Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the idea from Jimsky.He shows a picture of a 4 in polk speaker in the kick panel.

I used a 3.5 in.-sony 2 way that I bought on ebay- new in box.
$30 for a pair(I already have 2 -6x9's in the the back.so I have plenty of bass.)..but i needed additional speakers ..especially when I put items in the back.

here is my instalation:

the purpose of this post is:
1)-mount your speaqkers about 1/2 -1 in higher than mine ..I hit the hinge suport rod..it worked fine tho

2)I liked the stretch fabric lycra that I used. my old vinyl looked
wrinkled and bad. I just used the stretch fabric over the existing
fiberboard-foam panel.position your vent and push thru the material..cut your vent hole last..the stretch fabric allows you to do this. stretch fabric tucks easily into the weather strip...good luck

PS:speakers sound good.it helps with sound upfront and I didn't have to ruin my doors.

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sparks

one spark or 100..does it matter when you are dealing with gas fumes? I will never forget you pushing GT OPEL
(later to be know as Celeste) over the colorado divide with dripping gas inches from the resonator...I am glad you trusted your intuition...

I thought I would add an action photo..pretty isn't it?

Did you know celeste has 211,000 miles on her? i found some old
midas records..I guess i am the second owner to license her...:D

the new carb was put on 70,000 miles ago so i guess it needs a rebuild regardless of how it runs.

she is running excellent.just gassy when i stop and she is hot..i think it is a float level problem..I have to study this one...

speaker install cleaned up the kick panels ...my interior and
hat tray remain clean too....(jimsky always has good ideas)
did you see my post of my 3rd brake light? I bought it on ebay for $4..new in box.i am selling a bike on ebay..it is a guerciotti..i already have bids. i will pm you a message ..non opel

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
speaker-left kick panel

the purpose of this post is to publish the measurement so that
the next person will do better and faster than me.

I believe the measurement for the kick panel 3.5 in speaker is

6 inches up and 1 inch over:D

Before you ever consider cutting additional holes in your doors or hat tray area..BUCKY says go to the kick panel.it is a better acoustic postion of the highs and mids..these are not expensive
speakers on ebay....use your fader control/equilizer and you will
have a stereo second to none...my stereo now outperforms my premium factory stereos that were in my nissan maxima and my
mazsda 929....the small interior volume of the opellgt makes music sound like headphones...

PS:thanks again Truman

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just wondering, what do you think is the largest diameter speaker that will fit in the kick panel? Would a 6 or 6 1/2 fit without hitting any pertinent rods? Could you just cut a bigger hole where the existing speaker hole is and swap that out there with a 6 1/2? I'd be grateful for any input.

I have a complete Infinity system and would rather keep the 6 1/2's I have and mount them there than switch to a smaller speaker.

Also, what is the depth behind the kick panel wall?

Thanks.

·
82 Posts
Here's my speaker install. I used 1/8" fiber board to mount vinyl, kick vents, and speaker.

I used a jigsaw to cut the holes.

Hint... Take out your seats to get better access to your under dash areas.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Billiard, I used a Dremel to cut my footwell and wiper wells on my V-6/T-5 mod, but I used the cutting wheels and you can only cut in a straight line. A rotary file may work but it will take a while. I suggest using the cutoff wheels and then finish opening with the rotary file or coarse sanding drums. HTH.

Ron

·
boomerang opeler
5,641 Posts
hi bucky
i know this is off thread but do you have a thermal isolater between the carb and manifold?
if not you will have heat soak and this will givea gassey smell when you stop the car as its boiling of fuel
almost hit the otto lock there:D

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
heat shield

i just got a heat shield and the new spacers.we will see

·
Opeler
190 Posts
Is it possible to mount the speakers where the vent is/was in the kick pannels? They seem the perfect size for the small sony speakers.

·
Super Moderator
9,765 Posts
hustlerzlife said:
Is it possible to mount the speakers where the vent is/was in the kick pannels? They seem the perfect size for the small sony speakers.
I have done this mount on several GT's. It takes a little metal work, but, it's doeable

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
speakers

i dont see why not,but that vent sure feels good on the feet .

·
82 Posts
Look @ my gallery. It shows a sony 5in an the vent in place

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
not to be the odd ball here but you all know that all exterior elements pass through that particular section. Just hit the center grill or wiper arm mount area with a water hose and see where the water goes.

·
Opeler
190 Posts
I was planning on sealing the vent off from the top. I don't think it would be wise even if it was just a vent for that water to be able to get easily in there.

·
Non Civilian
2,100 Posts
You can also get foam speaker surrounds to protect them from the elements.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.