Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a couple weeks and a couple hundred miles I've come
to the realization that the wagon is waaayyy too noisy so
started down the path of trying to quiet the interior down
some. I priced Dynamat, picked myself up off the floor and
went looking for an alternative. Came across a product
called Peel & Seal, the real purpose of this stuff is roofing
repair but it seems like it will fit the bill at about 20% the
cost of Dynamat. Got it at Lowe's 6"X25' roll for 14 bucks.
Was able to do the storage area right behind the rear
axle with one roll. Will be doing the rear seat area and
inside the doors in a couple days. I'll let you know if I
hear, (or don't hear) a difference in db.

·
Opel Intern
1,290 Posts
If you could find somewone with a DB meter and have them let you borrow it, we could be all scientific about the sound attenuation with various materials. I did a science project about that in school a few years back, soo...

·
opel snob
156 Posts
Heh! Yes, they're ALL noisy.. especially once you put in exhaust, etc..

I took my wagon to a Line-X place, stripped-out of course, (just the driver's seat) and had it sprayed with bedliner.

Put the new carpet in, and the rest 2 days later...

One word: Incredible!

I imagine you could do the same thing yourself with that roll-on stuff you can buy @ the parts store..

Dynamat is awesome, but not really meant for complete coverage. More for small areas that 'drum' alot of noise like inside the door.

·
Non Civilian
2,092 Posts
Just install another muffler, it'll do the same thing but a whole lot cheaper.

·
Incurable Opelitus
203 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there Chris,
Ha, yeah, had the muffler installed before it even ran. Magna-flow.
The noise is pretty much everything else. Installed poly bushings
everywhere while it was laid up, that sure don't help with the
road noise. I feel like I'm riding a motorcycle 'cept with no wind
whippin' through the hair. (Well, not much hair to have the wind
whipping through anyway.) I guess noise is part of the
enjoyment of Opeling anyway.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oops, well, it looks like it's all been covered in the last year.
Sorry, I thought I was on to something and wanted to spread
the word.
Don.

·
Opel Addicts
2,476 Posts
Use the same link wolfmann posted above and look at post 11 about Lizardskin. That is what we used on our v8 opel.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Check my album . I've just done what your looking at.I used dynamat around the transmission & the roofing stuff on everything else.Also used a spray that deactivates any rust before I put anything down then the sound deadeners ,then the underlay & new carpet from OGTS..Looks & really deadens the sound.Good luck

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have read about this before on a stereo forum for a cheap alternative on sound deadening. They all thought Duramat was too expensive. There was a question then whether the Peel & Seal was going to release a tar smell when the car interior got hot. Was wondering if you have had any experience with a smell or not? Thanks, George.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello George,
Been close to 90 the last couple days and have
experienced no petro smell. Another worry was
whether or not the adhesive would stay stuck
in the heat. So far it's stayed stuck to what it
was stuck to in the first place. All is good.
Don.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hello George,
Been close to 90 the last couple days and have
experienced no petro smell. Another worry was
whether or not the adhesive would stay stuck
in the heat. So far it's stayed stuck to what it
was stuck to in the first place. All is good.
Don.
Thanks for the update.

·
Opelizer
146 Posts
I've been looking for Peel n' Seal at Lowes and Home Depot for monoths. No one there has heard of it and when I describe it, they just look at me with a blank stare. Can anyone tell me specifically what aisle or what other items are sold around it or if there is another source outside of Lowes "Don't knows"?

Thanks, Rick

·
Non Civilian
2,092 Posts
I've been looking for Peel n' Seal at Lowes and Home Depot for monoths. No one there has heard of it and when I describe it, they just look at me with a blank stare. Can anyone tell me specifically what aisle or what other items are sold around it or if there is another source outside of Lowes "Don't knows"?

Thanks, Rick
It would be in roofing repair.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,415 Posts
Peel & Seal

I found it at Lowe's by the rolls of starter shingles. The item number is 154017 and it's $14.93 for a 6" x 25' roll.
For those of you who may be near a Menard's, they have what appears to be a similar product. It's called ProtectoWrap Quik-Fix roof & gutter repair tape. It comes in the same size roll for $12.68 and has a white surface.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
706 Posts
I thought I had discovered something new but based on the above posts guess not, however with that said I have used the Peel and Seal on one of my interior doors and yes it gives it a much more solid sound when closing the door and has got to help with general road noise as well, I used used three layers. It also added strength and rigidity to the pressed board and unlike the pressed board this stuff is water proof.
  • Cost is up to 18.00 and change per 6 inch by 25 foot roll. It took one and 1/2 rolls to do the area shown in the picture
  • There is no smell after it is applied as I was concerned about that as well - the Opel still smells like the Opel
  • I purchased it a Lowe's Home Improvement Store
  • It can be found in the roofing department and is used around windows as flashing appears to be very durable stuff
  • I also added a strip of vinyl on the support that holds the vertical board that holds my speakers, this was just to prevent yellow from showing through and to give the board/speakers a softer ride
  • In the event I take out the Gas Tank I will also line that area with Peel and Seal - I also used the sound proofing mats from East Wood back in the late 90's to do the floors and also used carpet foam over that - not sure the carpet foam really adds anything - I will most likely discard that for something a bit thinner and better
  • If I were starting a new project car there are so many things I would do differently and sound proofing the whole car would be one of them - not something that is easy to do after the fact and I was focused on getting the car back on the road and not taking my time to do it right the first time.
  • See Pictures :

The next picture is a before picture:

After Picture:

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,349 Posts
What you bought was probably a bit of overkill, since you don't need it to be puncture and waterproof. The same basic stuff in various thicknesses is available on Ebay as "automotive sound proofing" or "firewall mat". Basically it's foamed butyl rubber with one self adhesive side and fiber-reinforced, heat reflecting, foil on the other side. I usually buy the 1/4" thick stuff and use it everywhere. I'm not a fan of putting self adhesive stuff on the floorboards of the footwells and under the seats, doing so can trap any water that gets into the car and cause rust. You can use the stuff on your floorboards, but don't stick it to the floor, just lay it on the floor. If you lay several layers of the 1/4" thick stuff on the floor you will get a huge drop in noise in the car. At my previous job I had access to indestructible rubber 3/8" thick conveyor belt, so I have that as the bottom layer on my floorboards. The more layers of stuff you put on your firewall, footwell area, floorboards, and under the fuel tank/spare tire area the quieter your car will be.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts