Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I tell which one do I have in my '70 GT, I'm getting ready to do a valve adjustment, and reading through the posts I realized that I don't know what I have.
Thank you.

·
Curve Crazy GT
399 Posts
i believe , but i may be mistaken that a hydrolic lifter has a small hole threw it, about in the middel of the side, and the solid does not.

chris

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Yeah! But ...

Sorry! Can't see the hole in the side while they are still in the head.....

When the motor is stopped try pushing down on the lifter end of a couple of rocker arms. If there is just a bit of a gap and the lifter "button" will not compress then you have solid lifters. If there is hardly any clearance and the lifter "button" ( the bit the tiny sliding ball on the rocker locates in) should compress against a quite heavy spring and move up & down a couple of millimetres. You can compress this spring in a new hydraulic lifter by holding the lifter between thumb and finger, so the spring is no hugely strong.
The other, visual, telltale sign is a crimped metal capping ring holding the lifter "button" in place on hydraulic lifters - the solids do not have this ruffed collar around their necks ... searching for picture.

Now for a picture... : The one on the right is an Opel hydraulic lifter - the left is a Ford Orion hydraulic lifter. See the steel blue pressed band around the lifter below the "button" - The Ford one has a "ruffle" !

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Al Olmo said:
How can I tell which one do I have in my '70 GT, I'm getting ready to do a valve adjustment, and reading through the posts I realized that I don't know what I have.
Thank you.
If you have a '70 GT (which your signature says you have two of), and the engine hasn't been fiddled with, you should have solid lifters, a three-bearing cam, and flat top (high compression 9.0:1) pistons.

HTH

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you friends, know I have a good idea of how to go about it, I'm getting ready to do a valve adjustment job and I need it to know what I was up against, they are solid it is a stock 1970 GT.
Thank you again.

·
Curve Crazy GT
399 Posts
is this solid or hydrolic???

does any one have a picture of a solid and a hydrolic lifter
i have mine out and i kinda wanna know. thanks

·
Curve Crazy GT
399 Posts
ya i saw that but i was wondering what a solid would look like, just kinda a side by side comparison

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is a side by side picture here somewhere. If not I have a set of both I can take a picture of tomorrow. Jarrell

·
Curve Crazy GT
399 Posts
so taht means i have a hydrolic lifter, but it has the high comp asterics on teh motor, waht does taht mean, i thouhgt only the low comp motors had hyd. lifters??

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
What year model? It could have been at the end of the change over, and they had blocks and newer heads. Then again it could have been done by a PO and the head rebuilt that way. Hth. Jarrell

1 - 14 of 14 Posts