Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on removing the radiator. Never done it before.
I've been looking around at service manuals for info/pictures/etc...not finding too much details so far.
I know many of you guys have done this many times already.
So here it goes.

After disconnecting the hoses and fan shroud, is it as simple as unbolting the bottom of it and lifting it up?
If so, how many bolts are holding it at the bottom? :confused:

BTW, I have a stock 1.9.

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
You should have just the one bolt on the bottom to secure it and the two rubber bumpers (one on each side) that it will slide right off of.

Leave the bolt that connects the mounting bracket to the bottom of the radiator. Just undo the one in the middle of the mounting bracket. It should be the only one you can get to easily.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
water pump has a wobble

fan blade wobbles 1/8 in, i think it is the source of an engine rattle.

I guess it is the water pump. car has been running a half notch hot.

I may ask for some help..I need the car to drive tomorr ow to work.

I have a pump ready to go. I hope it is the right one ..I bought it on ebay. It says made in italy..

let me know if there is anything I should know. Iam starting now.My first time on a gt. I did a manta 25 years ago.

I will post a video of the sounds.

Attachments

·
329 Posts
waterpump

Looks like you have the right pump there,I did mine last week and it only took about two hours from start to finish. I couldve done it in half the time but I repainted the fan and took my time cleaning the threads off of the bolts.When refilling the radiator put in about a half gallon of antifreeze at a time to let the system burp air out.I did it this way and didnt have to top it off after running it.Also, clean the belt off real well as mine had antifreeze on it and now sqeals a lot at high rpm. Gotta clean it off soon as it is driving me nuts.Good luck.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
5 hours on and off- 2 questions follow

took me 5 hours, took a few breaks in between. spent some time cleaning and degreasing the engine with water based degreaser, yes..good idea on the fan belt.never get mineral based solvents on the belt or it will swell, I cleaned my with a soap solution.no squeaks..my experience is never use a belt dressing either..belt will swell and it is ruined

getting my fan shroud aligned so it didnt rub the blade .took me the longest.

called around looking for a lower hoses,no luck.but I guess I have to go to OGTS.

that was the problem..bearing was wobbly in the water pump, glad I caught it in the garage.

1-my alternator only seems to have one bolt to tighten it..is that correct? or is there another one I am overlooking?

2-how much tension is correct?I hear if it is too tight ..water pump fails real fast.

It was a great afternoon, I will be driving her to work in the AM.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
opeldean said:
1-my alternator only seems to have one bolt to tighten it..is that correct? or is there another one I am overlooking?

2-how much tension is correct?I hear if it is too tight ..water pump fails real fast.

It was a great afternoon, I will be driving her to work in the AM.
There should be the pivot bolt on the bottom of the alternator and one top bolt to tighten the belt- I like about one inch of slack when I push down on the belt with my finger. Have fun driving to work :cool:

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
You should have just the one bolt on the bottom to secure it and the two rubber bumpers (one on each side) that it will slide right off of.

Leave the bolt that connects the mounting bracket to the bottom of the radiator. Just undo the one in the middle of the mounting bracket. It should be the only one you can get to easily.
Is this the bolt directly below the fan? Bracket goes forward and up and attaches to rad there? Hate to fight with the wrong bolt, it's 4 degrees at the moment and not a good time to "tinker". PS, save my fingers from frost bite, what size nut is it?

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
Thanks, looks like you get it from underneath the car........

·
Registered
278 Posts
Is this the bolt directly below the fan? Bracket goes forward and up and attaches to rad there? Hate to fight with the wrong bolt, it's 4 degrees at the moment and not a good time to "tinker". PS, save my fingers from frost bite, what size nut is it?
You get the bolt that holds the bracket on from below, then push the radiator and bracket toward the engine a bit to be able to get to the nut that holds the radiator in place. 13mm. Just had to go through this myself, but the temperature was more like 40 degrees. Good luck.

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
Got it out. Left the bracket on the rad. Just had to watch the fan blades and get a bit physical. Now, I have to figure out how to hold the crank still to get the pulley bolt off........

·
451 Posts
Best way I know (barring an impact gun) is to remove the starter and wedge a large flat-blade screwdriver between the ring gear and the starter opening

-Nathan Acree
Albuquerque New Mexico

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
Got it out. Left the bracket it on the rad. Just had to watch the fan blades and get a bit physical. Now, I have to figure out how to hold the crank still to get the pulley bolt off........
How about applying the parking brake and leaving it in gear? You can get the bolt out without pully removal, a boxed end wrench and about an 1/8 of an inch turn at a time.

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
Tried that last time (with rad still in). Even tried putting a wrench on the nut and kicking the motor over with the starter. It doesn't want to come off too quick. But, now with the rad out I can get at it easier and hopefully tease it off. Really need an impact wrench.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Jamb

Jam the flywheel teeth, with a screwdriver. You can do this in the "window" behind the exhaust manifold (passenger side), just below the "needle" for the timing pointer. So long as the wrench turns counter clockwise, it won't hurt the needle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts