Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1- floorboards are known to rust on a gt
2-my floorboards are wet after driving in the rain

water is coming in on both sides somewhere below the lower left and right airvent on my car, i pullled all the mats and insulation to dry it out

question 1-what is the origin of the water? I think it must be the wheel wells, i have a gap and parts of the rubber strip in the well is gone,a lot of the original undercoating is gone

question2- Should i coat the wheel wellls with truck bed liner?
thanks

·
Non Civilian
2,091 Posts
i know exactly what you are describing. i fought the phantom leak for 5 years till i found it. the water is likely coming in from behind the door weather strip.. it will drip down the strip and pool at each end of the door. replacing the weather strip with new ones does NOT fix the problem. the water just passes behind it. i used some black silicone sealer in the grove of the stripping and pressed it on again and whalah! leaks have gone away. 2 years now and no leaks YAHOO!! drove me nuts for years. driving in a foggy GT is a royal PITA.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
The leaks that are common to a GT are the front glass outer corners, missing or bad body seals like in the floor or firewall and used up door weatherstripping bits. Most of the time you can find it by puttind a Kleenex in the window corners and door corners and giving it a real good wash. It may take a bit but usually that is all it takes to find the wet spot.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You did it!

Opelwasp saves the day! That's exactly what's going on with mine. I was getting ready to look into all kinds of weather stripping and gasketing for those doors (mainly driver side) and I'm glad I read this first. I had thought about silicone as well but I probably would have tried a more hit and miss approach. At the bottom corner of the doors you can see where the PO didn't work very hard on the paint and some fresh rust is visible. Floorboard was soaking wet after a good storm. However, I did find a crappy 'bead up and drip' leak from the passenger side rear window. Think that's from a corner where the strip meets up and is not seated well. Maybe another bit of silicone? Who knows.
Opeldean can you let me know what happens or how things turn out? I'm thinking I may have more leaks under all this carpet - haven't checked it all out. Where are the gaps in your wheel wells?

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
Another important place to check is the drains at the ends of the cowl. There is one on each side. The passenger side exits near the heater hose connections and the drivers behind the fender. Both can be easily plugged with dirt or leaves. Use a piece of wire to clean them out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Leaky door weatherstrip

Thank-you opelwasp!
I am restoring the interior due to these annoying leaks.
As stated, I have replaced the weatherstrip, but it still leaks.
I have reviewed the experiences posted here and have
decided on the following products:
QuietCar, Thermal Ceramic paint additive, Whispermat.
I will post the results when complete.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Leak checks

Between all these posts and the good ideas (and experience) we ought to have a checklist in the Tips forum. In fact, there are a lot of Tips lists that would be useful to compile. I've already got about six good places to look into from this thread.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
water source

opel wasp, i think you are right on.

I dont think water is coming thru my wheel wells, but down the door gasket,
my door gaskets were bought last year, they are like new.

water is pooled in the circled red area.

i will get everything dried out and see. even a small rain will make it wet in the floor, it comes in quite fast.

note: I usualy wash the heck out of my wheels well making sure the drains are working. I dont recall that event as making the floors wet.

I will seal the weather strips in and see.

thanks opel wasp

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
seal here

I always wondered the purpose of that flap, I think its purpose was to direct the door strip water to the outside,

the problem is mine is Gapped?...if you have dry floors..does yours touch to form a complete "Y"?

I think one large DAB of sealant will fix the whole thing

Attachments

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Dean just below where you circled looks like a big gap. Kinda like it's not attached. I put new gaskets in mine with no sealant of any kind and after pressure washing it there were no leaks.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
There are also metal pieces in that gasket that keep it in shape and help it clip on and seal. You might need to squeeze them a bit in that area to get the gasket to stay put. It should look like this.

Attachments

·
Non Civilian
2,091 Posts
from what i understand most people do not have a problem with their door seals sealing. but i do know some do and this seems to fix the problem. i suppose it may be the batch of seals. anyways i always like the idea of having a silicone seal anyways, but dont use too much, it can get messy. i used no more than a 1/4" bead in the groove.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
function of this

the "y" - horizontal piece? what is it?..I dont think its meant to divert water,..

water flows right down the seal and onto the rocker..water was getting behind my seal .

Attachments

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Ok ya got me on what that is. I've never seen it or maybe remembered it on any of my cars. My best guess to it's function is to confuse somebody later on.... wind noise maybe?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I don't know either, I just checked both sides of my door jams and it's not there on my 72 GT. Maybe somebody's idea to make a drain channel or diverter and that's what you got. Wierd. :confused:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Had to go check on my '70 after seeing that. Nothing like that on mine either. Strange.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
ive found on my gt that if your window rubber for your door windows is not correctly installed or old and warn a small amount of water can make its way in when u are doing a high pressure wash.

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
namba209 said:
I don't know either, I just checked both sides of my door jams and it's not there on my 72 GT. Maybe somebody's idea to make a drain channel or diverter and that's what you got. Wierd. :confused:

These are stock channels and were only attached to early '69 GTs, as far as I remember being told by OGTS.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts