Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've place sound deadening material on the inside on the car but will it help to place it inside the door panels. I'm rebuilding the doors this weekend, it would be nice to put the material inplace now. How much would it really help? Has anyone tried this?

Stanley

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
Yes it helps!

Yels, sound deadening material in the doors helps!Depending on the type you are usind (peel-n-stick or spray-on) I would recommend ccovering at least 10-20 % of the inside of the outer door skin, preferably torwards the center of the panel.

The difference in interior noise is huge.

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep.....I need to start looking for a system soon.....Maybe this weekend.

Thanks,
Stanley

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey Guys I was wondering what different methods there are for sound deadening , what is the best , and what advantages to spray on versus matt if any?
Thanks, RITTER

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
Generally, the spray-on stuff will be a lot lighter, and will be far easier to apply in difficult area (i.e., not perfectly flat). I'm not talking about generic undercoating, but rather purpose-engineered sound deadening materials. I got a case of spray-on stuff from my friend when he worked at Tweeter (got it at cost), and even then, it's very expensive. But, it seems to do the job, and it does weigh far less. For instance, the guy I got my ITB Ascona chassis from had applied a bunch of extra sound deadening under the hood, the firewall, the doors, the floor, the rear deck area, the trunk lid....I removed over 140 lbs of the conventional type (Dynamat) sound deadening material. Yeesh. My Dad's GT is getting the lighter-weight stuff however, even though the engine will be powerful enough to make up for the extra weight.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
Cheap? We got Cheap!

My firetruck had actual roof shingles glued to the inside of the doors. Not light, exactly, but certainly cheap and effective.

Hey, you wanted cheap.

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
opelmark said:
140 POUNDS?? :eek: Yeah, that sounds kind of EXCESSIVE to me, too--about 130 pounds too much--so, go nuts
Not as much as you may think. A stock Opel has approx. 40-50 lbs of sound deadening and undercoating (I know, whenever I strip a car for racing I weigh what I remove). So this car had 'only' an additional 90-100 lbs. I remembered the brand of sound deadener I had used on the GT before, it was Rockford-Fosgate. Light blue stuff. It tends to be porous, so it's for interior use only. I sealed it with a coat of POR-15, so it doesn't rub off from abrasions and make a mess.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
opelmark said:
It seems to be another "trade-off" situation, where the car can either be faster, or more comfortable/quiet, but you can't really have both
SURE you can. Just add all the insulation you want, and drop in a small block Chevy.....(okay, I'm just kidding).
However, the way to go for 'serious' power is turboing a large displacement Opel motor, and using modern programmable fuel injection. Smooth idle, great torque, tons of power, and driveability. Downside? Money of course. But speed is addictive, and once you've started driving it, you'll want more boost, then less weight, then bigger tires, then more boost.....

Bob
'Putting a WRX IHI turbo on my 1971 Ascona wagon'

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
I have no problem with Gary reprinting it. It might be a good thing to have on the 'downloads' section. I'd probably make a few amendments or changes. I really think the only way to go now is with welding the intake....it's so much safer than epoxy in the long run.

As far as the turbo route, the turbo recommended depends on the reality of what kind of power you intend to run. As nice as low compression pistons *should* be for a turbo motor, the fact is the low comps are weaker than the flat-tops. For some reason, the ring lands fail even with 65 hp. I wouldn't trust them for boost! Turbo selection will depend on engine size, rpm range, boost levels to be run, fuel octane, volumetric efficiency, and the actual hp to be attained. I can guesstimate the turbo type to be used, but the true trim sizes and AR ratios are best left to the pros. I know an engineer at Garrett who's been very helpful, he e-mails me the correct turbo to use based on all my figures I feed him.

I happened to fall into a deal with a 1400-mile old WRX turbo, and it so happens that particular turbo can run up to about 17 psi boost before compressor surge is a problem, and will support about 300 hp. It also just so happens a 2.0 litre WRX engine has a similar bore/stroke ratio to an Opel, so it should be a good match for the Opel and have similar lag levels (except with 1000 less pounds of weight to carry around). I'm targeting 260-275 hp with a 2170 cc engine and 15 psi boost. If you want to continue on this thread, lets get onto the appropriate header!

Bob

·
Code Goober
243 Posts
Don't forget ebay too. I recently bought two gallons of the dynashield spray (application gun as well) for $150. The specs say that 12 oz. should be enough to do 4 sq. feet, so I'm going to do my GT's, then my diesels. Every once and a while, you'll see it come up for auction.

·
Code Goober
243 Posts
How's this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3002593032&category=14932

That price quote for retail is a complete load of crap though, That jug (same size as one I bought) is about $300-$350 retail. In addition, when this stuff gets cold, it tends to seperate, so shipping from MI may be problematic. My understanding, though, is that while the cold will ruin the spray cans of this stuff, the jug can be warmed and re-mixed. Good Luck,

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
Google for Dynashield

There are a lot of places to buy the stuff at a much lower price. I found the spray can for $14 and the 27 lb jug for $169.

FYI
Paul

·
Opel Addicts
2,464 Posts
Noise Killer

I checked out the website for NoiseKiller, but could find no price list or product list. I even tried their "[email protected]" contact button, but the message was returned as an undeliverable address. How did you order this stuff? It looks as though it could solve some problems for the Street Rod, as well as my other Opels.:confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts