Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my GT has began to smoke!!!!!. it smokes fairly bad but theres worse cars around i guess. if i disconnect the tube from the valve cover to the air cleaner assembly it goes away and the end of the tube is all oily. any clues as to why this is happening? any input is always great.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
ah ha! that tube coming out of your valve cover is part of the PCV system and the pressure that builds up in the engine from moving parts is released into 2 tubes, one goes to the brake booster and one line goes to the air filter housing to reburn the fumes and if there gets to be oil in that tube (most likely from the oil level being too high) it will directly suck oil into the engine via carburator. another reason why oil is getting into the line is if the filter in the valve cover is missing or clogged.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
jordan said:
ah ha! that tube coming out of your valve cover is part of the PCV system and the pressure that builds up in the engine from moving parts is released into 2 tubes, one goes to the brake booster and one line goes to the air filter housing to reburn the fumes and if there gets to be oil in that tube (most likely from the oil level being too high) it will directly suck oil into the engine via carburator. another reason why oil is getting into the line is if the filter in the valve cover is missing or clogged.
I agree that one line -the big one goes to the carb but my smaller of the two lines goes to the vacumn line on the manifold. I don't know why your line should go to the brake booster as I don't think it creates enough vacumn to activate it. But I might be wrong and it's just mine set up this way

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
yes i phrased that wrong it goes to the intake manifold and there is a line going from the intake manifold to the brake booster. (i missed a part in the cycle:D )

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well when i pulled the valve cover before i put the motor in my car last month it did have all the baffles and filters but whether they're plugged up or not i do not know. anyway to tell without removing the valve cover?...... oil level is just about where it should be(slightly overfull) but i dont think enought to do anything but who knows this car is the touchiest thing i've ever worked on so maybe it is

·
315 Posts
Jared,

You may have a lot of "blow by" and that is blowing oil into the lint... and then into the intake. When you pull the hose off at the valve cover, with the engine running, is there a lot of air being "pumped" out of the valve cover.

If "blow by" is suspected, do a compression check. Bad compression will also be an indication.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i do have weak compression since the motor overheated a few weeks ago but it didnt start this until last weekend. i'll check in a while if it blows alot of air out of the valve cover. i assume blow by is oil getting past the rings and or compresson also gettin through the valve? oil passin the rings and in the cylanders would smoke and compression getting past the valves would cause the tube to blow alot of air right? but still if you disconnect my tube it stops smoking so that means compression is just gettin through the valves and no oil is coming up through the rings.....correct?

·
315 Posts
You are essentially correct. When you say smoking, I understand you to mean that it is comming out the exhaust. So, blow by is really comperssion and or combustion blowing past the piston rings. When this pressure blows into the crank-case, the pressure has to go somewhere. So in this case, out the valve cover breather tube.

Some pressure will always get vented out the breather tube... that's why it is there. However excessive pressure will carry with it some oil (from under the valve cover) on it's way out. Then the oil gets sucked into the intake and gets burned and comes out the exhaust as black smoke. So, when you disconnect the hose, no more oil is getting sucked into the intake.

There could some other causes, but this is the fastest and easiest one to check. Once you've checked the breather (valve cover) hole with the hose disconnected (engine running) we can go from there.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its late fella here tis 11:30 and i have to get up for a place called H*LL AKA school. so i'll check again tomarrow. so far all i have done is disconnected the hose and it stopped smoking so i left it alone and i figured i would worry about that when i got the clucth kit in and had the car driving well before i would worry about smoke. i find it weird that it just seemed to start for no reason. it has overheated before but it didnt smoke until 2 weeks later. kinda got warm again tonight because the lower hose blew but it didnt get to the red so i think i'm ok. it is a little overfull but it has been since spring break. i'm about a 1/4 quart over full i dont think thats enought to make it do that but would it be?

·
96 Posts
I know that on my jeep it gets blow by because the pcv valve (rubber gromet, hose)gets pluged up causing pressure. Try checking for a cloged hose, or the orifice where it comes out of the v. cover, and check the screen in side.
just a thought.
Good luck,
Webster :)

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well theres only 4 vaccums left on the whole car. 2 to the distributor and one fron the valve cover to the intake and one to the air cleaner assembly from the valve cover that and they're all new. the rest of the vaccums are plugged off. a motor thats been sitting for who knows how long i'll check the intake orfice and i have to adjust my valves today because ones getting a little noisy so i'll check the baffle and screen in the valve cover while i'm at it.

·
299 Posts
hey i never had a hose from going from valve cover to the intake and further more i dont understand why you would
second the larger hose has always just went down behind the manifold pointing to the ground

and to address the problems with greensmurfs gt you have made your self a lot of trouble
if your engine has overheated bad enough your piston rings have lost tension which would cause blow by or compression loss passt the pistons and which will cause oil to blow out the valve cover you also might be lucky enough to have warf the head or ruined the head gasket to th e piont where that will be in need off a change
i am not there to view it so i dont know how bad it is but it sounds like you will be needing to save your money for an engine overhaul not to mention solving the overheating prob

·
96 Posts
Well 72opelguy you factory opel motor has a pcv system set up. There are 2 holes on the side of the OEM valve cover(1 large,1 small). The large one (I think you have pointing down) has a shaped hose and goes to the air cleaner cover. The small one goes to the intake manifold below the carb on outboard side for 70 and up, and inboard side pre 70. This is your pcv system(helps reduce pressure in engine by drawing out vapor. Good for rings, and environment). If you would like to see the set up; go to members photos look up webster(that's me) and (I think) it's the 3rd pic.

Webster:)

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
just thinking here, what is the compression of all of your cylinders, is there a big difference in any of them?

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i just did another compression test last night and all cylanders have come up 10 LBS. hopefully they keep doin that. they were all between 60-65. now they're 70-75. so they're pretty close to answer jordans question. what is 72opelguy talking about? something about the larger hose running behind the manifold pointing at the ground. are you talking saying that your car is like that or are you talking about my car because i did that to temporaraly fix my smoking problem? also i know the head gasket/head must be find because the car does not get compression into the cooling system(via compression through water jackets) car does not smoke so antifreeze must not be getting into my cylanders. oil looks just as good as the day i put it in there no white foamy stuff. so i think i got lucky. all i know though is i'm just about ready to shoot this car. its on the second motor second clutch 3rd transmission ect. last night the radiator started to seep and its a recored radiator and the PO claimed it was done no more than 2 years ago. this pos keeps giveing me any more problems i have a perfect donor motor(chevy 151 factory HO motor out of a vega GT) i like the car but i'm loosing patience so in response to 72opelguy if the car needs a rebuilt i will not put one of the 3 extra 1.9's i have in it and i will NOT spend any more money on this d*** car. the whole point of this car was to get it driveable so i can take my time to finish my 51 packard and not rush on it to get it ready before i'm 16. and later on restore this car so its gonna be driven until it dies.

·
299 Posts
well i m sorry to hear of all the trouble could be worse though you could have a ford
and one my car the hose just points down which i have herad is incorrect
i was wondering why there was no pvc valve
i have a long tube header so i might get the crank vacuum kit from jegs that uses the exhaust i create vaccum

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haha ya i could have a ford and that would be horrable!!!:) but they get me some money once in a while when them ford owners can't fix it. :p

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok got my water leak fixed thank god. all except my thermostat housing is seeping so i'll fix that today since its no big deal. no about that car smoking the way it does...........................? i am going to have to start looking into that more serousely now.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok guys when i get home tomarrow check the baffle and screen in the valve cover.i already cleaned the orfice. i have no vaccum leaks. anything else i need to do? also this is a dumb question but how touchy is the 1.9 on being over full on oil? mines a bit over full but i dont think enought to do what its doing.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Maybe I missed this in previous posts, but what color is the smoke coming out of your exhaust?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts