Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Opeler
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up and it was gone like it was never there! Not even glass to confirm its existance. If any one sees a newly painted midnight blue GT with california edition spoiler W/ skirts and 15" wheels let me know!!! I guess I am now shopping around for an opel, I am 18 years old and don't have much money, but maybe someone knows of a GT near Phoenix, AZ?

Thanks,
Malcolm,

·
Administrator
10,231 Posts
Post some more info about the GT (VIN, pics, etc.) so we can be on the lookout. Was it stolen in Phoenix? Maybe it was taken for a joy ride and then abandoned. It's not the kind of car you can drive without being noticed......

Good luck, hope you get it back.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
just make sure it wasn't towed. by a private company for a landlord or such. or by the city police if you have unpaid tickets or warrents. both of these have happened to me before, my first reaction was to think they were stolen. good luck...jon

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
that is some bullsh*t

sorry to hear about that, personally i think that a crazy person shouldn't even be able to even look at a gt, much less steal it. good luck and hope you get it back.

·
2,054 Posts
Car Security

This is the second time in a couple of months we've heard of a member's car stolen.

Guys, install those cut-out switches, and maybe throw a club on the wheel. Some ideas were tossed around a few months ago. And while you're at it, do the following:

Remove all papers with personal information such as bill statements, bank statements, and even owner registration & proof of insurance. Once a car thief steals your car from the movie theater he knows you aren't getting home for a few hours and he'll have your address and automatic garage door opener. (I keep registration & insurance papers in a locked compartment)

Don't leave anything lying around in the car like a CD player or any package. It becomes an attractive nuisance that someone will break into your car just to steal - and now you have to go find a new window just 'cause some dufess didn't know that shopping bag on the seat didn't contain anything more valuable than old laundry.

I drive a convertible. And I make sure there is nothing of value in it, including my garage door opener. Its got the stock AM/FM radio in the dash which is worth nothing. The CD player is in the trunk. I never lock the car, especially the rare occasion the top is up. Anyone is free to rummage through the car. I lose coins and my cheap sunglasses occasionally. And the worst that happened is I returned to find a homeless guy asleep in the passenger seat. (at least he didn't pee on my new upholstery)

And throw on an alarm system while you're at it.

Let's not have any more of our Opels stolen.

And keep an eye out on eBay in case Malcolm's Opel shows up as parts for sale. Phoenix area right?

·
Opeler
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the support guys. I have not found it yet, so
chances are that I won't. I can't keep taking the bus everywhere, so if anyone knows of a GT in AZ that runs ok please tell me, so that I won't have to resort to buying some honda or mitsu. thanks again guys.

·
Opeler
29 Posts
damn...

Sorry to hear about your loss. Mine was stolen a couple months ago, so i know how you feel. I had given up on it by the time it was found. One thing i can advise is dont give up hope, check all
empty lots or bisuness parks around your house. I looked every where for my car except for the immediate area around my house. Turns out it was only a block away for the three months it was missing.

Good luck,
Robert

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
You wouldn't happen to have a photo of this car would you? That would only help anyone spot it.

·
Opeler
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have any pics. I wish I did, but then again I'd probably get very depressed seeing it and knowing that it was not mine anymore. It's very easy to spot: cali. front spoiler skirts and it was a dark midnight blue (newly painted) very nice shape!

Well on the positive side, my father might give me his GT so I won't have to purchase some honda! Thanks for the support! (This group is great, full of honest people with kind hearts)

Malcolm,

·
Registered
136 Posts
That really sucks....the cops chased someone out of my gt this mourning, they didnt catch him. But they said he was trying to start it, sometimes a burned out ignition is a good thing (have a push button starter tucked under the dash). They managed to sractch my doors up, but it looks like everything else was left alone. Wish we had garage space for the gt :( I think this should be a wakeup call for everyone. Get pics, lots of them, make sure you have all your information handy. Just in case something terrible happens.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
this is depressing

ok I have to say this has to be one of the most depressing forums i have ever seen. you guys that don't have have a garage get a cheap 50 dollar alarm from ebay. they work good. it'll let you know when someone is messing with your gt, then all you have to do is call the cops, or go out their with the 9mm pistol and shoot a couple a rounds into their leg. Just make sure you don't get blood or bullet holes in or on the gt.

·
Opeler
29 Posts
alarm

My Opel was stolen, but i was fortunate enough to get it back
(3 months later). The first thing I bought was an alarm.

The one I purchaced is a Pheonox Digital PD-175.

It has an LCD display on the remote that tells you how the alarm was set off (door opened, shock, etc.) that works from about 2 blocks away (fm frequency). And the remote either vibrates or emits a tune when the alarm goes off(your choice) which is handy when your in a store or such.

It also is capable of remote start/kill regardless if it is carbuerated and manual, so you can warm your car up in the morning with the doors locked and the keys in your pocket.

So whats the price?

I picked mine up from www.teptronics.com for $120.00 AFTER s&h.

In my opinion a worthwhile investment.

Good luck in finding your car!

Robert

Attachments

·
1,973 Posts
what is involved with installing that?

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
i looked it up on there website looks like a lot of install work and just adding to the wire loom of the gt. it maybe a good deal though.

·
Opeler
29 Posts
The alarm part was easy to hook up, there are only about 6 wires to hook up there.

The remote start however, there is a massive amount of wires that is honestly a bit intimidating. Having never installed remote start before it was long and frustrating, but in the end a wiring diagram and a little patience was all that was needed.

to get everything installed and tripple checked it took me, a novice, around 4 hours.

But I will say it was worth it.

·
184 Posts
Ever one of my cars has the "Less Than $15 Passive Kill Feature" that is outlined in the following thread:

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1505&highlight=passive+alarm

Not really an alarm, it's a automatic kill switch. Automatically arms every time, just turn off you car. Only you know where the enable switch is. It's so cheap, easy to install, and effective; it just doesn't make sense NOT to put it in your car.

If some one really wants your car (like a Pro), it's gone. But this little device will stop the average jerk from starting the engine and driving away with your prized possession.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
yes normally remote start systems say they are for automatics only the only thing is if u install them in a manual trans car u just got to rember not to put it in gear, which i dont highly recomend seen to many cars roll down hills taht have manual trans and the guy has forgootten to turn the wheels and put it in gear.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts