at this juncture. Hoping and working for a way to remedy this is the only logical response we as a world can come together to concur and destroy this darn thing. And who knows maybe it's something just as this that will bring us all together finally in peace and harmony. Now if we can get governments around the world to pull there pants up and stop comparing there bagonias that would be the greatest feat of all.:LOL:

·
Vendor
2,565 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Thanks Ron, That's a good read, sucks there's so many ?'s and unknowns but as with any new disease things take time. It got me thinking though remember when mad cow disease popped and became an Issue? does anyone recall that spreading to humans? I don't remember so. but interesting if not how some diseases/ virus have the ability to mutate or be a good fit if you will to infect humans. I would think some folks ate some of the diseased cow . but maybe through the cooking process it didn't stand a chance

·
Registered
492 Posts
It got me thinking though remember when mad cow disease popped and became an Issue? does anyone recall that spreading to humans? I don't remember so. but interesting if not how some diseases/ virus have the ability to mutate or be a good fit if you will to infect humans. I would think some folks ate some of the diseased cow . but maybe through the cooking process it didn't stand a chance
You seem to have a knack for spreading misinformation. Instead, you can just read about these things learn more, rather than spread what you don't know, when you're wrong.

Mad Cow Disease is a prion-based disease that absolutely represents itself identically in humans, known as Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Yes people get it. It is not contagious unless you eat brain or neural tissue of an infected animal that has it. It is a chemical your body needs to function, that doesn't do the job that that chemical is supposed to do, and it can take 30 years to manifest itself. It can't be destroyed by heat because prions are basically organic crystals, the chemical bonds are absurdly strong. You can damage the chemical with heat, but it refolds itself back into its disease shape when it cools down, like the Terminator. You're not touching it with cooking temperatures. You can cremate a cow, incinerate the ash, and a spec of the ash will still turn your neural system into mush decades later. It's not alive, it can't be killed, it's a chemical that twisted the wrong way, that makes other chemicals in your body twist the wrong way. There is no known cure, they can only test for it in autopsy, no known treatments. And it's 100% fatal.

If you lived in the part of the world where Mad Cow broke out, even only slightly, you are still banned from donating blood. We're getting to the point where we're expecting it to manifest itself in all the people who ate contaminated beef decades ago.

Surgeons have a few tools, worth millions each, for such cases, and they are disposable because there's no known way to sanitize them outside of liquifying the metal again. That's how serious prion-based diseases like Mad Cow Disease are.

If you want to read more, I wrote a laymen's explanation of it and how it works (to a target of someone with no chemical or biological knowledge) a few weeks ago, that was selected as the top post on Reddit that entire day. The followup post right below it has lots of interesting animations to help you understand just how complex this is:

21 - 40 of 51 Posts