Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have searched on other forums and have not had much luck since these are hard wheels to come by because they don't make any in the size I need, so I need some 4x100 13x8 widened steelies if you have any or know of someone that does let me know. thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
Your best bet in this situation would be to find a set of stock wheels and just have them widened. There's really none out there. Most people would rather have custom wheels rather than stock or widened.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your best bet in this situation would be to find a set of stock wheels and just have them widened. There's really none out there. Most people would rather have custom wheels rather than stock or widened.
Yeah, that's what I figured haha I want to keep the steelies but just have some nice tire on it since I'm going have some power. I will most likely end up widening them. thank you

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
Nothing wrong with steelies..even widened....just that no one has them "in stock". I have 2 widened OEM Rallye wheels, the Rostyle look a likes, but, they're not for sale, they belong to my Nephew and he ain't selling them.....already asked...LOL...but, the rallys DEFINITELY look awesome widened.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
This guy in Portland has been doing some, but says he backed off this year. Or check the shops where circle trackers get their work done.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing wrong with steelies..even widened....just that no one has them "in stock". I have 2 widened OEM Rallye wheels, the Rostyle look a likes, but, they're not for sale, they belong to my Nephew and he ain't selling them.....already asked...LOL...but, the rallys DEFINITELY look awesome widened.
Yeah I just love the look of them haha I would go aftermarket but I like the steelies.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This guy in Portland has been doing some, but says he backed off this year. Or check the shops where circle trackers get their work done.
Awesome ill check it out!

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
One disadvantage with steelies...they can get pretty heavy. It may not apply in your case, but on rough roads, the added unsprung weight starts to overcome the shocks. The bigger tires to go with them just adds to that problem.

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
I’m a fan of widened steel wheels too, but just be aware not all of the wheel designs play well with bigger brakes.

I presume if you are talking about more power you also want to stop!

You also didn’t say how wide you wanted to go, or what chassis you are fitting these to. Kadetts have the smallest wheel clearance, while the Manta/Ascona chassis can fit 8” up front and 9” out back with some light fender flange massaging.

Backspacing limits are also different between GT and Manta.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It would not surprise me if Todd did not have some already widened....he has a huge stack of wheels...and racks of aftermarket wheels...lots and lots.. Opels Unlimited

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m a fan of widened steel wheels too, but just be aware not all of the wheel designs play well with bigger brakes.

I presume if you are talking about more power you also want to stop!

You also didn’t say how wide you wanted to go, or what chassis you are fitting these to. Kadetts have the smallest wheel clearance, while the Manta/Ascona chassis can fit 8” up front and 9” out back with some light fender flange massaging.

Backspacing limits are also different between GT and Manta.

View attachment 432013
Yeah, I will keep that in mind when building my Kadett thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One disadvantage with steelies...they can get pretty heavy. It may not apply in your case, but on rough roads, the added unsprung weight starts to overcome the shocks. The bigger tires to go with them just adds to that problem.
I gotcha, I will also keep that in mind I do want to keep the steelie look though, is this like something minor? or is this something that you should keep tabs on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It would not surprise me if Todd did not have some already widened....he has a huge stack of wheels...and racks of aftermarket wheels...lots and lots.. Opels Unlimited
I might have to check that out sometime thanks!.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
I gotcha, I will also keep that in mind I do want to keep the steelie look though, is this like something minor? or is this something that you should keep tabs on.
On smooth roads, minor. On rough roads, major.

Remember, my racing background is rally. On gravel stage roads, low unsprung weight is critical to keeping the tires in contact with the road so (with what is already limited cornering traction), so I am more conscious than most of this.

So judge it by your planned use, and the roads on which you will commonly drive. For example, hard cornering on old concrete roads with seams, or other rough pavement, can make this show up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On smooth roads, minor. On rough roads, major.

Remember, my racing background is rally. On gravel stage roads, low unsprung weight is critical to keeping the tires in contact with the road so (with what is already limited cornering traction), so I am more conscious than most of this.

So judge it by your planned use, and the roads on which you will commonly drive. For example, hard cornering on old concrete roads with seams, or other rough pavement, can make this show up.
I gotcha ill have to keep that in mind my build will most likely just be a summer build because I have other builds I want to continue on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts