Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently Pickle is in OKC or I would measure it myself, but I need the measurement between the lift spot behind the front wheel to the lift spot in front of the rear wheel. Think I found a lift that I can afford, but need to know this distance. Many thanks

·
Registered
760 Posts
Just measured driver's side on my 69. 81.75 inches center to center.

There are other safe places to place a lift. I lifted Opels hundreds of times and don't believe I ever used a jack lift point, except when using the jack.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,409 Posts
Yeah, those oem jack points are not a very good place to jack up the car. Okay for a fixing a flat on the road, but that's about it. They're only fastened to the thin sheet metal of the floorboards and rockers and, as we all know, those areas rust like crazy. I was working on the muffler area of a somewhat rusty GT and banging on stuff, when I heard a clunk come from somewhere in the front of the car. I walked around the car and the left front jack point had just fallen off the car! (See my post #33 for a revised post about these comments).

Better to lift at the frame rails or just underneath of the front spring eyes or under the spring buckets in the back.

Get a 4-post lift that you can drive onto. 2-post lifts are scary.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have been using my two-post lift for years for my GT. I have never used anything but the lift points for placing the "shoes" of the lift. Never a single problem. One can do much more with a two-post than a four-post although both are extremely important tools especially as we age and cannot crawl under like we once could. To each his own.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, from talking with Leo and information he sent me on here. One, car lifts are not cheap! Doesn't matter two post or four post. This Quick Jack that I found only lifts to 2' and the car would set on a rail, top piece on the jack. So the whole side would be lifted from lift point to lift point, both sides of the car. About $1900 shipped to my door. I have several equipment companies looking for a used low ceiling two post lift. My garage/shop is big enough for one and a Max Jack looks like the one I would like to get my hands on. I have a motorcycle lift and when I lift a bike I use ratchet straps to secure the bike to it. Couple of days ago I finally insulated my garage door and what a difference that made! Temperatures hit 100° yesterday and shop stayed at 85° with just a fan. All the walls and ceiling are insulated and finished with drywall. Thinking about running some duct work to AC the shop. I have an okay stereo pumping music through Polk Audio speakers, so wrenching is comfortable. I have options and will continue to look. Again, thanks for the information! Hope to meet some of you in Springfield.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Called and talked to David about a Quick Jack and before our conversation ended, I asked him about two post car lifts, guess what they make Max Jack, both of them by Bend Pak. Long story short, I can get brand new two post Max Jack to my door for $4000 and he would throw in a mechanic's roller chair. Now just need to come up with the $$$$. This would definitely fit in my space and better than the 24" lift I would get out of a Quick Jack. I asked about used equipment or dent models and currently they don't have any in stock, but to ask when I'm ready to purchase and that price could come down by another $1000. Progress!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First, thanks for the information. I gave them a call and actually talked to the owner. He explained to me the prices are outdated and the container issue out in CA has caused the prices of his lifts to double, then shipping is an additional cost. I told him I was looking at a Max Jack and he told me that he has had three or four customers that had them and didn't like them, he said that they're great on space but they didn't like the operation. I told him the only thing I want to lift is my Opel GT. I don't think he was getting the lack of weight issue. Supposed to send me a total cost and some pictures. We'll see, lol.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The link you sent me, he sent me a quote of $3100 for a two post lift, he was supposed to send me shipping, nothing yet. But I told him Max Jack was $4000 to my door, plus a mechanic's roller chair.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would park my Harley under the car. Currently I can get both in no problem, but I have to roll the bike to do any work to my GT. I added a little GT touch to my shop today!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Watch your head when walking around under the lift (ask me how I know this). I’m not quite 5’7”, and my garage ceiling is about 11.5 ft, but I try to stay in the habit of keeping my arm over my head when I’m moving around under the lift to reduce the brain damage :p

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I got a high lift four post just for head clearance. Had enough head bangs in the tire shop. With a GT on it it has about 74” clearance to the runways and 26-28” above the GT with a 12’ ceiling. It could go higher but there’s no need. With a 9.5’ ceiling you don’t really need a low ceiling lift as long as the posts clear, just don’t raise it all the way. If you’re worried about accidentally raising it too high there is probably a limit switch you can adjust downward. The lifts aren’t real fast so an accident is unlikely as long as you don’t fall asleep while raising it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I cracked my skull in 99, so brain damage is already there, lol. Spent six years in USMC, I know head wounds bleed! Looks lot worse than actual harm. I have a hard hat too, lol. Eventually I'm going to have a car lift, to bad my motorcycle lift won't work, lol. I think I came to the car lift party late, prices are crazy!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay with shipping it puts his lift over $4000 and no mechanics chair. So Max Jack is it for new, but I'm holding out for used, hopefully there's one, just need to find it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have a couple of four post lifts in a garage with a ceiling just a tick UNDER 10 foot. You just can't raise them all the way up!! If that scared you, it would be easy to put hook up a safety cut off that shuts off power when the car gets too high.
I know times have changed, but I bought BOTH of these lifts brand new from Greg Smith for $3800 ($1900 each) back in 2015. They were shipped to a terminal in OKC, and I went to pick them up with my 18 foot car hauler trailer.

Sherri and I put them up in an afternoon. Piece of cake. The downside of the four post is you MUST get at least one tray and jack, which is extra, if you want to be able to pull the wheels.
Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate

1 - 20 of 39 Posts