Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Administrator
10,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I created OpelGT.com back in 1998, it has grown by leaps and bounds – and so has the amount of maintenance and web server resources required to keep things running smoothly. Along with this growth comes increasing costs for running this website. While the site has been self-sustaining for a number of months now our growth is at the point where additional server space and bandwidth is needed.

A major concern of mine has been the long term stability of the community and all the information posted here as I was the only one with the “keys to the kingdom” of OpelGT.com.

For the reasons mentioned above, I have chosen to partner with a company called AutoGuide, which operates hundreds of automotive forums – effective today, they will take over the hosting and maintenance of the website.

Although AutoGuide is taking over the operational aspects of the website and you may see some changes appear as a result, the forums themselves should not be greatly affected. I will still be involved with the website as much as time permits, and the existing moderator staff will still maintain their rights and roles in the forum. At some point in the near future, additional staff will be brought on board to provide extra assistance to the community. The vast majority of the forum’s existing rules and regulations will stay in place – the last thing we want to do is negatively impact your experience on OpelGT.com.

Many thanks to all the members who made the donations that kept the site going for so long and the members’ technical contributions that made OpelGT.com the best information resource for Opel GT’s. I am looking forward to being a more active contributor in the forums as my behind the scenes time diminishes.
Gary

·
Administrator
542 Posts
As you have read above, AutoGuide.com has come to an agreement with Gary and will now be the owners of opelgt.com. We here at AutoGuide.com bring with us staff and resources to make this site grow by leaps and bounds. We provide the resources necessary to run this site and maintain the day to day technical and managerial tasks that are time consuming for one person.

With that I would like you all to know that this is still YOUR community and we are here to work with the community and the existing staff to keep this site a place for you to come and feel at home.

My name is Helena, please feel free to ask questions in this section of the forum and I will do my best to answer any and all of them. As of now I will be the only AutoGuide.com member to join the site, I am here to answer questions help with technical issues and make sure we are doing our job and keeping you all happy. If you have any issues, feel free to discuss below. I hope you all enjoy this new chapter in opelgt.com life.

Thank you all for reading.
Helena

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,428 Posts
One quick question, since I have OpelManta.com and am now forwarding to OpelGT.com do you want to have them take ownership of the domain..? I don't think GoinManta will return so I have no use for it and Dr. Manta hasnt shown interest in getting it from me either.

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
I've made occasional donations to the site. Should those donations continue or is OpelGT.com now self-sufficient (presumably through ad placements, etc.)? Or, will you be going to a subscription model of some kind?

Thanks,

Matt

P.S. I see from your website that you manage SolsticeForum.com which I have been a member of for many years. That site is well run which bodes well for our Opel forum here.

·
Administrator
10,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gary wrote "partner", and Helena wrote "owner". What exactly is the deal here?
I have transferred the domain name and control of the sites contents over to Autoguide. I will be working with them to help keep things going and growing. They will now handle all the upgrades, updates, hosting problems, server problems, spam problems, etc. The site no longer relies on only me to keep it going.

I retired several months ago. When you hit that milestone, you think a lot about the future. Taking these steps will ensure the site will continue on.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Gary,
I just want to thank you for your years of service to the Opel Community with your baby, OpelGT.com. I can't begin to imagine the time you put into it. Without this site I would never have really known how popular the Opel is but especially, I would never have had the opportunity to read about so many diverse and intelligent Opel owners. I hope the site remains as is, really can't see no need for any tweaks. Everyday I check out the site...it's a treat looking for what our members are up to with their cars. And, it seems that everyone here are just plain NICE people.
I wish the new owners much success.
Again, thanks Gary!!!!!
Mike Notigan
1973 Opel GT "Charlotte"

·
tomking
2,458 Posts
I think you have made a wise decision Gary and I hope the new owner continues in the tradition you began.
I too want to say thank you for creating this site and making it become a great site and a great community. I am thankful for this Opel Community and glad to be a part of it. Thank you Gary and Good Opeling.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just as I feared...

While I hate to see Gary tied to the site with a life sentence I need to tell you how disgusted I am with some of the ads that are now on the site. I expressed privately to a member how I feared being inundated with pop up ads on here and not 2 minutes later there was a 'blonde bimbo' asking me to be her friend on Speed date?????

No thanks.

If you want ads for automotive related products, fine, and maybe because the majority of members are male, I will have to choke on these ads.... but I don't have to like it.

Maybe it's time to revive the Yahoo group...
:banghead:

·
UngerDog
1,288 Posts
Kat, That's funny...I haven't been contacted by any 'blonde bimbo', but I've noticed that there was an ad today for me to click on Sexy Arab Girls.

·
tomking
2,458 Posts
As you have read above, AutoGuide.com has come to an agreement with Gary and will now be the owners of opelgt.com. We here at AutoGuide.com bring with us staff and resources to make this site grow by leaps and bounds. We provide the resources necessary to run this site and maintain the day to day technical and managerial tasks that are time consuming for one person.

With that I would like you all to know that this is still YOUR community and we are here to work with the community and the existing staff to keep this site a place for you to come and feel at home.

My name is Helena, please feel free to ask questions in this section of the forum and I will do my best to answer any and all of them. As of now I will be the only AutoGuide.com member to join the site, I am here to answer questions help with technical issues and make sure we are doing our job and keeping you all happy. If you have any issues, feel free to discuss below. I hope you all enjoy this new chapter in opelgt.com life.

Thank you all for reading.
Helena
So Helena, after reading some of the comments, are sexy girls what you are going to be advertising on the site now? This has been a family friendly site, and a civil site. What are you going to allow it to be? Thanks.

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
I'm not seeing these ads. I get one ad at the very top of the page (which I think has always been there but maybe I'm mistaken) and no pop-ups. The ads I've seen at the top of the page have been for banks, insurance companies, video games, and car parts so far in general. So, is it pop-up ads that have the links to the blond bimbos? If you're seeing pop-ups, then you can block those in your browser by telling it that this site is not allowed to display pop-ups.

·
Administrator
542 Posts
I've made occasional donations to the site. Should those donations continue or is OpelGT.com now self-sufficient (presumably through ad placements, etc.)? Or, will you be going to a subscription model of some kind?

Thanks,

Matt

P.S. I see from your website that you manage SolsticeForum.com which I have been a member of for many years. That site is well run which bodes well for our Opel forum here.
:) I am also the main admin on solsticeforum.com, We usually go the subscription route, but we will not be doing this any time soon. When we do, we will not make the decisions blindly but talk to the moderators about it. They represent you, the community, and if they can not make a decisions we put it to a site vote.

Gary wrote "partner", and Helena wrote "owner". What exactly is the deal here?
We Own the site, but Gary is staying on to help, he will still be the admin and have a lot to do with any decisions we will be making about the site.

While I hate to see Gary tied to the site with a life sentence I need to tell you how disgusted I am with some of the ads that are now on the site. I expressed privately to a member how I feared being inundated with pop up ads on here and not 2 minutes later there was a 'blonde bimbo' asking me to be her friend on Speed date?????

No thanks.

If you want ads for automotive related products, fine, and maybe because the majority of members are male, I will have to choke on these ads.... but I don't have to like it.

Maybe it's time to revive the Yahoo group...
:banghead:
We have not changed any ad placements on the site, the ads you see are the ad spaces you had before, the only difference is that our network is bigger so it captures a larger variety of ads. We do not choose what shows up on the ads, in fact you choose what shows up in the ad space. The ads are pulled from your browser history or words you have typed on this site. So if you see ads for dating sites it is because you are on one, visit one, or have talked about on on here recently.

Kat, That's funny...I haven't been contacted by any 'blonde bimbo', but I've noticed that there was an ad today for me to click on Sexy Arab Girls.
If you see pop up ads they are not from us, we do not have pop up ads on our network, you have gotten them from another site. clear your cookies and you should be fine. But if you clear your cookies remember to click "remember me" when signing back in the site.

·
tomking
2,458 Posts
:) I am also the main admin on solsticeforum.com, We usually go the subscription route, but we will not be doing this any time soon. When we do, we will not make the decisions blindly but talk to the moderators about it. They represent you, the community, and if they can not make a decisions we put it to a site vote.

We Own the site, but Gary is staying on to help, he will still be the admin and have a lot to do with any decisions we will be making about the site.

We have not changed any add placements on the site, the ads you see are the ad spaces you had before, the only difference is that our network is bigger so it captures a larger variety of ads. We do not choose what shows up on the ads, in fact you choose what shows up in the ad space. The ads are pulled from your browser history or words you have typed on this site. So if you see ads for dating sites it is because you are on one, visit one, or have talked about on on here recently.

If you see pop up ads they are not from us, we do not have pop up ads on our network, you have gotten them from another site. clear your cookies and you should be fine. But if you clear your cookies remember to click "remember me" when signing back in the site.
Thank you. Sounds good to me.

·
Opelitis afflicted
530 Posts
:)
We have not changed any add placements on the site, the ads you see are the ad spaces you had before, the only difference is that our network is bigger so it captures a larger variety of ads. We do not choose what shows up on the ads, in fact you choose what shows up in the ad space. The ads are pulled from your browser history or words you have typed on this site. So if you see ads for dating sites it is because you are on one, visit one, or have talked about on on here recently.
I am never going to mention the adds that are popping up for me.:biglaugh:

Gary, Thank you for all the work you have put into the site in the past and hopefully long into the future.

·
Non Civilian
2,084 Posts
The ads are pulled from your browser history or words you have typed on this site. So if you see ads for dating sites it is because you are on one, visit one, or have talked about on on here recently.
Wow, we are screwed. Our "Humor" forum is going to haunt us for years now.:D:banghead:

·
Über Genius
8,909 Posts
What is meant by "subscription"?

Does that mean I will have to pay money to have access to this forum that was free since I joined 8 years ago?

P.S. Thanks Gary. This site is what got me back into Opel GTs.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts