Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im considering not installing the spare tire in my gt.... this would allow alot more storage space in the back of the GT. i have driven over a million miles in the last 30 years and only had one flat tire..
what do you guys think?? check out my restored trunk area in the membes section.... it looks awesome!!!

The last item i have to restore in the back is the snap down flap... i was thinking about trashing it and making one out of a piece of 1/4" plywood and covering it like the items below it then mounting it on a piano hinge... check out the pic and let me know what ya think

Joe Van Wagnen
71 2.4L GT

·
82 Posts
I’m about to post pictures of what I did. It will be obvious I went with the no-spare option.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a spare at my house and a cell phone. If I get a flat I call in a favor to one of my friends and have them pick it up along with some tools for me.

·
82 Posts
How long does it normally take to get pictures approved. I think you'll like what's in place of my spare.

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
409 Posts
What No Spare???

Hey! Your the guy I always hear at stop lights.
Boom! Boom! Boom!

·
82 Posts
Did the whole thing for under $200 dollars with a CD/MP# player. three cheers for after Thanksgiving sales!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
That's why they invented Scissor Jacks!

·
82 Posts
I removed the platform where the spare would normally rest. The woofer actually has a three cubic foot sealed enclosure behind it. I do like your hinge idea. Maybe mount a doughnut tire? You have to be careful as that area is exposed to the outside, and may bring in exhaust gasses. I also put in some batting to help keep the interior noise to a minimum.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
your speakers look good!!! i dont want to give up the area behind it though.... im going to skip the spare and make a nice holder for the jack & tools.... at least i can take the flat off and haul it somewhere to get a new one.... im going to redo the hat shelf and make a nice hinged wood cover with small straps that will hook on the coathanger hooks to keep the door up.. ill post a pic when i get it done

·
Registered
84 Posts
yeah, I took my spare out once I put snow tires on my GT. I'll leave it out, too.

It gives me room for spare fluids and my 6x9" Speaker boxes :)

·
Opel Newbie, Truck Oldie
22 Posts
Not a GT, but I don't run a spare on my truck anymore...the original spare wheel won't clear my disc brakes on front, and the tire (if you could call it that...it was semi-round, hard, delaminating, etc) was narrower and taller than any of my tires. (245/60 front, 275/60 rear...a good 1-2" difference, and the spare was taller than my rears!)

I've never had a flat on the road. Not with two sets of Radial T/As or my current set of Yokohama Avid S/Ts *knock on wood*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts