Opel GT Forum banner

sourcing a leak(s) in the tranny and looking for what you would do on a another issue

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  slow_solo_focus 
#1 ·
So I'm in a bit of a dilemma, there is a pretty obvious leak in the ascona b (1.2 S) by where the transmission (4-speed) and driveshaft meet up. I touched a thing where it looks like where the shifter goes and had red liquid residue on my finger. My guess is trans fluid.

Also the bottom half of the engine bay is disgustingly dirty. Normally I wouldn't care and I'd just drive it but because the inspections here are stupid retarded I need to clean it to pass. That and I'm sure it's probably leaking too, should fix it anyways.

So my question is, should I pull the engine and trans out to clean it? If so where should I lift it from?
Would it be easier to just buy a new to me motor and trans and swap it in?
Do I pull up my skirt and just work with what I've got?

If I work with what I got, I'll need some transmission experts to help figure out why the shift stalk has a bunch of liquid on it and where to look for leaks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, I don't know anything about an Ascona 1.2, but it looks like the transmission area is free of complicated stuff to remove and that it doesn't appear that it would a complicated job to remove the tranny. You should try to get the factory service manual for your car, either in book form or electronicallly from a website, and read up on how to remove the transmission.

One question first: Have you detected that you are low on transmission fluid in your tranny? That will help to point the finger at the tranny seals or gasket or fittings or whatever.

The transmission seals and gasket on our older Opels are fairly easy to install, I'm sure that they sell transmission seal and gasket sets for your tranny, too.

I suggest finding a download or a paper book on how to remove your car's tranny and then go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.