Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to changing life circumstances, I have decided to part with my Opel.

Located in Gilbert AZ, hoping to get $3500 with a bunch of extra parts.
More photos on dropbox here: Opel Pics
Please let me know if you have questions or want any specific photos.

Starts and runs great. I have not driven it more than a few miles at a time. I think the carb may need to be adjusted. If I remember correctly, after the choke opens it ran pretty rough, and think it also started heating up a little, so I would not plan on driving it home unless you are real close.

Some details:
1.9 engine, 4 speed manual, ~94k on the odometer, clean AZ title.
From what I can tell, just about everything is original except the carb (Weber DGAV 32/62).
I put on slot mags with brand new tires, but Firestone didn't replace the valve stems so they will need to be re-mounted.
I added a starter relay and replaced the distributor cap, rotor, wires, condenser, and plugs, and rebuilt the carb.
Typical rust under the battery. From what I can tell the PO fiberglassed over it, not pretty but seems effective.
No significant rust under the floor pans/rocker panels as far as I can tell.
Near the right headlight, there is a patch of rust, not sure how far it goes. I have a panel cut from a donor vehicle that may work to fix it.
Headlights rotate but some of the connecting plates are broken. I don't believe they lock, and I think the microswitches need to be replaced. Headlight covers are not installed but included.
Entire body and most of the engine compartment is poorly spray painted black....
Interior is ok, not great but not really bad. The exception is the driver's seat, something took a chunk out of it.
Some scratches/chips on the windshield, but overall I think the glass is pretty good.

5 bins of extra parts including:

Miata seats with speakers in the headrest. (From what I have read, these are about the best seats that will fit easily).

Spare side marker lights, tail lights, tail light housings, head lamp bulbs (housings from Manta I believe, could work with minor modification)
Spare valve cover (was going to use it for some sort of cool project)
Wiper motor assembly
Rear vented windows
Spare instrument cluster - clock replaced with radio controlled movement
2 aftermarket radios with cassette players
Original radio
Spare steering wheel, column, steering shaft - column has OGTS replacement indicator ring
Spare brake caliper (I think right side)
Headlight rotator mechanisms - one is rebuilt
Spare hood latch
Spare steering rack (rebuilt by me)

New parts:
Transmission pan gasket
Upper/lower radiator hoses
Brake rotors/pistons/hoses/pads/shoes
Wire kit for headlight rewire
Side Mirrors (may need modification to mount at the right angle)
Heater control cables
Dome light lens
Rear view mirror
Steering rack boots
Drive belt
Radiator cap - I believe it is a two way to use with an overflow tank

Lots of other small misc parts.

Attachments

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,489 Posts
I'm nearby (Mesa) if someone wants me to take a look at it for them. If it was a Manta, I'd already own it, but I don't think that GTs and my body get along well anymore.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Shame you have to part with it. It looks to be a good project car and the parts you have would almost finish it off. Good luck in your endeavors.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Jon, Congrats on your quick sale, someone recognized a good buy.
Was the buyer someone in the Phoenix / AZ area ? We like to keep those Opels nearby if possible.

( I met Jon over a year ago, and wish I had kept more in touch and possibly helped with his project somehow )

Mel, Do you have an Opel in AZ now ?

Attachments

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,489 Posts
Mel, Do you have an Opel in AZ now ?
No, the only Opel that I own at the moment is a 72 Ascona (a/k/a The Beast) back in WI. I'm down here with a 93 Honda Del Sol as my fun car. I call it the spiritual successor to the Opel Aero GT, since it took many of the neat ideas from that car, modernized it and brought it to market. Hard to believe that a 93 is almost 30 years old.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts