Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in our local Lowes Home Improvement Store and stumbled across a product that might be a low cost alternative to Dynamat.
Frost King Duct Insulation
It is a self adhesive foil-backed foam roll that is 12" wide 1/8" thick and 15 feet long and sells for about $15. I used something like this years ago and liked it because unlike the thicker foil back stuff this really conforms nicely to interior panels. I have not used it on doors or ceilings but I would think that a little added adhesive may help in those areas. It is not that heavy but only claims a "3" R value.
Anyone have any success with this stuff??

It is made by Thermwell products Frost King
1-800-frost20

·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much did you use Paul? This seems like a pretty good buy compared with DYNAMAT

·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it cut down on heat??

·
Incurable Opelitus
203 Posts
Hey Everyone,
I'm in the process of installing new carpet, and wanted to do some kind of sound deadening also. But, I didn't want to pay how much it would cost to do my whole floor in Dynamat ($$$). I knew there had to be a cheaper substitute, and I think I found one. At my local Lowes store, in the roofing section, is a material called Peel&Seal. It is a self-stick, aluminum-faced, rubberized asphalt material, used for flashing chimneys, valleys, etc. It comes in a 6 inch by 25 ft long roll, and is only about $15 per roll (12.5 sqft). It took almost 3 rolls to cover the entire floor, including the whole tunnel, and the area below the luggage compartment. The asphalt is 40 mils thick, so it's not as thick as Dynamat, but it could be doubled up. I only put on one layer, as I was worried about adding too much weight. The adhesive is quite sticky, and combined w/ the thick aluminum backing, conforms to the contours of the floor quite nicely. I have taken a test drive, w/ just the Peel&Seal installed, but with no carpet, and it does seem to have a soundproofing effect. I noticed that the electric fan I installed is even hard to hear now (of course, that may be partially due to plugging up a couple of holes in the firewall). I'll let everyone know how it is once the carpet pad and carpet are installed. Below are a couple of pics of the installed Peel&Seal, and one pic of the material itself and the label off the roll.
Randy

Attachments

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
How much did you use Paul? This seems like a pretty good buy compared with DYNAMAT
I bought two 32"x 54" sheets and used ALL of it. I put it on the tranny hump, under the back seat, inside the doors, on the rear wheel wells, etc... everywhere the factory didn't put it, I did! I even put some on the roof panel when I pulled the headliner.... It for sure cut down on the road noise... Might have been cheaper to just buy a really LOUD exhaust muffler.... LOL

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've added sound deadening material to the last few cars that I've owned and found B-Quiet Extreme www.bquiet.com to be the best. A 50 square foot roll is $85; 2 or more is $70 each. For me it's been well worth it. It's light-.33 lb/sq-ft and works as well or better than the best Dynamat product. It comes in 1 foot wide rolls, so it's easy to work with, and has an aluminized surface so it will have some insulating properties. This stuff has amazing adhesive on it so it won't come off and doesn't have to be heated before application.

I've also used about a dozen rolls of the J.C. Whitney stuff, and found that it's very heavy, and the glue is fair to poor compared to B-Quiet. It takes a long time for the asphalt smell to go away. It needs to be warmed in the sun or with a heat gun to stick best, and even then I've seen pieces come loose in places. The big sheets are much more difficult to work with, too.

Whatever you use, always use a small roller to press the stuff down, and make sure that it is stuck completely to any ridges in the sheetmetal. Also, two layers will give 3x the sound deadening that one layer does. My Passat daily driver is almost too quiet now!

·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Opeler
3,106 Posts
Seen Hushmat Home advertised on hot rod shows, but haven't had time to check cost comparison.

Like the ideas of "what's available" at local home improvement. Think thinner material is good choice at GT console areas. Heard that bulky material might cause some fit problems with carpet at the console area.

·
Opel Addicts
2,476 Posts

·
Opeler
3,106 Posts

·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wonder why none of the custom car building television shows(Chip Foose, Unique Whips..etc) are using this stuff...they all seem to use the dynamat type material

·
Super Moderator
13,933 Posts
I wonder why none of the custom car building television shows(Chip Foose, Unique Whips..etc) are using this stuff...they all seem to use the dynamat type material
The sponsor with the biggest wallet usually wins....

·
Opeler
149 Posts
So how many rolls of the B-Quiet did you need for the GT? I am most likely going to do the underside of my hood too so I will need to get the Ultimate.

I love this site!

Paulie

·
Opeler
149 Posts
Another weird question, would it be worth the time, effort, and possible cost to remove the dash and instrument panel and do sound killing there as well?

I may be showing my inexperience here but I want to close in, kill as much noise as possible, and keep out any heat as well.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,231 Posts
Ya'll are killing your acceleration, handling, and MPG with all that extra weight. :lmao: Strip her down 'till she sounds and resonates like a tin can. :yup: Seriously, when you get all of this sorted out I plan to look at your results to do something similar on my stuff.

Harold

·
Opeler
3,106 Posts
Another weird question, would it be worth the time, effort, and possible cost to remove the dash and instrument panel and do sound killing there as well?

I may be showing my inexperience here but I want to close in, kill as much noise as possible, and keep out any heat as well.

Thanks
Easy to remove GT instrument, dash panel. I would insulate/ soundproof the interior, firewall areas that are accessible. Would not remove dash unless I was restoring the cracks. One of my concerns with thicker materials is that all the components will fit back together. Mix and match will be the plan.

·
Opel Addicts
2,476 Posts
We used "Lizardskin". It paints on, so is very thin. It also reduces interior heat... important in our little GTs. This is used by many hod rodders. It would not be the most inexpensive route, but it does work.

Lizardskin Ceramic Insulation and Sound Control Spray-on Formula
Interesting cost comparison of Lizard Skin Vs Acoustic Mat.
Did you use Sound Control or Ceramic?
Does Lizardskin dry completely?
We used the ceramic. It deadens both heat and sound. It does dry completely. It requires a spray applicator, which is quite expensive. But, it is just an undercoating application gun, which you can get from Harbour Freight for about $20.

We actually rolled it on (which you are not supposed to do) which may? lessen its effectiveness. But, we decided too late (after exterior paint) to use it. We did put it everywhere, including the roof.

So far, it seems to be helping, but I've only driven the car a total of about 20 miles. We will know better after driving it more.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,567 Posts
Hey Everyone,
At my local Lowes store, in the roofing section, is a material called Peel&Seal. It is a self-stick, aluminum-faced, rubberized asphalt material, used for flashing chimneys, valleys, etc. It comes in a 6 inch by 25 ft long roll, and is only about $15 per roll (12.5 sqft).
Funny, I just used this on the Kadett too.. worked great. Also worked well covering up the battery box repair to the firewall.

Anyway, IMHO ... Its not like Dynamat.. I have used Dynamat and B-quiet.. I see NO DIFFERENCE other than it is in 6" W lengths and not 24" or 30" and costs 1/4 as much :) The Bquiet was 40mil, the Dynamat came in 30, 50 and 80 mil.

So for the most part its basically the same product.. Has the same smell, same stickyness, etc..etc.. etc.. but costs about $1.20 a sq ft instead of $3-4. Took four rolls to do my Kadett four door floors.. but I doubled it up on the firewall. It sticks to itself quiet nicely and the alumnimum seems to take to paint, and adhesive very well..

Charles

1 - 20 of 35 Posts