Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have torn the old carpet and pad out of my 1972 Opel GT. Looking for a good resource for some soundproofing to put down first and then new pad and carpet. Where’s one of my best places to locate these items?

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
431 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
What are you using for carpet pad.....and how do you attach it ?? upholstery spray ? contact cement ?

Joel

·
Super Moderator
8,234 Posts
I believe OGTS is offering a padding kit as a new product. It's cut like the original was. Should work well with their original style carpet kits.

Harold

·
157 Posts
I believe OGTS is offering a padding kit as a new product. It's cut like the original was. Should work well with their original style carpet kits.

Harold
Actually OGTS padding is delivered in bulk and needs cutting... just received my shipment a month or so ago, and hopefully putting in today.
For sound deadening, I am using a product called FatMat that I purchased from Amazon... very similar to X-Mat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Richardo-
I have had good luck with Sound deadening materials from Eastwood.com. Search results for: 'x-mat' I especially liked the X-Mat for underhood and headliner.
In the floor I used "Peel & Seal". It is available at Lowes. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Peel-Seal-...s-6-in-x-25-ft-Aluminum-Roll-Flashing/1018733

Make sure to remove all rust, paint and seal the area before putting down the sound proofing.
View attachment 437789
Thanks so much. That’s very helpful

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
792 Posts
I have torn the old carpet and pad out of my 1972 Opel GT. Looking for a good resource for some soundproofing to put down first and then new pad and carpet. Where’s one of my best places to locate these items?
I tried the Eastwood sound proofing 20 years ago and thought it was just OK, not as dense as I would like . Since then I have read on this forum about some others that sound good but again I don't think they are as dense as something like Seal and Peel. I am not 100 % sure about that and would defer to those with more experience and with results from experience.. I also like the Peel and Seal from Lowe's or Home Depot as it is self adhesive, has a rubber component that is odor free and a top layer that is aluminum. Under $19.00 a roll and it would take about three layers to be effective, about the same thickness of some of the others that seem more like foam, again the rubber density of the seal and peel to me is attractive - I like the way it sticks on the surface and again I like the weight of the product, but just one layer won't produce the desired effects, I would recommend three layers. On top of that I would then place the carpet pad, which is just more sound proofing and then carpet. It is never going to be as quiet as a Lexus but it will help. If I had it to do over again I would have also sound deadened the transmission tunnel from below - hard to do after everything is in place and not totally sure what would be the best thing or the best way to do it to get the best results - but I think that is an area where not only a lot of noise enters but also heat. That and the fire wall.

·
Registered
835 Posts
SplendidParts sells an OEM quality sound deadening kit that is pre-cut, costing Euro 42.50 (about $50 USD) plus shipping. DynaMat' Dynaliner is also a high quality dense rubber self-stick material that I have used on my Triumph and the Factory Five build, although it is expensive. It comes in sheets and has to be cut to size.

·
Opeler
1,303 Posts
I used Dynamat Xtreme and then Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro as carpet padding. Humongous difference in sound and heat from stock to now.

Eric

·
Registered
23 Posts
Richardo-
I have had good luck with Sound deadening materials from Eastwood.com. Search results for: 'x-mat' I especially liked the X-Mat for underhood and headliner.
In the floor I used "Peel & Seal". It is available at Lowes. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Peel-Seal-...s-6-in-x-25-ft-Aluminum-Roll-Flashing/1018733

Make sure to remove all rust, paint and seal the area before putting down the sound proofing.
View attachment 437789
That sound deadening material looks good.

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
431 Posts
What are you using for carpet pad.....and how do you attach it ?? upholstery spray ? contact cement ?

Joel
Joel-
I like Eric's idea of "Second Skin's Luxury Liner Pro" for a carpet pad. It is a closed cell foam that should take care of some of the heat and noise. I just wish it were less expensive. Luxury Liner Pro™ Sheet - MLV + Foam

The white paint on the floor is Durabak w/ Ceasefire to help reduce heat as well. It is tough as hell, they use it to paint ships. Durabak Depot | Slip Resistant | Non Skid Textured and Smooth Paint

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have Fat Mat in the Coronet and the Lowes insulation (non-stick) in the Dart. Both cars are loud with big cams, headers, dual exhaust and I think the Lowes suppresses noise just as good or better than the Fat Mat. The Fat Mat seems better at deflecting heat, but the Opel doesn't generate as much heat through the floors as the big dual exhausts. If we ever redo the interior in Maria's GT I'll use the Lowes - much cheaper and lighter.
As for the carpet, I don't glue mine down. Going back to the Coronet and Dart; both PO's glued down the carpeting and what a PITA to get it up and then scrape off the residue. Between the seats, console, and door sills, the carpet will stay put. And you don't want to glue the carpet on top of your insulation.

·
Opel Key Master
5,289 Posts
Actually OGTS padding is delivered in bulk and needs cutting... just received my shipment a month or so ago, and hopefully putting in today.
For sound deadening, I am using a product called FatMat that I purchased from Amazon... very similar to X-Mat
Actually you would be incorrect. Opel GT source now has factory correct padding kits precut like the original.
Rectangle Wood Font Tints and shades Art

1 - 13 of 13 Posts