Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help there is oil all over the drivers side of my engine, My car had two small backfires I think because the wire from the carb came loose and touched the hood. The oil is below the spark plugs but is everywhere the alt the engine you name it on the drivers side it is there, what caused this, this is my only car right now and I am not sure what is going on. :eek: :eek:

·
1,709 Posts
may be the eng. block plug , near the dip stick tube , what year is your eng. , ??

·
opel assimilated
145 Posts
I second the engine block plug. Run the car and look where the oil is coming from. Mine did that and a good temp fix is a wine cork, or duct tape rolled up into a plug.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I'm kinda late on this one, but I'll throw something in here that may make it easier to isolate the leaks. Get some Simple Green or similar cleaner and spray down the whole area, get a trashed paint brush and clean as good as possible, and before you start the motor. Simple Green is a water soluble cleaner and will hold any junk in suspension, just hose down the area with a gentle stream of water. Be careful around the distributor and coil, you don't want either wet. Once the engine is clean fairly well the leaks will be very visible or should be and if not, with the motor clean you can trace back to where the leak originated. HTH.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Yep

Right down on the edge of the block - one has the dip stick in it and the other is about 100mm away from it along the pan rail edge. Should be a "rubber" plug in the second one.

PS: Just don'r run water into the hole as you clean the motor down! Plug it with something first!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have oil all the way up to the radiator could oil be getting past the distributor? Jim that is underneath the block correct so i need to get undr the car?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Have a look at the valve cover gasket, they are prone to leak on one side or the other. Especially in the back

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Nope

Along the top of the lower edge of the block - one where the dip stick is and the other a bit further along which was an alternative dip stick hole for a different sump.

·
opel assimilated
145 Posts
Stand over your car and look at the dipstick, then look about 3-4 inches toward the front of the car in front of the dipstick. That is probably the plug you are missing.

·
gogtgo
46 Posts
could be a number of things

I don't want to get your hopes up about if its just a plug, because I am not looking at it. There is always a good chance its the timing chain cover or a head gasket. The distributor also has an O ring that fits at top of shaft down into the timing cover which can wear out

·
199 Posts
Another thing to look for is the cam plate on the front of the head. Mine just wiggled loose causing oil to hit the fan and spew everywhere on the driver side. Even came out of the hood vent!! Oil drenched plug wire doesnt seem good!

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
73 gt man said:
I have oil all the way up to the radiator could oil be getting past the distributor?
If there is oil coming out the base of the distributor, the odds are pretty good you motor has enough blow-by that it is pressurizing the crankcase and squeezing oil out anywhere it can. Easy check, pop the oil filler cap with the engine running and hold you hand over the hole. A little breeze past you hand is probably not too serious, but if it feels like a stinky fan is blowing on your hand you'll probably not get the oil problem fixed quickly or easily any time soon. At that point the decision will need to be made to either do a serious revamp of the PCV system, one that will allow that kind of blow by and handle the oil vapors, or rebuild the motor.

Hopefully that's not the case for you, but if it is we may need to work in a different direction. Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts