Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have the Fog Hallo Type light conversion from OGTS. What I'm wondering is it a good Idea to convert the lower round lights to fog lights. Are just having the signal lights on the front corners enough? Thanks for your input.

·
Can Opeler
3,217 Posts
Hello. I have the Fog Hallo Type light conversion from OGTS. What I'm wondering is it a good Idea to convert the lower round lights to fog lights. Are just having the signal lights on the front corners enough? Thanks for your input.
I think so! That’s how the GT was meant to be in the first place. In Europe the GT has running lights in the grille and blinkers on the corners:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fog Lights or?

I think so! That’s how the GT was meant to be in the first place. In Europe the GT has running lights in the grille and blinkers on the corners:)
I have also bought those lights. They Look nice in all 3 modes. I intend to use all 3 modes and tie in the corner lights for turn signals.

Your call.
Bill
In snowing Minnesota!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you tie in the side markers for signal lights. And diagrams out there? Bulbs would have to change ect. I'm somewhat electrically challenged sp please be specific.

·
Super Moderator
5,640 Posts
How do you tie in the side markers for signal lights. And diagrams out there? Bulbs would have to change ect. I'm somewhat electrically challenged sp please be specific.
Dale, I have the new OGTS LED fog/driving/DRL/turn lights, and I also converted my corner lamps to dual running/turn lights. You can simply leave the new LED's with the turn function, but I wanted to increase my turn signal visibility, as they are a bit hidden in the front. I just replaced the single function 1156 bulb holder in the curved lamp housing with dual filament 1157 holders, and ran a wire to connect the turn connection to the front turn wire. I think I bought the 1157 holders at Canuck Tire or Auto Value. If I get a chance, I'll dig the lamps out (all in a box as I assemble my GT) and post some photos.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
3,948 Posts
AFAIK, the OGTS "Euro lights" are Hi-Beams (please correct me if I'm wrong!). My body is always shaking violently when in the US, everybody always calls any auxiliary light a "fog" light or a "running" light. A Hi-Beam (aka "Bright Light") is the thing that blinds other traffic. A fog light or running light does not. Get educated before you make a driver of an Escalade mad and have him hunting you - he is stronger than your GT!

Dieter

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
AFAIK, the OGTS "Euro lights" are Hi-Beams (please correct me if I'm wrong!). My body is always shaking violently when in the US, everybody always calls any auxiliary light a "fog" light or a "running" light. A Hi-Beam (aka "Bright Light") is the thing that blinds other traffic. A fog light or running light does not. Get educated before you make a driver of an Escalade mad and have him hunting you - he is stronger than your GT!

Dieter
I always thought bright, far reaching auxiliary lights were called "driving" lights and short throw, low cutoff beams were fog lights. Never heard the term Hi-Beams applied to anything but headlights.

·
Super Moderator
5,640 Posts

Dieter
Consider yourself corrected, Dieter :D. The OGTS LED lamps are called "Fog, Blinker & Running Light", at least by them in their Christmas 2017 Part 1 flyer, which is what prompted me to purchase mine. I haven't actually tested mine yet, so the description of them being "fog" lights are still to be verified. Usually fog lights are yellow for low glare (although my Lexus IS300 "fog" lights are white, although some versions came yellow), and these OGTS LED's are white (when in "fog" mode), so they may be more like driving lights. AKAIK, "high beams" are only those lights that are part of the headlight system that are brighter and higher-aimed than "low beams".

·
Opeler
2,928 Posts
More information:
https://www.opelgt.com/forums/1c-lighting-signal-systems/97833-front-side-turn-signals-anyone-do.html#post1244873

Open 4" dia. turn signal cans (under bumper) to expose 1157 bulb socket wires:
18 GA Black/ White LH turn signal wire.
18 GA Black/ Green RN turn signal wire.

Add piggyback terminals with new wires to existing 1157 turn signal bulb connections and route to each front side marker lights.
Front side marker lights need to be modified to dual terminal 1157 bulb socket or led strip lights. See more information link.

Attachments

·
Opeler
3,606 Posts
Original Euro lights are hi-beam indeed. However, aftermarket LED lights are fog lights. They are very bright and I use them more as a running lights.
Good 1157 LED bulb will make OEM corner lights more visible but I have also connected hallo lights to turn signal for full visibility. Works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dale, I have the new OGTS LED fog/driving/DRL/turn lights, and I also converted my corner lamps to dual running/turn lights. You can simply leave the new LED's with the turn function, but I wanted to increase my turn signal visibility, as they are a bit hidden in the front. I just replaced the single function 1156 bulb holder in the curved lamp housing with dual filament 1157 holders, and ran a wire to connect the turn connection to the front turn wire. I think I bought the 1157 holders at Canuck Tire or Auto Value. If I get a chance, I'll dig the lamps out (all in a box as I assemble my GT) and post some photos.
Thanks Kwilford. That would be a big help.

4,231 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,154 Posts
Fog lights should have a low cut off with wide dispersion of the beam. If they are out of adjustment, which many of them are, they can be really annoying to oncoming traffic because of there wider than normal light pattern. It seems lots of people think you're supposed to run them after dark fog or no fog. They should also be wired to only work when the low beam lights are on.

Harold

·
Super Moderator
5,640 Posts
Thanks Kwilford. That would be a big help.
Here are some photos of an unmodified curved lamp housing with the single filament running light, and the modified lamp housing with the 1157 dual filament bulb holder. I drilled out the rivets that held the single filament bulb holder, and found a pair of 1157 bulb holders that were a similar diameter. They are held in place with small (6-32 IIRC) stainless bolts, washers and nuts, inserted through the rivet holes drilled out appropriately. I am likely going to upgrade to LED bulbs all around for extra brightness.

Lindsay has provided some easy to follow instructions on how to connect the turn light wiring.

The last photo is of the OGTS "Fog, Blinker & Running Light" lights. They have to be modified slightly by grinding the case to fit the OEM housing, and then are simply siliconed into place from behind.

Attachments

4,231 Posts
We had a reflector towards the rear of the lens to make our cars more visible from the side.

Harold
That is why I have both, front and side reflector.Side in the lens and front in the housing!
I have a set of nearly new lenses still as reserve from JLThunder Jeff:veryhappy
I don`t like the cheap european lenses:no::no::no:

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,987 Posts
Only for show the guy in front "Hello here I`am",make free the track!

But if you want to go with the banana lenses as turn signals,don`t forgot the european reflectors at all.
US-GT`s didnt have this part:no:

https://www.splendidparts.de/kaufhaus_2/Opel-GT/Elektrik-und-Beleuchtung/Blinkerreflektoren-Opel-GT--Satz?source=2&refertype=1&referid=68&languageid=2
I see that Splendid sells the same wheels I have on my car:

http://www.splendidparts.de/kaufhaus_2/en/Opel-GT/Suspension-Parts/Front-Axle/8-x-13undquot;-Alu-Wheel-Maxilite?source=2&refertype=1&referid=119

I bought mine from the original Minilite company. A short time after, the company was bought out and now their wheels are called Maxilite. They are supposedly the originator of wheels that have spokes shaped like they are(I call them bullet-shaped). Lots of companies have copied the design.Here'sa pic of a Phillippinno copy:

·
1000 Post Club
4,101 Posts
That is why I have both, front and side reflector.Side in the lens and front in the housing!
I have a set of nearly new lenses still as reserve from JLThunder Jeff:veryhappy
I don`t like the cheap european lenses:no::no::no:
Thanks Norbert!! I'm glad you still have them.

Yes, the US models have a side reflector due to US regulations. The euro lens does not. OGTS sells the repro version that was on the European GT.

This regulation is still in effect. Yellow side reflector in front and red side reflector in the rear and two red reflectors on the back. I know Saab had two different lenses on the front, one US and one "rest of the world".

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2cents, You would be fine doing that only if the turn signal lense/ light is visible to head on traffic. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for someone to pull out in front of you when you are turning left across on coming traffic.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts