Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 350 Posts

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,426 Posts
If anyone knows anything about Pick-A-Parts that the magic years are 10-20 year old cars.

Well in my search for some 2.4L EFI parts, I made contact with a parts recycler in Poland on the other side of the German border.

He is getting a number of Fronteras now to the tune of a few 2.4Ls a month.

He strips the motor and then sends the bodies to Russia as parts.

So.... I am looking to get a number of 2.4Ls, a 4 speed automatic ( He found one of the Senator A ones for me.. ) and maybe some other parts and shipping them to me in a 1992 Frontera :)

So the real question is... who is in the market for a complete intake to oil pan 2.4L ? These will probably have to be picked up in Virginia, ( Or possibly Carlisle/Charlotte) and will need a complete going over, i.e. tear down, new bearings, rings and gaskets. But they will be complete and good to go, not locked up.

Cost will be about $2000-$2500 each once we get pricing on shipping.

I was going to crate ship a few, but the cost to ship a crate just 2 was a lot.

Buying a car and then shipping it looked cheaper. I kind of always wanted a Frontera anyway.

I wouldn't think I would have them for Carlisle, but probably Charlotte.

FWIW Found this gem.. :)

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/engine-swap-forum/29373-2-4-cih-install-into-opel-gt.html

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I was going to crate ship a few, but the cost to ship a crate was nuts..
Are you sure you got the price for sea freight and not air freight on those crates ?

I had over 50 lbs worth of brake parts shipped to me from the US and the actual shipping cost was around 50 dollars

I used my shipping agent's calculator and I figured I could get 2 engines on a standard sized pallet (what we call a "Eur1" pallet here, 31.5x47.24 in) the shipping cost from the US to Norway would be around 250-300 dollars for the pallet.

If you go with the "fill up the car option" just be aware that you can't ship it as a "roll on roll off" item and it will be need to be loaded into a container. They won' accept *any* loose items inside a car when shipped as "ro-ro" and they almost threw out the full and half tonneau covers for my TR6 that was stored in the booth despite it being obvious that they belonged to the car because they matched the interior color.

Frontera eh, they neve sold that many of them here and I haven't seen one on the road for ages and I just checked the biggest used car web site here and while there was 11 Fronteras for sale on there none of them had the 2.4 petrol engine

·
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure you got the price for sea freight and not air freight on those crates ?

I had over 50 lbs worth of brake parts shipped to me from the US and the actual shipping cost was around 50 dollars

I used my shipping agent's calculator and I figured I could get 2 engines on a standard sized pallet (what we call a "Eur1" pallet here, 31.5x47.24 in) the shipping cost from the US to Norway would be around 250-300 dollars for the pallet.

If you go with the "fill up the car option" just be aware that you can't ship it as a "roll on roll off" item and it will be need to be loaded into a container. They won' accept *any* loose items inside a car when shipped as "ro-ro" and they almost threw out the full and half tonneau covers for my TR6 that was stored in the booth despite it being obvious that they belonged to the car because they matched the interior color.

Frontera eh, they neve sold that many of them here and I haven't seen one on the road for ages and I just checked the biggest used car web site here and while there was 11 Fronteras for sale on there none of them had the 2.4 petrol engine
Thanks I will check with him.

Who is your agent..?

·
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2.4L parts have been offered recently on Ebay by seller "ravt16v" who lists his location as Bogatynia, Poland.
Yes that would be the guy.. and your point..?

Obviously shipping in bulk for something that weighs 200 KG is the way to go.

Are you offering to arrange everything..?

·
Opeler
718 Posts
Charles, keep me in the loop on this. I may be interested in one if the price with shipping is reasonable.

David

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Thanks I will check with him.

Who is your agent..?
I use a company called Jetcarrier.com but they don't do Europe to US but they probably have connections that might be able to help. They provide a proxy addy in the US that I can have stuff shipped to and then when all of my stuff has arrived they toss it in a container and ship it across the pond and then arrange shipping to my house or I can pick it up at their goods terminal here. The low exchange rate of the dollar made the US a very interesting place for Europeans to shop so there are a number of companies like this catering to Europeans.

I assume there are similar companies providing the same service to US citizens as well now that the dollar is stronger again but for something like this I bet a pro shipping agent would be just as useful

The great thing about sea freight is not only will the rates be cheaper for obvious reasons but we're also getting very good deals on smaller stuff like this because it helps them fill up the containers. The stuff we ship is basically a bonus for them because of the surplus shipping capacity whereas for air freight you're competing for space.

I did a quick Google search and this company doesn't list container freight from Europe to the US but they do list cars from Germany to Europe so it may be worth checking with them, at the very least they should be able to point you in the right direction

International Car Shipping from USA. Get Cost to Ship Auto Overseas.

·
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Charles, keep me in the loop on this. I may be interested in one if the price with shipping is reasonable.

David
We are looking at shipping options.. He hasn't shipped a crate or container before.But he ( as everyone can see on his Ebay profile ) dealt with shipping items to the US, but usually smaller things.

He is the one I got my 2.4L fuel rail from.

If I do the small container thing.. then I can bring over 4-6 engines and misc.. so it could really cut the costs for everyone. Basically the long block cost is 800-1100 euro depending on mileage and overall condition, also if it is with or without the EFI. Then there is shipping, customs, duty, etc..

I'm doing this mainly to save on shipping for me and help others that don't want to deal with the logistics. Kill two birds with one stone, and save money for everyone.

Right now he is getting in a few Fronteras a month, and if he can sell in bulk that could also help with prices. So the more people interested the lower the cost.

·
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I use a company called Jetcarrier.com but they don't do Europe to US but they probably have connections that might be able to help. They provide a proxy addy in the US that I can have stuff shipped to and then when all of my stuff has arrived they toss it in a container and ship it across the pond and then arrange shipping to my house or I can pick it up at their goods terminal here. The low exchange rate of the dollar made the US a very interesting place for Europeans to shop so there are a number of companies like this catering to Europeans.

I assume there are similar companies providing the same service to US citizens as well now that the dollar is stronger again but for something like this I bet a pro shipping agent would be just as useful

The great thing about sea freight is not only will the rates be cheaper for obvious reasons but we're also getting very good deals on smaller stuff like this because it helps them fill up the containers. The stuff we ship is basically a bonus for them because of the surplus shipping capacity whereas for air freight you're competing for space.

I did a quick Google search and this company doesn't list container freight from Europe to the US but they do list cars from Germany to Europe so it may be worth checking with them, at the very least they should be able to point you in the right direction

International Car Shipping from USA. Get Cost to Ship Auto Overseas.
Thanks yea.. I see that a lot ( The US to Europe service.. ) but havent been able to find a good one that is the other way around. Must be a customs thing.

·
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd be interested in a 2.4, depending on price with shipping and getting it to Washington.
Price would be in the $2000 range.. depending on if you want the EFI or not.

Shipping would be on you. Look online for LTL crate.. but would guess $300-$500

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Price would be in the $2000 range.. depending on if you want the EFI or not.

Shipping would be on you. Look online for LTL crate.. but would guess $300-$500
Happy to pay shipping and crating. Have you used someone to crate stuff before? I'd build the crate except for being on the other side of the country.

Are used engines typically shipped drained of oil or is that an additional hassle? A few drops are to be expected but nobody wants an oil flood.

·
Opeler
1,124 Posts
I would be HUGEly interested in a 2.4, unfortunetly with being layed off and money tight AND the fact that I have everything or have invested in everything to do the 2.0 option AND I have (3) 1.9's AND it would be best if I had a Getrag 5 speed to go with a 2.4, and all I have is (3) 4 speeds,................................ well you can see where I am at with the idea. Oh well, to dream :sad:

·
Super Moderator
13,358 Posts
Not sure about current laws, but back in the day I needed to have the sender in Europe remove the cylinder head from any complete late model engines I shipped from Europe. At that point they qualified as replacement parts per customs and the EPA.

Shipping a 'complete' engine without paperwork showing EPA compliance meant the engines could be seized and crushed at your expense.

Might want to check with customs first.

Definitely want oil drained first BTW!

·
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well they will be drained.. AND in pieces. Shipping an engine to the US is a no-no, shipping heads and long blocks.. thats OK.. ( Go figure )

So far with shipping its looking like about..

2.4L Crank/Rods/Piston set = 900 USD shipped

2.4L Stripped block ( NO EFI, NO Oil Pan ( Not that you need it ) ) - 1500 USD

2.4L Complete with EFI wiring and ECU = 2000 USD

IF I get ( and its really dependent on how many people step up ) a container.. if anyone wants finds something on ebay Germany they want, I could find room in the container.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Well they will be drained.. AND in pieces. Shipping an engine to the US is a no-no, shipping heads and long blocks.. thats OK.. ( Go figure )

IF I get ( and its really dependent on how many people step up ) a container.. if anyone wants finds something on ebay Germany they want, I could find room in the container.
I had to go and look up what you guys were talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaZgatoMSuM

·
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
2,077 Posts

Put me down for a complete 2.4 engine for $2k. Not sure how I'll get it to WA but we can figure it out.

·
7,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 350 Posts