Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a search on the site, but I haven't found an answer to my problem. I have a pretty acrid smell coming from the vents in the dash of my GT. The smell is not noticable with the windows down. With the windows up, you get the smell with the fan on or off. It seems to me that I once saw a product on a car show on TV, that is sprayed and inducted into the fresh air intake on the cowl that will disinfect / deodorize the system. I can't remember what it was or where to get it. A Google search didn't find anything of value. Does anyone have a clue as to what the product is? Or perhaps a method they have used to solve this problem? I am sure that since we are dealing with ~ 40 year old cars that this is a common problem.

·
Super Moderator
3,133 Posts
I'm not trying to be funny, but have you checked to see if something died in there, like a mouse? Has the car sat for an extended period of time?

·
Super Moderator
8,170 Posts
...have you checked to see if something died in there, like a mouse? Has the car sat for an extended period of time?
Most blower housings that I remove from GT's that haven't been 'used' in awhile are filled with 'stuff' that mice think are essential for their nest building. They also serve as great 'rest rooms'. :D

Harold

·
1000 Post Club
4,110 Posts
Most blower housings that I remove from GT's that haven't been 'used' in awhile are filled with 'stuff' that mice think are essential for their nest building. They also serve as great 'rest rooms'. :D

Harold
Ditto that. I pulled my blower housing out and it was full of mouse bedding and droppings. UGH!

·
Super Moderator
9,694 Posts
How tough is it to pull the blower housing out to check? Does it require pulling the dash out?
Unfortunately, yes, in a GT, getting the blower motor out requires pulling the dash out.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
You never know what you'll find. Here's a picture of mine. And, yes, those are mouse skeletons in the front left along with the furry dead mouse on the right.

Surprise In Heater Box.jpg

·
1,089 Posts
Charming picture, thanks for ruining my lunch, but ditto on the dead things. In tearing down a sportwagon that once sat in a sheep pen, I hit the vacuum and try not to look.

I suppose the critters have to live somewhere and they like to surprise you with their archaeology from odd corners...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts