Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
9,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Solstice/Sky came out in first place on Oppositelock's Parts Bin Bastard list.

Is Your Car a Parts Bin Bastard?

1. Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky

Is Your Car a Parts Bin Bastard?

The Solstice and Sky were just plain parts bin bastards. Here are just some of the items picked up from other manufacturers or models:

The base 2.4L engine comes from the Chevy Cobalt.
The transmission comes from the Chevy Colorado, which itself was a redesign of a Toyota Supra transmission from the 80s.
The mirrors come from the Fiat Barchetta.
The backup lights come straight off the GMC Envoy SUV.
The rear differential comes from the Cadillac CTS.
The HVAC equipment comes off the Hummer H3.
Steering Wheel comes from the Chevy Malibu.
Airbags and door handles also come from the Cobalt

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Gary, that article made for interesting reading. I have a Sky and didn't realize there were so many parts that are from other cars. That's OK, because I plan to keep it, and it's handy to know some of the major parts will still be available.

Bob

·
Administrator
9,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gary, that article made for interesting reading. I have a Sky and didn't realize there were so many parts that are from other cars. That's OK, because I plan to keep it, and it's handy to know some of the major parts will still be available.

Bob
That was one of my reasons for posting it.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Speaking of Opel badges, I am looking for the GT badge that was put on the Opel GT (2007 model). I just got an email from Gil that they don't have them any more. He got 200 of them when the Delaware plant closed, and just sold through them a couple weeks ago. If any knows of a source for that badge, I would appreciate a heads up.

Bob

4,231 Posts

·
Can Opeler
3,217 Posts
I plan to own one of the solstices in the far future. I have a feeling that in 30-40 years these suckers will be classics:)
Hooray for future project cars and lots of available parts! :yup:

4,231 Posts
I plan to own one of the solstices in the far future. I have a feeling that in 30-40 years these suckers will be classics:)
Hooray for future project cars and lots of available parts! :yup:
Its all worthless when you not buy all the electronic-units and software for those cars now:haha:
Most cars from today cant run without that gimmicks and in 20 years most not avilaible:sigh:

·
Can Opeler
3,217 Posts
Its all worthless when you not buy all the electronic-units and software for those cars now:haha:
Most cars from today cant run without that gimmicks and in 20 years most not avilaible:sigh:
There's always been a market for old technology and hopefully the future will be no different!
There's a store in Norman ok that sells old 90s and 00s computers and upgrades for the old computers along with their stock of shiny new machines.
Maybe there will be SolsticeSource in the future with a hefty electronics section!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
There's always been a market for old technology and hopefully the future will be no different!
There's a store in Norman ok that sells old 90s and 00s computers and upgrades for the old computers along with their stock of shiny new machines.
Maybe there will be SolsticeSource in the future with a hefty electronics section!
Nearly all electronics are time bombs. Electrolytic caps dry out, passives drift with heat and age, thermal cycling takes its toll on everything, last-buys on popcorn parts happen weekly. Today's cars will either revert to old tech or become wall art. IMO.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,986 Posts
I'll start a company called Solstice Unlimited! We'll have weekly exciting and amazing sales with a carnival-like atmosphere, ferris wheels, Goodyear tire tosses, clowns, balloons, etc.! I'll sell cardboard dashboards! Genuine wood floorboards! And if you need a recall done by me I'll never pick up the phone or call you back! Wheeeeee!

:banana:

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
3,947 Posts
Where is the problem:confused:
I am using a page translator so I can understand the offer. Under the postage section it says they only ship to Germany. Since I am not in Germany, that would be a problem. Unless you are the seller and are willing to send to the US.

Bpb
I think that Norbert's comment was just the result of the slightly sarcastic humor of a German Opeler against us Americans... :yup:

:veryhappy

Dieter

·
Administrator
9,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think that Norbert's comment was just the result of the slightly sarcastic humor of a German Opeler against us Americans... :yup:

:veryhappy

Dieter
And that he may "know" someone who would be able to ship it top the U.S.

4,231 Posts
I am using a page translator so I can understand the offer. Under the postage section it says they only ship to Germany. Since I am not in Germany, that would be a problem. Unless you are the seller and are willing to send to the US.

Bpb
I get two emblems today from my Opel dealer.Let me know if you want both:yup:

·
Opel Addicts
2,455 Posts
Gordo - you are soooooo baaaaad!

I'll start a company called Solstice Unlimited! We'll have weekly exciting and amazing sales with a carnival-like atmosphere, ferris wheels, Goodyear tire tosses, clowns, balloons, etc.! I'll sell cardboard dashboards! Genuine wood floorboards! And if you need a recall done by me I'll never pick up the phone or call you back! Wheeeeee!

:banana:
I really hope for both of our sakes that there is also a company called "Solstice / Sky Source" We should only be so lucky! :beerchug:

Allen Gage :cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts