Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I know the first response to this will be get a weber, but this has become personal between me and this carb! car is a 70 gt with the 1.9, solex carb(never ran right)would not keep an even idle. replaced plugs,wires,cap, rotor,changed the oil and filter, did a solid lifter adjustment,fired right up! Although it wouldnt keep an even idle after shutting down. thats when the fuel pump started to weep gas, called ogts got a replacement mechanical pump. I also put 2 clear fuel filters in,1 before the pump and 1 before the carb, BTW I noticed the one in front of the carb was only 25% full before the pump replacement and when the new pump went in, it was completely full. I thought HMMMM>>> old pump must have been weak?? Anyhow, with new pump in place turn key, vroom! yeah! WRONG, carb flooded out and gas dripping into bowl for minutes after shutdown. Tore carb down,clean, replaced needle valve, new gasket and checked float to see if it even worked, everything seemed fine. Put it all back together same thing?? did this several times with same results. How do I figure out where to set the float? Is there a possability that the pump is sending to much PSI? Would I need a fuel regulator to slow down fuel amount? Its really getting a GOOD flow of fuel!!TOO MUCH!! The carb was rebuilt a few years ago by some hack so maybe thats the problem,The whole thing might have been set up to run with the weak pump and now everything is out of wack! I just want to get it drivable for now till I can find a weber so ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated! P.S. Anyone have a complete weber swap kit for sale? I think its time to turn the solex into a boat anchor before it turns me and my car into a flaming ball of Opel!
Thanks!,
Joe

·
Registered
132 Posts
I see them on eBay all the time or you can buy it new. To test the carb to see if it is a problem, get a fuel can and hook up a line to it. Then let it gravity feed the carb and see if it still overflows, at least that should tell you if the pressure is the problem or the carb.

Good luck

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Just an idea, put a tee in your gas line and see what pressure you have. It should be between 3 to 5 pounds. If it's too high the needle and seat can't hold it. Do you have the spacer on the fuel pump? If both of those check out fine then your float is set wrong or that needle valve has a problem. HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.