Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cheap mirrors..

for me..I like these mirrrors...fits my car since I have a vintage look.

they were $6.99 each,they look like chrome,and the base can be trimmed so that you can get the right angle on the passengers side.

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Jimsky mirrors

I denounce my prior post on $10 cheap mirrors..you pay for what you get.The glass was crap and the angle s were wrong..but they were cheap.

Jimsky mentioned these "motorcycle fairing mirrors".the glass is great,I like the wide base.these adjust perfectly.Jimsky said so..

I ordered yesterday..shipped same day..online ordered.
I highly recommend these mirrors.

you can use your stock door holes if you ream out the J. mirors.

again..thanks Jimsky for the pointer..I never would have found theses on my own ..since they are so obscure.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
ilike your new mirrors- nice upgrade. Even though the style is more modern, they look great. At least cheap glass can be recycled.:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
fender mirrors

Is there anyone out there that is currently using fender mirrors on their Opel GT? If so, how do you rate them in comparison with the door side mirrors?

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i was just thinking of the same thing today, since i had to put a door mirrion on my GT to keep the cops off my back, scared to death, thought they wanted me from a little fun from 2 weeks ago, said i need a door mirrior, but i dont like how they put them in the middle of the door basically, and wondered about moving them further forward on the door or even on the fender, i seen a picture of a GT for sale on here a while ago, maybe 4-5 months ago that had mirriors on the fenders. sorta looked like mirrios on the LeMans 24Hour cars.

·
451 Posts
I have them- they suck. They look nice, but are lacking in functionality. They are better than no mirrors but the fact of the matter is that they are too small and too far away to be able to see much at all. The passengers side is worse (as you can imagine)

My advice is go for first generation RX7 mirrors (see Wayne Tormans article). Even if you do not use the power mirrors they still look good and fit the contours of the doors very nicely.

I snagged a set on Ebay for ~$30 bucks shipped.

Nathan Acree
Albuquerque New Mexico

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
I find this mirror very easy to adjust when the door is open or the window is all the way down... but I have long arms, too. Because the mirror is farther away from you, you can see more of the surrounding area... has to do with angle of reflection. I could draw you a diagram of why this is true.

Attachments

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
yep, those would be it, guess the fender mirriors have probably already been ruled out.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
maybe not, i'd be interested in more oppinions.........i just hate the stock location, too far from the front of the door and it looks flat out funny

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jimsky mirrors!

why would want electric?roll down and reach over the passenger to your stock location jimsky mirror(motorcycle faring mirror).

I like the jimsky...it has an odd shape ..that I like ..vision is good and they adjust freely.

do a search on jimsky

·
2,054 Posts
I had a door mirror. Looks - Great Funtionality - Stunk

I took it to the paint shop that shot the car and had them shoot the housing the same Holly Red. Then painted the base black. But never could adjust the angle correctly.

Been thinking of fender mirrors myself after seeing pics of the Opel prototypes with them. Love the one in the photo above (yellow car). And I like the silver mirrors on the silver car - but leads me to ask the question, "How can you work on the engine with those mirrors there? Do you have to take them off?"

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
you can always pray you dont have to work on it, wonder how far that gets ya...? LOL

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also liked the mirror on the yellow opel (propel). Where can they be purchased? Someone mentioned that the police made them put on door mirrors, has anyone else had a problem with that?

·
2,054 Posts
No wonder I could never get that side mirror adjusted correctly. The one I found in a box of parts was just like the fender mirror mounted on that yellow GT. But the mounting holes were in the door. So I thought that was where it went.

The GT I have was an abandoned car that had been torn down for a project, and abandoned 13 years before I found it. All the parts had been thrown in boxes along with most, but not all, of the nuts & bolts. Some parts I've never identified and are still up in the storage rack.

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
How can you work on the engine with those mirrors there? Do you have to take them off?
That black fender mirror comes off very easily (30 seconds)... in a sneaky manner which leaves the mounting base still on the car.

I also liked the mirror on the yellow opel (propel). Where can they be purchased?
Alas, it is no longer produced or available... it was made in Germany in the early 70's. But I've seen other Talbot-style mirrors that look very similar.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
PROPEL said:
I find this mirror very easy to adjust when the door is open or the window is all the way down... but I have long arms, too. Because the mirror is farther away from you, you can see more of the surrounding area... has to do with angle of reflection. I could draw you a diagram of why this is true.
I don't believe you, I think that the closer they are to you the mirror the more you can see of the surrounding area. Moving them farther away shrinks the range of the angle of reflection that you have.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
angle

I think chris is right on the angle of the mirror..oh by the way..
for chris...How does a dgas carb work on a 2liter?is you r engine built for performance or are you using small jets?

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
it worked pretty well, I actually just sold that car. I never messed with the jets, but it was a built up motor.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts