Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know i am wasting my time on a solex rebuild, but i dont want to spend the $$ on a weber if i can't get my GT restored. I'm working along doing ok.... and i twist off a bolt. No big deal, i'm sure i can manage. Next I run acrossed something that just looks aweful, and i think only half there. The rebuild diagram says its a "vavle - vent bowl". I can't find any info on the net about where to get one, or exactly what it is so i could make one. Any ideas? Let me know if you need pictures. Also, you know if this is a quick fix? My mother won't like my carb sitting on the kitchen table for more than a day :(
Steven

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
i have an old solex thats in ok condition if u cant find anything post a pic and maybe i can get u the piece.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have an old solex as well that came out of a low mileage car. It has not had gasoline run through it for 20 some odd years now, but all the internal parts would be good still. I would be willing to sell you the WHOLE THING really cheap. You would have a good "parts carb" that way. I am certain that all teh gaskets and what not are gone in it however. 20 years is not kind to such materials.

Email me if you are interested:

[email protected]

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I have some NOS solex stuff. Not sure what is there. I know gaskets and bowl valves a plenty. Say the word at it's yours. It's solex and if you are trying to keep one going the price is free. I know what your working on and your a braver man than me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those parts would be great nobody. I would really like to atleast fix what I broke. PM me with more info?
Steven

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
calvin said:
I have a weber 32/36 that i would let go cheap
How Cheap? I'm still running a solex and would like to try a weber. PM me when you get a chance

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm also going to rebuild my solex although i would really like to have a weber but it comes down to money. I have the solex so i'm going to try to make it work. I haven't started to rebuild it yet is it difficult?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't think the rebuild was that hard, although, i broke a piece. Since I am still waiting for a piece in the mail I havent tried the carb since. If it works, the rebuild was easy, if it doesn't work, it was hard.

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
The rebuild is easy but they always give you extra parts due to the differences between years.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The carb is now on the car and running well, but it has developed a small fuel leak where the brass fitting for the fuel line goes. I have tried flaring the end a bit but it still leaked. Can i just epoxy that fitting to the carb or use an RTV? Maybe if I'm brave enough with the torch i could try to solder it on. Thanks for all the help so far!

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
steven i would not go near the carb top with any sort of torch as the metal is not a very high melting point
plus it may distort, better to try epoxy first and use solder as last resort
if you have to try it then scold the top with hot water and soap powder (not as much salt as washing up liquid) then give it a good wash in hot water to remove any flux left on it

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Here's the question. Where exactly is the fitting leaking? Do you have fuel coming from between the carb and the fitting threads? If so get some teflon tape and wrap the threads with it then screw the fitting in. If it's coming from between the fitting and the tube, use some plumber's putty for gas pipes. Pull the fitting back on the tube, coat the exposed part of the tube with the putty, slide the fitting back on the tube, screw it in the carb and let it set overnight. Either problem should be fixed with the above cures. Epoxy or torching the fitting to cure the problem will result in not being able to get the fitting out of the carb at a later date, not a good thing. And using heat on or near gasoline is definately not a good thing. HTH.

Ron

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
calvin/GopelT....how much for your webers?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the fitting isn't threaded, but threading it and the carb is an option too. The leak is where the fitting goes into the carb. When you try to pull the fuel line off the fitting, the whole thing just pops right out of the carb. BTW, the torch was a joke.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Well, "Open Foot, Insert Mouth" I guess I've been away too long from a Solex Carb. In that case, JB Weld or a similar permanent fix would be in order. None of my GTs had a Solex carb on more than a month after I got them. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

Ron

1 - 18 of 18 Posts