Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Just thought I'd introduce myself here. My name's Dan, I'm from Regina, Sask, and I'm a car-a-holic. ;) The addiction starts many years ago and I've done a lot with that knowledge. 5 years ago, I started SaskDSM, a club dedicated to the Eagle Talon.
http://sask.dsm.org
I've gone through two Turbo AWD Talons and gained endless knowledge about them. Last year, I began a new club for 84-88 Nissan 200SX owners called Club-S12.
http://www.club-s12.org
It has really gained in popularity and has garnered close to 350 members worldwide. If it's got 4 cylinders and a turbo, I'm all about it.

I've been searching all winter for a project car, something light, cheap, good looking and able to take a RWD Import engine swap. I checked out many Triumphs, MG's, Datsuns, etc. but could never find one in decent shape or for the right price.

Last week, a guy posted on our local club board that his stepfather has had an Opel sitting in his garage for 5 years and that's never been touched since he bought it. I took a look at it, and it's a beautiful baby blue 1971 Opel GT. The body panels are in great shape with barely a spec of rust. The interior (the parts that are left) are still in great shape. It's even still got the original dealer sticker on the back (Regina Motor Products 1970). The car had been used for circle track racing a long time ago, as it has a Ford V6 with 4-speed installed, as well as a rear mounted battery, roll bar, and some weight reductions have taken place. That's alright though, as it saves me work later on. :)

I just got approval from the bank for a line of credit, so it looks like I'm going to pick her up within the next few days. First thing will probably be a complete strip down and paint job. From there, I'm thinking either a RWD 4G63 setup (Talon engine) or importing an SR20DET to implant in that engine bay. Should be a fun project either way.

Anyways, just thought I'd say 'Hi!"

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not too bad. The carb sticks up too high, and he couldn't afford a hood scoop, so he welded a paint roller pan upside down on the hood and cut a hole in it. :p The shifter sits on a thick upsidedown "U" shape piece of metal that was welded to the driveshaft tunnel. I think it's still using the stock rear end as well.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Keith. The car will be delivered saturday afternoon, so I'll get some pictures as soon as I can. Now if only this snow would go away... :rolleyes:

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4G63 + W58 transmission = Fun! :)

One bump in the road -> The rear end. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about this yet. I may try and transplant an IRS from an older Nissan, or maybe just go for the Toyota truck diff that everybody is talking about. Can you get LSD inserts for the Toyota diff though?

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hey Ben, nothing has happened with it recently. Mostly been doing design work and financial planning. I bought a Mustang 5.0 GT rear end and test fitted it to the car (see May 28 pics), but decided it was too heavy and I hated the fact that I was doing all this work to have it end up still being a live-axle car, so I took it back. I've recently sourced a welder who will install a 1985 Supra independant rear suspension into the car, so that will be exciting. I couldn't stand the thought of putting that live rear axle back into the car. It's like taking a shower and then just going back out and jumping in the mud. The IRS should modernize the car, and the MKII Supra rear ends have been tested to quite high hp levels, so I'll be safe from breaking rear ends for quite some time.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm really going to have to post an update to my build sometime. I was just reading through my old posts and I've learned a lot since I first bought this car. Some of the stuff I said back there... whew. Way off the ball.

I've gained a lot of knowledge in regards to painting and welding over the past year, and finally think I have what it takes to rebuild this car myself. Even though it may not be as nice as if I had a professional do it, I'll not only have a pleasure of knowing I did 100% of the project myself, but I'll keep costs down as well. The main object is just to get this baby back on the road and get people wondering "What kind of car is that? An Ohhh-pell?" hehe.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It's pretty good. I always keep the website updated with the latest pics if you want to check them out.

http://opelgt.sasktelwebsite.net

I know, I know. The website address keeps moving. :p I keep changing ISP's though. hah.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do since we moved to a new house and it has a very small garage compared to my old one. I don't know if I have room anymore to work on it. It may end up back in storage somewhere until some later date when I have more room/funds to work on it. I don't know yet.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Out of a '93 Mazda Precidia. They're almost like racing buckets, and very skinny so they fit the interior of the Opel very well. Other seats I tried were all way too wide for the GT's body.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
With the factory Precidia seat rails, yeah, it sits too high. I'm going to have to fabricate a custom bracket set in order to use those seats. Either that or remove the stock "H" seat attachment sheet metal from the floor of the opel so that it's just bare steel. One of the two.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.