Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WE HAVE IGNITION!!

The engine has the most unbelievable sounding growl I've ever heard! I'll have to record it somehow. I only let it run for about 30 secs during a few test fires and shut it down for a quick inspection. It was getting late and I need more light for viewing. I can't get over how it sounds. It's not too loud with the exhaust setup I have (single Magnaflow with no resonator). It seems to be able to rev effortlessly. And the growl from the 45's are amazing. I still have the stacks on them but will eventually go to a full filter setup.

Let me rewind to the beginning of the afternoon: Since I was having an issue with my ignition saving relay I went ahead and removed it. After the wires were back to the original setup I tried to turn it over. Nothing. Then smoke. Damn, I totally forgot about the resistor wire to the coil. Disconnected everything and ran a regular wire to the coil (In this case the positive side of the Compufire Ignition) Ok, so it was getting 12v now. Still no starter. I looked up the stock wiring diagram and found the error. I had the pos/neg side of the starter backwards. Dumbass! Sure enough, she turned over. Since that worked I wired the relay back up. She still turned over! Great! Let's move on... She'd crank just fine but I couldn't get any gas. I knew I wasn't, because I could see the glass filter that was positioned just before the fuel pump was still empty. I decided to pull the filter out and see if I could get gas from the tank. Yep, it was bubbling out but no passing thru the filter. I tried starting (I had the 12v lead to the CompuFire module disconnected because I didn't want to damage it from constant 12v) in hopes of drawing fuel through. It wasn't working. Maybe if I primed the carbs a little. I pulled the jet inspection covers off and dropped a little gas in. Tried starting...it burped!! In fact, it sounded as if it was going to fire!! The excitement began to build! At this point I knew all I needed was gas flow to the carbs. I kept cranking and priming the carb until I saw a little fuel shoot out a section of the fuel line. It was loose. My neighbor, Rob also pointed out another loose connection on the line. Tightened everything up and tried again...

She awoke!

It wanted to rev so fast I had to shut it off and adjust the idle. It turned out my throttle cable was tensioned too high. After a few more little adjustments and shutdowns I called it good for the night. It was getting dark and I wanted to see around the motor better. I did find one of the carb mounting screws nearly all the way off. I must have missed that one.

I look forward to tomorrow.....

...but first, a cold shower. Really cold shower.... :)

Attachments

· Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
Congrats Kyle! Wait'll you get to drive her for the first time...

· Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I found this earlier from Bob:

"I have run-in new engines for 20 minutes at 2500-3000 rpms to break in a cam/lifters. Following that, I change the oil, and check timing, mess with carburetion, and run it for another 20 minutes to 1/2 hour. By this time, all the typical exhaust smoke from the rings seating is gone, and the engine is ready for full-power dyno runs. Have done this exact procedure on 5 Opel engines, and effectively the rings were seated by the time the cam was broken in. Drive it!"

I also hear "ticking" from the valve cover, I presume these are the lifters/rockers?? (I have solid lifters w/ the roller rockers)

· Banned
3,910 Posts
Sounds like fun, there ain't nothing to compare to that sound of twins is there? Ok twins on full song is a good tune too. Congratulations, looks good.

· Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Rocker

I did the cam break in and during the 20 mins or so I had it running the ticking never went away.

I found the source of the ticking. The roller rocker on the #4 intake had lost it's roller on the lifter side. There was a little cosmetic damage to the rocker arm as it slapped on the lifter cap w/ no roller but that was it. The roller was sitting on top of the head next to the lifter between the two access holes to the head bolts. The pin was on the other side resting next to the spring. I was lucky they didn't fall down inside the head, that would've really sucked.

It should be repairable if I can get another pin and have it pressed back in. I think I can safely file the maring down on the rocker where it was slamming onto the lifter cap. But I wouldn't mind just buying another single rocker if it was possible and have the current one as a repaired spare.

My other issue is an oil leak that appears to come from the rear, passenger side corner of the head. I havn't done it yet, but I will check torque on the bolts. Hopefully I can avoid pulling the head. Man, what a PITA! *sigh*

:) On a positive note, everything else seems to be working ok. The electric fan from TGSI kicked on when needed and kept the motor pretty cool during the break-in. And my oil pressure is about 3 to 4 bars at 2500 rpm. And about 2 1/2 to 3 at around 1000 rpm or so. Looked really good.

~k

· Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
WOW that looks SWEET. Yeah, ya gotta record it and get it on here.

Nice dual side drafts. How fun was that to hook up the linkage?

· Registered
2,731 Posts
Your engine looks awesome. From the picture. I'm not seeing any crankcase ventilation system, though...
How does the pin come out of the rocker roller? This is not good, better check them all. I haven't personally seen these rockers, don't know how the pin is retained, but one of them certainly wasn't, you must get to the bottom of this!!
I can't imagine how the head gasket could leak oil at the rear, it can't hurt to recheck head bolt torque, there was a thread about this recently. The oil leak would be from the valve cover or rear cam cover.
Keep it up! You're gonna be roaring down the street before you know it!

· Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
yea, I was just talking to a buddy about the oil leak just now. Come to think of it, there's no way the head gasket could be leaking oil right there. I have the valve cover sandwiched with a 1/8" metal spacer between 2 valve cover gaskets. (to clear the roller rockers) I think thats the problem...gotta be. It's just hard to see back there. I don't think it's the cam cover, but I could feel around again. I feel foolish for even thinking oil could come from the head right there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.