Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Opeler
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a newly painted GT going thru the reassembly process. After intalling a dash cap, I must have gotten clear silicone on my pant leg. So, I brushed up against the fender and left a couple of 1" streaks of silicone. I didn't discover it untill the next weekend.
Is there a chemical that will help remove silicone from PPG base coat/clear coat, less than four weeks old. I cant roll it off with my fingers. I tried to reduce its mass by scraping it with my finger nails. Very afraid to try a chemical for removal on my beautiful GT. So, I'm asking the all knowing, "what should I do?"

Thanks

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I'd rub it with some 3M Adhesive remover. It will at least soften it up so it will come off without scratching, and it is pretty mild, won't hurt your paint. It's what gets the glue off after pulling decals and pinstriping, so don't worry, the paint is safe. You'll have to wet it down a few times with it and let it eat the silicone, be patient.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
try "goof off" i've used it before to get tar spots off my GT. it WILL take the wax off your car, but does not hurt the finishes of the car, just have to re-wax afterwards.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Dry Run....

Before you splash or rub anything on your new paint get a bit of flat sheetmetal and paint it - then smear some Silicone on to it just like on the GT ... Then have a few practice goes at getting it off the sample piece first!
That will ensure that a disaster does not happen to your new paint!

·
356 Posts
First- Let it cure

krewzer-
Wait for paint to totally cure... before rubbing on it or applying anything other than water to it. 4-6 weeks @ 60-80 should be safe.

The "dry run" idea is good... maybe use a small test spot behind rear plate or in a jamb as a more convenient palette... already cured.

I've successfully used plain old mineral spirits... and a not-so-fuzzy cotton rag... to soften silicon (and spray adhesive :eek: ) and gently rub/ball/roll from cured paint. HTH

-Dan

·
Registered
616 Posts
greensmurf20 said:
try "goof off" i've used it before to get tar spots off my GT. it WILL take the wax off your car, but does not hurt the finishes of the car, just have to re-wax afterwards.
that stuff is amazing, we sell it at the paint store i work at, it will take just about anything off, except the paint itself. i've actually used it myself to get silicone caulking off of latex paint, not automotive though, it will get the job done no problem.

and actually, funny you should mention it, about half an hour ago i just used it to get the glue from pinstriping off of my friends car, worked like a charm

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
I used some "oops" paint and adhesive remover yesterday to get sticky adhesive stuff off from around the light bucket on my opel, the tape was there becuase of the multiple headlight bucket removal occasions, but it needs paint there now anyways :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.