Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All-

I recently bought an early 1967 Kadett from a forum member and am trying to solve a couple issues. It has a one barrel Solex and the carb seems to be in good shape except that the accelerator pump barely works. This carb has an unusual sliding valve in the accelerator pump passage that's shaped a bit like a barbell. I've never seen anything like it. Is this sliding valve also supposed to have some check balls with it?

The accel pump moves some fuel but very little and the car has a nasty flat spot when one cracks the throttle with even a slight punch. I've attached a picture with an arrow pointing the sliding valve in question. Any input on how this works would be great. Thanks

Attachments

·
Detritus Maximus
2,873 Posts
I have an Opel Solex carb manual on CD somewhere. Ill see if I can find it if you are interested.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be fantastic.

I did have a breakthrough though. I figured out how to remove the accel. pump check balls and discovered that one was missing and the other was a non original glass bead! I bought new balls and now the carb is working much better. Still a bit of a stumble but I have some larger main jets coming that may help there. The car has a free flowing exhaust and that has leaned it out a bit.

I had to buy 100 each of the balls so if anyone ever needs them I'll be happy to send you one for the price of a stamp! I literally could supply every Opel in the US with Solex check balls.

·
Can Opeler
3,486 Posts
Excellent! I’m looking everywhere for a good 1967 Kadett Kiemen Coupe so keep posting questions! They will help others out later too:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I can't say I have a good one but it does run well and I've gotten the suspension feeling great with a custom front swaybar and rear panhard bar. Here's a picture of it up in the Angeles Crest mountains north of Los Angeles.

I'll be running it the 24 Hours Of Lemons at Sonoma Raceway in a week. Wish us luck. We will need it.

Attachments

·
Can Opeler
3,486 Posts
Well, I can't say I have a good one but it does run well and I've gotten the suspension feeling great with a custom front swaybar and rear panhard bar. Here's a picture of it up in the Angeles Crest mountains north of Los Angeles.

I'll be running it the 24 Hours Of Lemons at Sonoma Raceway in a week. Wish us luck. We will need it.
Ooh I’ve read all the LeMons story’s about this Kadett. It did a great job out there. I’m glad your taking it back to LeMons again.

You are driving the “GMs most affordable car” according to my Kadett dealer manuals:) have fun

·
Detritus Maximus
2,873 Posts
I found the cd with the two manuals. One is 1.9 only, the other is for the 69-70 1.9, 1.1, and 1.1 dual carb models, but the diagrams look very much like the one you posted above. It may be of some help.

The cd is scans of all pages in both manuals. About 42megs. I doubt my computer will send that much without a hiccup, but if you send your email to me we can try. Sometimes the email systems won't allow that much.
Or I can send a copy of the cd to you. I'll need your address for that.

Attachments

·
Über Genius
9,401 Posts
I have a (1.9) Solex that's only had about 30 miles driven on it. It was purchased new, installed, and the GT drove home to sit in a garage for 20 years.

I'd let it go very cheap.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found the cd with the two manuals. One is 1.9 only, the other is for the 69-70 1.9, 1.1, and 1.1 dual carb models, but the diagrams look very much like the one you posted above. It may be of some help.

The cd is scans of all pages in both manuals. About 42megs. I doubt my computer will send that much without a hiccup, but if you send your email to me we can try. Sometimes the email systems won't allow that much.
Or I can send a copy of the cd to you. I'll need your address for that.
Hi-

The 1.1 carb book would be a great thing to have! You can upload it to a dropbox.com if you give me your email address I'll show you how. I'm at [email protected] Shoot me a message. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I read that book on Visual Opel and its helpful but still no mention of the odd sliding valve in the accel pump circuit. I'll keep researching and sharing my findings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts