Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have an original solex carb on my 69 GT. Looks like the previous owner plugged off some hoses. Does anyone know where these things go?

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,574 Posts
If my memory is correct of all the hose connections on a ‘69 GT, there should be...

1. Coolant hoses for the choke
2. A hose going from the valve cover to the air filter plenum
3. A hose going from the valve cover to the intake manifold
4. A hose going from the intake manifold to the brake booster
5. A fuel line hose to the carb
6. A hose going from ported vacuum going to the distributor vacuum advance

I think a carb spacer was installed, looking at photo #2.

·
Super Moderator
5,947 Posts
There appears to be several more connections than I have seen for a Solex in an Opel GT. It has been a long time since I have had a Solex, so I am kinda' guessing here.

Hmm, the 1969 had an air injection pump, n'est pas? Did (does) yours? Might one of those feed the air pump?

Is it an automatic? One might be for the modulator valve.

In addition to the connections you have asked about, in your third photo, on the left hand side, the crimped brass tube is (I believe) the connection for the charcoal canister that feeds collected fumes into the carb throat to be burned in the engine

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,574 Posts
Hmm, the 1969 had an air injection pump, n'est pas? Did (does) yours? Might one of those feed the air pump?

charcoal canister that feeds collected fumes into the carb throat to be burned in the engine
I thought the air injection pump was only used on 1.1L GT's during '69? And wasn't the charcoal canister only used in '73 for all US spec GT's? I did read something that said California cars had them though.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
My early 71 Gt had the charcoal canister

Reactions: Autoholic

·
Super Moderator
5,947 Posts
I thought the air injection pump was only used on 1.1L GT's during '69? And wasn't the charcoal canister only used in '73 for all US spec GT's? I did read something that said California cars had them though.
No. I am not sure how many or what date range, but the Air Injection Reaction System was installed in many, if not all, 1969 Opel 1.1's AND 1.9's.

My 1971 GT was built in Oct 1970 and came with the charcoal canister system. Again, I am not sure they came in all 1971's, and may have even been installed in the late 1970 models.

Reactions: Autoholic

·
Opeler
3,103 Posts
My 1971 GT has charcoal canister system and had 28 Amp alternator.
Alternator was replaced (long time ago) with 35 Amp alternator from my departed 72 or 73 GT.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so from that document, it looks like the crimped brass hose and the plugged hose in picture 3 are for the carbon canister, which is nowhere to be found. so now its just the hoses in the second and last picture I'm unsure of. yes I do have an air pump, but from what I saw it didn't attach to any of those unknown ports. of course that doesn't mean they're not supposed to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts