Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Opeler
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 71' GT from the shop on Friday...I had the whole suspension re-done, and also now have some 17" Enkei rims and low profile tires.

So I am with the manager of the shop as we are out test driving the car, when at a red light a 350 Camaro pulls up. The guy is in a T top with his girlfriend...all revvving up his engine and crap. So off we go, he squeals his tires and gets about half a car length ahead when the manager says "drop it"... so I slam my car into 3rd and basically put at least 4 car lengths between me and him. At the next light the guys pulls up in his now humbled Camaro and flips us the Bird. I guess he did not impress his girlfriend.

For those who what to know....

2.3 Litre turbocharged engine from a Ford SVO. Just imagine what will happen when I actually put in the new front mounted intercooler...boosting it up 20+ more horsepower.

Sheesh...Camaros....posers.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
nice kill!!! just becareful not to get anyone else hurt! i still havent raced anything in my gt.. i prolly never will, its my baby.. but my nissan one the other hand.. i had a nice kill over a 1999-2000 riced up cavalier.. note: wide open road where no one could get hurt but the two racing..

and do you have pictures of your setup with the 2.3? and how much did all of that run you? and one last thing, do you want to come do it to my gt? :D

now i can rag on my camaro buddy's...

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
OK, I have to know...were did you eat up the Camaro?? Stone Mountan Rd? or Peachtree Ind?? or one of the other Peachtrees?

I would have loved to see the guys face when you past him?

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
i dont love the fact its a ford, but i love the fact that its fast.. i'm a GM lover, but i can't get over it beating a 350 camaro!!! awesome!!!! i just need to know who's car beat that one mustang, and what he had in it...

·
Opeler
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually cannot remember the name of the road for sure, but I think it was Hugh Howell off of Mountain Industrial. It is the road that runs in front of the MVP/Atlanta Corvette place where I am getting the work done.

Also, on the way home from the shop, I had 3 different people pull up to me giving me all these smiles...including one lady who came up behind me beeping and sticking her hand out of the window with thumbs up. I cannot tell you how pleased I am that I joined the Opel Club. People love these cars man...especially older folks who know the history.

·
478 Posts

That is great to hear you smoked a camaro_On friday I get my 2.3 turbo I was wondering if those engines have good power.

·
792 Posts
I would love to hear some pics of your install

·
199 Posts
lets see what cars dont like the 2.0...280z......integra GSR.......modded civic 1.6 vtec (cold air,headers,exhaust)........eclipse.... the list will grow. Im keeping my eye on a 350 el camino that lives close and a 1973 superchared mini 1275cc

·
131 Posts
Betta Carotene said:
lets see what cars dont like the 2.0...280z......integra GSR.......modded civic 1.6 vtec (cold air,headers,exhaust)........eclipse.... the list will grow. Im keeping my eye on a 350 el camino that lives close and a 1973 superchared mini 1275cc
Beta - any leads for me on a Sprint header/exhaust manifold? Did you have it made custom? Do you have drawings?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
275 Posts
Paulie!! You got it back! Congrats and show some photos - been looking forward to hearing about the results for a while now.
The Camaro asked for it. If you can't take it, don't rev it. Don't you just hate a sore loser? :p

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Terrible!

You street racers are terrible! :eek:

GTs' are for looking good in and posing!!!

Oh! And cruising past other lesser cars on the autobahn - at 125 MPH plus :D

·
199 Posts
Gt is a all around good looking car....looks good parked....looks good driving fast...looks good crusing.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I havn't had any takers yet. Many of the young "import tuner" guys pull up and say "sweet car" a lot and gush over it. I'm really suprised they havn't even tried to "make" me race them by teasing the revvs up. Although it sounds intimidating. I think they test me at one light and hear the motor pull past 4000rpm. (it has the sweetest, hollow growl) At the next light the gushing follows.

I'm still waiting tho'... :D

·
199 Posts
what is the horsepower of the 2.3L turbo?

·
648 Posts
Speaking of 2.3 Turbo...anyone else see the Opel Gt w/2.3 Turbo in Grassroots Motorsports' $2005 Challenge? (Aug issue, came today) It ran a 13.032 quarter. Owned by Jon Hass of Knoxville.

Jon, are you here???

Jc

·
199 Posts
seems it would be making around 200-205 hp According to stats on the motor

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Paulie;
My boss stopped me at lunch to tell me about this GT he saw just up the road from work and asked if I had ever seen it. I started to laugh and he wanted to know what was so funny. I told him I know the car and you. I also told him what's under the hood and I also showed him this thread. His mouth dropped open whn he read it. LOL :D :D
Gene

·
Opeler
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh yeah...I brought the car back in last Sat to get a new front mounted intercooler from HKS, and also re-work the airbox with a air filer from K&N. I think that together it will likely boost the engine 25 HP. I will be taking it up to Road Atlanta to see what kind of numbers I can run.

Right now there are 17" Enkei rims with Kumho's on them. I will eventually have the car lowered about 2" to make sure that the wheels/tires really fit into the wells. But I think that with the way everything is going, that it will likely be in the paint shop in September along with the front air dam and side stuff.

THEN I will be bangin'...with the power and the prettiness...I cannot wait to drive that thing up to every Corvette dealer I can find....just to see what they say.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts