Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
New or Used?

Most original wiring harnesses are getting a bit old - the insulation deteriorates.

There is also and early and late model GT harness with slight differences.
need to let people know which year GT you have.

There are new harnesses available but they need splicing into the car - not a direct wire-up Charles Goin sells them - do a search and you will find the wiring Thread.

Look here: http://www.opelgt.com/forums/1d-wiring-diagrams/7668-opel-gt-ez-wire-thread.html?highlight=wiring

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Having gone through two complete wiring harness changes and making additional changes to incorporate the engine swap and engine computer integrated into the GT harness, let me give youa heads up on what I've found. First off, you'll need the DESTEC wiring schematic, made by J. J. Wheatley. You can e-mail him by doing a member search for DESTEC, but be patient, he has an old slow computer and takes a while to respond. Secondly, most of the wiring in a GT is in fairly good shape, especially where it is protected by the vinyl sleeving. Areas of concern are at the headlights and headlight relays, Extra care needs to be taken, because, as Jim stated, the insulation has been known to break down and cause electrical fires. If possible use the original fuse panel and connectors, the reasoning behind this is to simplify tracing out the circuits, using the DESTEC schematic. What I have done is to use new wires and solder about 12 inches of the old color coded wire at the ends of the new wire, especially helpful at the connectors. Just a note about the DESTEC schemtic, JJ has numerous notes in his schematic that will assist you in making some changes to the wiring, it is totally color coded with all the wire sizes annotated, and at approximately 14" X 22". it is very easy to read.

·
Registered
44 Posts
my problem

yea see... my problem is the fact that right where the wiring harness comes out of the firewall, the previous owner of the car just randomly cut all the wires for my lights and horn and so on. Theres just a bunch of random stuff that was randomly done to my car before I bought it, just random wires cut apart and random fuses missing. Its a mess. :banghead: A really big mess.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Well then, It's for sure that you need one of JJs schematics, if for nothing else than to see where the wires should go. If the whole harness was cut at the firewall, you still have a good amount of color coded wires you can use to trace out the circuits. All I can say now after learning of your problem is to wish you lotsa luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts