Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Opeler
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the original Solex carb still on the car. There are two vacuum lines that run from the distributor over to where the carb is. One is connected to the carb, the other just dangles in mid-air. It was this way when I bought the car. The service manual pictures only show one connecting to the carb.

Anyone have an idea where the other line is supposed to go? Also, they are not the same size. The one on the carb is bigger than the dangling one. :confused:

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
the smaller line from the distributor is the "vacuum retard" line. that line should go from the can on the dizzy to a small port on the side of the intake manifold, probably real close to where the line coming from the brake booster connects.

·
Registered
616 Posts
in jpiper's photo album there is a pic of a solex carb with all the lines and everything labeled, it should help you out with any carb connections

·
131 Posts
What about if lower vacuum port was removed

My intake was torquered and with that, the lower vacuum port was removed. The advance probably hooked up to that. What should I do to gain a port back?

·
Opeler
847 Posts
rockytopmark said:
My intake was torquered and with that, the lower vacuum port was removed. The advance probably hooked up to that. What should I do to gain a port back?
The advance port is on the carburetor. It's the one that should have very little or no vacuum at idle, vacuum present when the throttle is opened.

The retard port is found on the same fitting that threads into the intake manifold and has the large hose barb for the brake booster. There are usually one or two smaller ports on the same fitting. The smallest one is for the vacuum retard diaphragm on the distributor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts