1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
648 Posts
He even beat an M3!
Great job, Lee.

James

·
648 Posts
It's amazing how time flies and how all the "real" sports cars have disappeared from Solo II. When I started racing my Spitfire in the mid nineties, we would always have several British cars in various classes, a couple of Fiats or Alfas, and a few older Z cars and 510's. Granted, I really haven't autoXed the Opel very much, but every event I have been to with it over the last few years, it's always the oldest. The only thing I am seeing even close are a few die hards running 1st generation RX7's.

Of course, while I am concerned with making it home from an event in 90+ heat with a 35 year old car and the pounding my kidneys are taking, most other racer's biggest worries are now what CD to listen to with their A/C blowing cold air.

Times be changing.......

Jc

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't give up on older sports cars

I autocross quite a bit and my primary autocross car is a 1972 240Z. It has been heavily modified, yet still has the stock motor (I am currently about halfway done building a storker motor for it). Despite being 33 years old and in one of the toughest classes (SM2), I am still quite competitive. Generally I am around 25th out of 130+ drivers over all. In class I am usually 4th or 5th out of about 12 cars. I think that is pretty good considering it is still street legal, has the stock engine, and I am going up against the latest turbo charged/super charged creations.
We recently aquired a 1972 Opel GT, which is going to be my wifes autocross car. Maybe someday we will be able to post results like that 73, but while our car is in really good condition, it is a long way from being that well set up.

Pete Sprenger

·
Opeler
36 Posts
Wow what a suprise seeing my name. That was the first event of the year and I was sorting out the things I did over the winter. I made the mistake of doing too many things, I usually do one thing this year I did 5. I went form 15X7's to 13X9's, Modified my lower control arms to take Chrysler screw in ball joints, Roller rockers, Modified head to take the rollers and a new cam.
My car has a 2.4 with a 3 bearing 1970 head, my intake is a welded and ported per Bob L. and I run a 40DFAV. I run in a class with Turbocharged and
Supercharged Miatas, Turbo MR2's Modified Vette's etc. I do very well usually 1st or 2nd in class and top ten raw. btw the Mosley's co-drive that MR2 and another car at our events which gives them alot of looks at the course and warm tires. Here's our site with all the events we've run this year.
www.mnautox.com

Lee Frisvold
73 GT 2.4 SM2 long time autocrosser

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just saw the question to me even though it was sent 4 weeks ago. Sorry. Anyway, I usually race with Bremerton Sports car club (www.bscc.net), the Western Washington Sports Car Council (www.wwscc.org), and the SCCA (the wwscc.org web site has the calendar of events for all three clubs). Are you in the Seattle area too? You can contact me directly at [email protected] if you don't want to wait a month for me to reply. :eek:

Pete Sprenger
1972 Opel GT
1972 240Z

·
Registered
58 Posts
SkiWaNow said:
I just saw the question to me even though it was sent 4 weeks ago. Sorry.

Are you in the Seattle area too?
N/p on the delay, I don't frequent here much either.

I'm just north of you up in Vancouver, BC area (Surrey, BC actually)

Mainly just wondering what autoX clubs there are down there in case i go down 1 weekend & want to watch. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts