Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you read my last post maybe you saw that I鈥檝e been playing with the idea of buying a 2.2 and swapping out my old 1.9... I got excellent help and amazing answers from everyone but it seems a little bit out of my money,time, and knowledge budget for now hahaha 馃槵馃槵 So my next question is what are some simple and inexpensive ways to get more power out of the 1.9? Thank you all again for your help! I might end up picking up the 2.2 idea again in the future, but I can鈥檛 see it happening with all the projects/work/ studies I have Going on right now...

Registered
Old racing adage:

Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?

The cheapest way to get the most benefit is simply to make sure the engine is in proper tune. You have some room to play with the distributor. Maybe you can find a cheap fan to mount in front of the air cleaner to force more air down the carburetor's throat, but the benefits of that are suspect. Anything else you do begins to ring the cash register's bell. Loudly.

Registered
A free flowing exhaust including a Sprint or FI exhaust manifold, they are usable with a future upgraded engine. Other than that there is not much you can do that carries over. If your engine runs ok, do the exhaust mods but leave the rest until you have your new engine.

Registered
Try getting your hands on a later 73 - 74 intake manifold... Should be reasonably easy and cheap to find. You can run it as is. Or do some minor port work witch will improve air flow a bit more. Along with an upgraded exhaust and a good solid tune up ( as mentioned above), your 1.9 will be as optimized as possible for minimal $......

Here's my 70 vs my 73 intake manifold

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks you guys are the best!!! In terms of price limit I鈥檇 like to keep it in the $300-500, and start putting away some money for when I find the 2.2 of my dreams ... I鈥檒l do some searching and see if I can find an upgraded exhaust and intake from 73... I like the sounds of the fake turbo idea but it does seem like it probably won鈥檛 have to big of an effect馃槀 Thanks again opelers! And commodaren you鈥檙e located in Europe right? Do you know where I can get a sprint exhaust? Or later intake?

Super Moderator
ISo my next question is what are some simple and inexpensive ways to get more power out of the 1.9?
Simple and inexpensive typically don鈥檛 go hand in hand. If, for example I said a 38 DGAS Weber worked better than a 32/36, I can reach into my stash of parts and grab a 38 DGAS. Not everyone has the parts stash I do!

By the same token, a ported intake manifold is the #1 best performance improvement for a 1.9 engine, but that is assuming you have the tools to do it, and the knowledge to do it.

I鈥檝e been doing head porting since the age of 18, I own a flowbench, I own a TIG welder, I own a custom made jig for welding CIH intakes, own lots of porting tools and carbides, and I literally wrote the book on how to port the 1.9 intake manifolds! So for me, for my own cars....it鈥檚 virtually a free upgrade.

I recognize that if you don鈥檛 have those tools you need to pay someone to do it.

Anyway, years ago I documented a mild performance buildup in a 1.9 engine. I had a US-spec (low compression) 1.9 in my 1973 Ascona that sucked in a nut from the Weber air filter assembly and seized the engine. Since that car was my daily driver I needed it fixed ASAP.

I had a used 1.9 with flat top pistons which I used as a foundation. I also had a 1.9 SH head, which is what was used on the Rekord Sprint engines and the early Opel GT鈥檚. The SH head is identical to the regular 1.9 heads except the chamber volume is slightly smaller.

I brought the cylinder head to my friend鈥檚 auto machine shop, and while I waited he machined the seats for a used set of 2.0 valves I had laying around. He also milled the head .030鈥 (.75 mm) per my request.

I brought the head back to my shop, where I blended the bowls of the ports to match the size of the new valves. I did not enlarge the ports anywhere else. (FYI, years later I flow tested that same head and it improved from 88 cfm stock to 102 cfm on the intake ports.)

I proceeded to assemble the head with stock 2.4 springs and retainers I had laying around, and just used the stock hydraulic cam and lifters from my 1973 engine.

Final compression ratio was now 9.8:1, which was a huge jump from the stock 7.6:1 rating (which is overrated and is in fact 7.13:1).

I then fitted a 1.9 Sprint exhaust manifold and 2鈥 exhaust system with two Simons mufflers I had fabricated for a previous car, fitted a ported 1974 intake manifold I already owned, and fitted a 38 DGAS carburetor I owned. I also installed a Crane XR3000 ignition I had onto a stock distributor.

I started tearing it apart on a Friday, and Sunday I was able to drive the car home. Very simple mods...mostly bolt-ons, no crazy internal work, and a stock cam. It ran on 89 octane fuel, and it was a huge step up from the stock engine. 0-60 MPH times dropped from 12.8 seconds to 8.2 seconds, and top speed went from 99 mph to 122 mph. Mileage with this engine (and Getrag) was 28 mpg average, with the standard engine and 4-speed it was 24 mpg.

I had a G-Tech meter at the time which estimates HP based on weight and acceleration. It said I was making 97 hp. Considering the stock engine was rated at 75 hp, not a bad increase! That is 29% more than the rated stock power, which is known to be VERY optimistic. It was probably more like a 35% increase.

All in all, it was a very basic and simple build I did over a weekend.

Registered
I live in Finland. A sprint manifold is harder to find than a Fuel Injection one, so i recommend that you try to find one. They are identical except the head pipe flanges, the FI manifold has a larger flange. Afaik there are no factory made sport exhausts for the Rekord C so you have to cobble it together yourself. Or have an exhaust shop do it. As I wrote in your other thread, check Blocket and Opel Sportclub regularly. Or ask at a junkyard.
:)

Registered
RB, sorry if I'm nitpicking, but the 19SH is from a Rekord D and has a hydraulic cam, the Sprint engine has the letters 19HL.

Super Moderator
RB, sorry if I'm nitpicking, but the 19SH is from a Rekord D and has a hydraulic cam, the Sprint engine has the letters 19HL.
Yes, I鈥檝e heard of this engine, only available in Sweden in the Rekord C I believe, 97 PS compared to 106 PS for the Sprint engine.

I was referring to the cylinder head casting only, not the complete 鈥楽print鈥 engine.

Combustion chamber of the 鈥楽print鈥 cylinder head, with 2.0 valves.

Registered
Yes I know, but since I have become too old to remember the actual head markings I used the ones on the block in my reply. The 19SH was available everywhere, but only in the Rekord D in two versions, early up to -75 with 97hp DIN and after that with 90hp DIN. Usually an H means high performance, but in the Rekord 19SH it meant hydraulic cam. Another difference is that the 19SH head has four cam bearings while the Sprint head has three.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it鈥檚 doesn鈥檛 seem like that much less money or effort than just starting with a 2.2 block, and sending my head to the shop in a couple paychecks ahhaha... can I just use the internals from the 2.2 head? Maybe I need a sportier cam? Thank you guys for all your help and sorry for being a nuisance, I saw last night in my searches that many questions were already answered...

Opeler
I installed a used, stock 2.2 in my GT (w/ auto transmission) many years ago. It was originally paired with a modified 1.9 intake manifold and my Weber 32/36. The improvement was dramatic compared to the 1.9. When I added the Weber 38, the improvement was almost as dramatic. The car had LOADS of torque and was really fun to drive.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What modfications did you have to make to the stock 1.9? And How much did it end up costing?

Opeler
What modfications did you have to make to the stock 1.9? And How much did it end up costing?
I think you may be asking about modifications to the stock intake manifold...you need to drill new dowel holes in the manifold since the 2.2 is a raised port head to make it like up. I think I may have got new mounting tab extenders or did something to help it mount up to the head with the exhaust manifold bolts. Then there was some porting required of the carb mounting location when I did the 38/38 Weber.

The motor I bought, back in 2008 was from OGTS and it was ~1000 maybe?? I can鈥檛 recall.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So there are some sports exhaust which don鈥檛 seem to cost that much more than the used fi exhaust, but they don鈥檛 have any support system for the intake manifold and carburetor... is that going to harm the engine long term?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So there are some sports exhaust which don鈥檛 seem to cost that much more than the used fi exhaust, but they don鈥檛 have any support system for the intake manifold and carburetor... is that going to harm the engine long term?
Never mind they were out of stock... does anyone the numbering That should be on the sprint/ fi? Does it鈥檚 ID number start with 9? Is this one? Opel Rekord D E Manta B CIH 1.9 2.0 EXHAUST MANIFOLD MANIFOLD EXHAUST MANIFOLD | eBay

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry guys just want to double check that these are the manifolds with better flow,

Registered
Sorry guys just want to double check that these are the manifolds with better flow,

That is not a sprint manifold... Matter of fact, I threw one just like it out to the scrap pile yesterday.

These were used with carbureted intake manifolds.... the sprint header you desire were used on the fuel injected engines.. Sprints do not have the large "chimney" like the one in your add.

Attachments

Reactions: Mr.Rekord

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for your help! Ok I鈥檒l keep searching... those were the only ones I found though, or the only ones with different number than the manifolds I already have ahhaha...

Detritus Maximus
Post #5 in this thread shows the FI manifold for a 1.9-2.0 cih Opel.

Poll: What exhaust manifold does your Opel have?

But don't let anyone sell you an FI manifold with the rotated head pipe flange...2.4 Frontera, I think. Unless you want one.

Reactions: Mr.Rekord
1 - 20 of 41 Posts