Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to the Classic Opel Community and their families!

It has been a year since the fiasco of doing a major site upgrade and migrating to a new forum version which in reality should have remained in a beta state for several additional months. There was a steep learning curve for me with that new format and learning from that mistake, I have been cautious when doing any of their minor updates.

I also realized that many of the core features of the new forum program like Articles, Social Groups, and Blogs are underutilized, several forums are outdated, and the Photo Gallery is very bloated and unorganized. In short, it is time for some tweaking of the site.

I recently retired and will finally have more time available to work on these changes (along with my Opel projects). :yup: I want to give our members some insight into upcoming changes to the site:
  • Opel WIKI - At the suggestion of a member, we will be starting a new Wiki program where a member can start an article on a specific topic and others can edit and contribute to the article or add comments below it.
  • Clubs - A new program will replace the Club Forums and Social Groups. This program will give the chapters their own web page and give a club coordinator control over it's content.
  • Vendors - A program will be added for Opel parts suppliers and vendors where they can list their information and products or services.
I am sure more will be added to that list as we go into our 13th year on the web and continue to be a top resource for information on all classic Opel's.

Besides the seasons greetings, I wanted to thank all of you for your support over the past year. Special thanks also go out to our Moderator staff for their help and support. They do not have an easy job and I would not have been able to do this for so long without their help! :biggthump

·
Super Moderator
5,294 Posts
Let me be the first . . .

. . . to give a HUGE thank you to Gary for making the site what it is today! Through all the little, sometimes HUGE, foibles of the site updates, he persevered and always managed to keep things going and improving. I know I'm not the only one who appreciates what it took and takes to do that in an on-going basis. So, THANK YOU, Gary, from the heart and from us all!

·
Super Moderator
8,156 Posts
. . . to give a HUGE thank you to Gary for making the site what it is today! Through all the little, sometimes HUGE, foibles of the site updates, he persevered and always managed to keep things going and improving. I know I'm not the only one who appreciates what it took and takes to do that in an on-going basis. So, THANK YOU, Gary, from the heart and from us all!
Yeah, what he said.

Harold

·
1,556 Posts
Thanks Gary , This is the best site I am a member of and you have done an outstanding job!:notworthy:arms:

·
Opeler
3,642 Posts
Without this site, Opel group would not be the same.
Gary, thank you and all the best to you and your family.
P.J.

·
Vendor
2,515 Posts
Gary,
Congratulations on your retirement. (Save a few of those social security $$ for me, please! :))
I'd like to add my thanks, as well. This site continues to get better every year. The proposed changes sound exciting. I'm particularly interested in seeing how the "clubs" feature works. I too though that this was a powerful, but underused feature in the current site.
Cheers and Happy Holidays to Gary and the Mods*
Ron in Indy
* early photo from their club days...

·
648 Posts
Can't say it any better than Otto....

and congrats on the retirement too, Gary!

Happy Holidays,
James

·
tomking
2,455 Posts
Thanks a lot Gary; it is absolutely true that this community would not be near what it is without your hard and dedicated work to make this site so good. Thank you Gary and congrats on your retirement. Good Opeling.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Great site Gary you are blessing to the Opel community :yup: You have achieved Opel Greatness and it is well deserved. I like your style! If you start something do it VERY WELL a quality not often found today. For the rest of us, we should exhibit Gary's qualities for it will keep GREAT Opel's on the road for the next 40 years!:yup:

Opel on Gary!

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Seasons Greetings from Down Under!

Hello All,

Have not been as active as I would like in recent times but I do still appreciate the great efforts that have brought us this opel Community and contact with so many Opel Friends!

Oh! Gary - since I retired I have found that there is even less 'free time' to do the stuff that work used to interfer with - life can be very busy without work each day!

Hope to be a more frequent visitor in the next year.

Seasons Greetings Everyone - it has dawned bright and clear Down Under with a beautiful starry night and early morning.

Regards,
GTJIM

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thanks Gary.
Almost there myself. 370 days
and counting. (Glad it's not a leap year.
Merry Christmas my brotha.
Don.

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
Fantastic news Gary - Thanks for all of your efforts from years past, and for creating and maintaining such a professional, helpful website for those of us crazy enough to dabble in this hobby. I wish you many continued years of health and happiness in your retirement - congratulations, as I'm sure it's well-deserved!
:beerchug:

·
101st Airborne 1/327 Inf
1,315 Posts
Thank You

Gary,
Congratulations on your retirement, and a simple thank you is just not enough. The Opel Manta was the first car I owned, followed by a 1973 GT, and a string of Volvo's, and a retirement gift of my current GT from my daughter. This site gave me the support group, and the information I needed to come full circle with the car I love the most. Once again, thank you for your vision, and your tireless commitments to keeping us linked as a classic Opel community.
:yup::yup:

·
Registered
895 Posts
THANK YOU GARY for this site...and all the support that it brings to the table. I do believe strongly that opelgt.com will be a BIG "wiki" topic and that your name may come up. The upgrades sound great and I continue to research and learn on this site, and hope that I contribute any chance I feel comfortable with a topic, but it generally is a reference to something that I learned here to begin with!

·
Senior Contributor
4,961 Posts
There is no question that my car would not exist without this site so thanks to you Gary for making it exist and thanks to all the contributors that keep it fresh and informative.
As for retirement.............maybe when I'm 70, if I'm lucky so enjoy yours Gary....

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
Thanks Gary for all the hard work and keeping this community alive on the WWW!

Matt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts