Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today I was changing the two hoses that go to the valve cover, and both of them broke inside the valve coer. so i had to take the valve cover off and get them out... well i put it back on and hooked up the hoses. while putting the valve cover back on i hit the two far back rockers arms. dont know if this is the problem or not? but then i adjusted the choke.. and started it up.. started up put it was really shaky. and when you'd rev it it would wouldnt get to high rpms very fast.. so then i messed with the sir screw on the carb(the on on the passenger side, that has spring behind it) well then i took it out for a little ride.. it would sputter and make a pop noise but not as loud as a back fire. and if you let it just idle the exhaust would sound like it was at a higher rpm but it was at 1,000.. and then after i got back on a 4 mile trip it was idling at around 2,500 rpms.. help!!! this is driving me insane!! thanks for any input...

·
1,973 Posts
If you nudged the rocker with the valve cover that is fine, it seems like you could be trying to adjust with a vacuum leak or it could just be a carburator adjustment. Also as an MG fellow once said "90% of all carburator problems are electrical" but they also had lucas.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Step by Step!

Billy, You are going to have to take that rocker cover off again to check that nothing under there has been knocked out of place when you "hit" something getting it back on - just running the motor with a rocker pushed aside won't be much good! That may not have happened - but you have to be sure!
Also check to see that the vacuum hose tothe disributor ws not knocked off or pinched between the rocker cover and the head - or any of the electrical wires nearby.

HTH

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just got done taking the valve cover back off and tighten the rocker arms bolts just a bit. but they seem fine and in place. the hoses are clamped.. maybe it is that darn carb .... again.... i'm gonna go see if i can find out whats going on.. by the way, any one got a used weber for sale? :D

·
1,973 Posts
The rocker arms are set to a specific gap between it and the lifter, there isn't any room really to tighten them down with out putting them way out of adjustment.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
crap.. so i just made the problem worse by doing that? i got it all put pack together and it is running the same... and when i rev it up it kinda"stumbles" when you hit the gas. then when i was reving the engine after the second time of putting the valve cover back on, it shot white/clear smoke/mist up out from somewhere around the carb... and what will happen if the rockers are out adjustment.. and how to get them back in adjustment?

·
1,973 Posts
Hopefully you didn't tighten them down too much because that would cause the piston to hit either the intake or the exhaust valve and that is looking at a rebuild there, but hopefully that didn't happen. Depending if you have solid or hydraulic lifters it would have a different procedure but you can find the procedure in a manual or do a search for it on the forums.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
being that it is a 1.9 it would be hydraulic lifters, correct?
in the chiltons book i have it says:
should i do this???

1.remove the distributor cap so that the rotor can be observed. trace the position of the rort through the ignition cables to determine which cylinder is firing with the rotor in this position; that cylinder is at TDC( top dead center).

2. Back off the adjusting nut of those two valves until clearance exists between the valve stem, rocker arm, and lifter.

3. begin tighting the adjusting nut slowly until there is no clearance in the valve train parts; then tighten the nut one full turn past that point. this will put the adjustment in the center of the lifters' travel and no further adjustment will be necessary.

·
1,973 Posts
Early 1.9's came with solid lifters and later switched to hydraulic becuase they are quieter.

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,546 Posts
sounds like he just threw the choke and carb adjst. out of whack to me, the white smoke would be gas flooding out the engine. Mine used to and somtimes decides to do it once in a while(float sticks). My suggestion would be to stop tinkering with the valves and try to get the other adjstments back to where they where.OR if you have already started tightening the valves,get them up to specs first and start all over with choke and carb.These Opels are finicky little beasts,and any messing around will put you back at square one.
Ive never had to adjust valves because of the cover hitting them. And really why would that knock them out of adjustment??? Pull the plugs and see if you are burning rich, the plugs are the key to how your engine is running. I'd be willing to bet its getting way too much gas cuz the choke is stuck!
JMTCW

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
if the rockers are not adjusted right, which they probably are not if you tightened them down, you must set the valves right again before playing with the carburettor (sp?) or igntion ect. the valves must be right because it will affect how the car runs, and may never run right if valves are too tight.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my gt is a 71 so would it have solid or hydraulic lifters? and which cylinder is number one? start from front of engine, or engine thats near tranny? i'll do what it says in the chiltons if it is hydaulic.. and see what the results are...

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Willy, if you got the Chilton's, check it out, it will tell you where #1 cylinder is and also if you have hydraulic or solid lifters. If the engine is the same year as the car. HTH.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
The Euros tend to number the cylinders from the rear as #1 - that is why we have heaps of fun timing the cam on the rear cylinder - which Chilton's and the rest of us call #4! The ignitionn is timed off the front cylinder - known to us as #1.
Telling the difference between solid and hydraulic lifters can be done visually - when you know what to look for! Hydraulic lifters have a crimped, sheetmetal retainer holding the top part in (the bit the rocker sliding button fits into) - solid lifters do not have that bit at all.
An Opel hydraulic lifter is pictured on the right - the other one is a roller rocker lifter with a flat top. The pressed sheetmetal bit is the black shinny ring near the top of the Opel lifter.

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks guys.. i got her running good again.. thanks for all the help!!! ready for the road...

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Well what was it? Carb, Valves(rockers), vacuum lines or some other Gremlin?

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it was the rockers.. they sure can make your car run and drive like crap... and it was also that solex because the choke plate was so so loose...

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
back firing!!!

my car is running like crap again.. when you drive it it is really really slow.. you have to put it to the floor to go anywhere, and when you do the carb "pops".. and if you rev it up when it is parked it wont pop as mush but if it does, it will shoot out this white mist in the primary barrel. i take it that it is unburned gas.. i checked the plugs and every thing looks well... during the winter when there was a nice day(i would take it out) it was running like this but with out all the poping... and wasnt as bad.. and it went away for a while when i messed with the carb a bit(choke/air screw) and it fixed it.. then i thought i had it fixed for a day.. until now..

P.S. when its been ran for a while it will idle really high around 2,500 and 3,000 rpms..

plugs were new last summer with less than 300 miles on them.. as for wires, points, cap, rotor

·
1,973 Posts
Save yourself the trouble and get a weber, check ebay. You can get a weber for about the cost of a full tank of gas.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts