Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well, since you asked. I wasn't going to say anything because I don't want to come across as the know it all. Looks like there are a few places where you have some rust through that you did not replace. My advice is to cut it out and replace it. If you just clean it the best you can and use filler over it, it may look good at first, but will eventually come back. Cut the cancer out and replace any metal with pin holes.

Then, on any panels that you have spread filler, coat the whole panel in sprayable filler. Most venders will refer to it as a high build polyester primer. If you don't, you will see little shadow lines through the final paint top coat where the filler ends and the metal begins.

Good luck. If you have little to no body work experience, expect to waste some $$ on trial and error to get it perfect. The biggest part of paint is in the prep.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well, since you asked. I wasn't going to say anything because I don't want to come across as the know it all. Looks like there are a few places where you have some rust through that you did not replace. My advice is to cut it out and replace it. If you just clean it the best you can and use filler over it, it may look good at first, but will eventually come back. Cut the cancer out and replace any metal with pin holes.

Then, on any panels that you have spread filler, coat the whole panel in sprayable filler. Most venders will refer to it as a high build polyester primer. If you don't, you will see little shadow lines through the final paint top coat where the filler ends and the metal begins.

Good luck. If you have little to no body work experience, expect to waste some $$ on trial and error to get it perfect. The biggest part of paint is in the prep.
Believe me I wanted a clean slate to see what I was working with. I didnt do any of the exterior at all. I only did the firewall/ transmission tunnel and that was cut out from another opel and welded in. Some floor was replaced and handmade by me. As for the bondo on exterior i just cringe...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
There's also some info here somewhere as to the air passages within the car too ( hopefully Gordon or others with a better description will chime in) that you 'll want to make sure you get as much of the dust/media out that will find it's way in there and cause drainage issues.
Awesome to hear your leading ( old school) it will out last the car when done properly

Reactions: soybean

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
There's also some info here somewhere as to the air passages within the car too ( hopefully Gordon or others with a better description will chime in) that you 'll want to make sure you get as much of the dust/media out that will find it's way in there and cause drainage issues.
Awesome to here your leading ( old school) it will out last the car when done properly
I'm interested in hearing that with the air passages! Lead will fill in any pin holes or whatever so I like it.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Well hopefully they will chime in. I know Gordon ( scifi guy) talked about it in this thread of his new project

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well hopefully they will chime in. I know Gordon ( scifi guy) talked about it in this thread of his new project
Quite the lengthy discussion I like the lights on that red opel its very unique. But 2 gallons of bondo??? Haha this has maybe a quart if that hahaha

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
813 Posts
Good luck with your build - getting the shell in great condition and starting there is in my humble opinion the dream come true. An opportunity to basically build a new car. Looks like you are off to a great start. Best part is you can take your time and get virtually all the information you will ever need on this forum and OGTS. Keep up the good work with lots and lots of pictures.;)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts