Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Solex on my 1900 GT. Runs very well but I wanted to do some improvements. I separated the intake and exhaust and replaced the original gasket with Mr. Gasket Ultra-seal material as pictured. I’m hoping to restrict the heat build up under the carb and use the excess material as a heat sink. Anybody ever try this?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
To get away from the same problem your having I purchased the Sprint exhaust manifold to separate the two and get a little better flow. The results on heat reduction wasn’t as traumatic as I had hoped for the carburetor (Weber) it still picked up almost as much heat in stop & go traffic as the stock exhaust/intake, the intake manifold just picks up a lot of heat from being on the same side of the cylinder head as the exhaust ports, quite a bit of heat transfers from there as well as it being trapped under the hood with not much breathing room. Be sure that carburetor is well insulated from the intake manifold.

Let us know how it goes, hopefully it will be enough to keep your Solex in good shape, it certainly can’t hurt, every little bit helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I ran a air heat sender under the bonnet opposite side away from the direct exhaust heat of mine on a 20 deg C day the temp was 30 deg C at 30 kmh temp was 30 degC as soon as I stopped it went over 70 deg C
Best way may be cool the carb with fresh air like fiat did in the x-19.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
I ran a air heat sender under the bonnet opposite side away from the direct exhaust heat of mine on a 20 deg C day the temp was 30 deg C at 30 kmh temp was 30 degC as soon as I stopped it went over 70 deg C
Best way may be cool the carb with fresh air like fiat did in the x-19.

Hey Alex! How are you doing? Did you get your car finished? Pictures please! :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hey Alex! How are you doing? Did you get your car finished? Pictures please! :)
Hi, it's been a long time but I am retired now so I am pulling it out of moth balls.
Life took over and money ran out but its still registered despite having been half stripped for paint for years.
The more you strip the more unbelievably bad workmanship you find.
I recently built a cafe racer from a suzuki sv650 on the side for some more instant gratification which is all done bar some dyno testing and cam swap.
Then a deep breath and I'm diving back into the world of opel gt.
The last 15years I had worked for my self restoring suspension components on classic cars. From early exotics to
F trucks but I always had a smile inside just knowing I had the Opel at home especially when working on replicars because I have a real GT.
So getting back on the site is me just checking the waters before I jump.
Hope you have been well, thanks for noticing me, pictures would be a bit embarrassing at this time. But soon

·
Registered
146 Posts
Forgot to say I had custom 15" wheels made about 5 years ago 10s for the rear and 8s for the front and a stainless bumper bar kit from Harrington Group. So I have been collecting bits.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
So getting back on the site is me just checking the waters before I jump.
Hope you have been well, thanks for noticing me, pictures would be a bit embarrassing at this time. But soon
JUMP JUMP
You have nothing to be embarrassed of, some of us are all in pieces with our opels LOL

Reactions: gt alex

·
Registered
544 Posts
You are on the right track. Can't see the bottom of that heat shield, but hopefully is bright silver or white to reflect heat. Black soaks up the heat.

Sprint manifold would be ideal. You want as much separation as you can get.

If I had a 1.9 GT (mine is a 1.1) I would use a sprint manifold, and a heat shield similar to yours, and use the original Solex, which works really well if kept clean. Use techron in each tank, and keep the air bleeds clean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts